Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
MAP reading caught my eye, might want to pput a gauge to check.

13 mpg - using British gallons or standard ?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I got a V8, 02. 265/65 17 tyres and 2" lift.

From the below readouts can anybody see anything obvious.
Shoes size Kiwi?

Did you adjust your miles
taking your tyre size into account.

What's your point to point av speed?

On or off road?

Did you get your MPG from
the guessometer above the screen?

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
I got a V8, 02. 265/65 17 tyres and 2" lift.

From the below readouts can anybody see anything obvious.
The first sentence of your post, that's why. My V8 started at around 15-14 mpg tested, not from the guessometer. After a 3" lift and 265/70-17 tires that dropped to 12-13 mpg using the same test method and tire size change factored in.

·
Registered
1986 Jeep Cherokee
149 Posts
There is a reality we all have to live with now. Our president has authorized 15% ethanol in gasoline now. That means you take a ten percent hit in milage for every 5% ethanol. Another thing to make it more expensive to driveMy vehicles have taken an even bigger hit in CA and there is nothing I can do about it

·
Registered
814 Posts
There is a reality we all have to live with now. Our president has authorized 15% ethanol in gasoline now. That means you take a ten percent hit in milage for every 5% ethanol. Another thing to make it more expensive to driveMy vehicles have taken an even bigger hit in CA and there is nothing I can do about it
I believe your numbers are quite inflated..... but yes, MPG is reduced when ethanol is mixed in.

"Ethanol contains about one-third less energy than gasoline. So, vehicles will typically go 3% to 4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 and 4% to 5% fewer on E15 than on 100% gasoline. "
From a report by the EPA, Oak Ridge National Lab:

J

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The first sentence of your post, that's why. My V8 started at around 15-14 mpg tested, not from the guessometer. After a 3" lift and 265/70-17 tires that dropped to 12-13 mpg using the same test method and tire size change factored in.
I think Kiwi has bigger gallons than you Cd.
I think Kiwi has Imperial Gallons.
9 Imp Galls roughly equals 10 US Gals.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Yes, Imperial for him. My point was a lift and bigger tires are going to negatively affect mileage which bone stock isn't very good. Like you said as well, foot weight and where it is driven make a big difference. Driving up north keeping it steady I can knock down around 17-18 mpg US, as soon as I hit the fire roads and forest trails 7-9 mpg if I am lucky. Sand dunes, 3, lol.

Reactions: Delta0

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bull****, in Germany we have E10 since years … no change in mileage , not on the ATS, on the YJ on the bikes …

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yes, Imperial for him. My point was a lift and bigger tires are going to negatively affect mileage which bone stock isn't very good. Like you said as well, foot weight and where it is driven make a big difference. Driving up north keeping it steady I can knock down around 17-18 mpg US, as soon as I hit the fire roads and forest trails 7-9 mpg if I am lucky. Sand dunes, 3, lol.
Thanks cD.

You point out that bigger tyres negatively effect mpg.

Have you got off-road tyres please?

If so, do you have any idea
how it would effect your mpg
if you fitted the same size
fuel efficient road tyres please?

·
Registered
WJ 4.7 HO my 2002
754 Posts
Bull****, in Germany we have E10 since years … no change in mileage , not on the ATS, on the YJ on the bikes …
I had been in France for an holiday and had to fuel the WJ with E10 gasoline: …never again!!
Horrible mileage, the V8 seemed half died, transmission continued to shift down on highway every time there was a little little hill or in every overtaking of other vehicles…

After that episode, in that holiday I have used only 100 octane gasoline, issues completely killed 😂😂

E10 affect mileage and performance without doubt.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MAP reading caught my eye, might want to pput a gauge to check.

13 mpg - using British gallons or standard ?
Will look up a protocol for testing it.

MPG was a conversion, Im getting 18l per 100ks.

It did the same before the lift and AT tyres.

In my country we dont use ethanol in the grade I use.

·
Registered
1986 Jeep Cherokee
149 Posts
I believe your numbers are quite inflated..... but yes, MPG is reduced when ethanol is mixed in.

"Ethanol contains about one-third less energy than gasoline. So, vehicles will typically go 3% to 4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 and 4% to 5% fewer on E15 than on 100% gasoline. "
From a report by the EPA, Oak Ridge National Lab:

J
I realize that those are the predicted numbers due to adding an oxygen atom to ethane. However, in spite of the hype on this gasoline does not burn as efficiently with ethanol. Case in point, many vehicles with marginal catalytic converters will show too many particulates on ethanol. However put premium gas in with no ethanol and the same engine will pass. You can burn the ethanol gas in most engines, however that last 5% should only be used in engines that were designed to use it. Oficial recommendations from many state government sources

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Based on Hu there is a difference of about 3%. Meaning 3% more fuel for the same energy/miles. You can really feel/measure the difference between 20mpg and 20.x mpg? Respect!
Fuel injected cars can handle e10 without problems.
You seem to be arguing
against yourself there A,

First, "Bull****,there's no change in mileage."
Last time, the change is 3%.

If we are using 3% more fuel
we are using 3% more fuel.

Around a fiver more to fill my tank.
Respect or otherwise,
Every time I pay for a fill,
I'm gonna know I paying more.
than I would on E5.

True we may not be able to measure it
in other ways.
On the other hand, since we know it,
we know it, and we don't like it.

There is a further complication,
the alcohol could be methanol
my handbook says no methanol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
True we may not be able to measure it.
On the other hand, since we know it,
we know it, and we don't like it.

There is a further complication,
the alcohol could be methanol
my handbook says no methanol.
3% is based on the heating value. Due to higher octane this is a theoretical problem.

methanol? Why? „E“ stands for Ethanol

1 - 20 of 61 Posts