Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I are looking to buy an XJ for use as a “daily driver”. We have no plans to lift it or anything. We basically want a factory XJ that is super reliable. That said, I am sure there are differences in the years that it was produced.

My question is, is there a certain year or range of years that is considered “the golden year” or whatever. I know with most vehicles there is generally a range of years that are considered the most desirable or the best. Any information regarding this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would say from 92 to 97. You just have to be extra careful not to overheat 98+ because of the heads cracking.
I have owned a 94 two door, a 99 four door and my current one is a 97 four door. If you take care of them, they really will last a long time. I only have 135k miles but hoping to make it to a few hundred thousand.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3oldjeeps

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say from 92 to 97. You just have to be extra careful not to overheat 98+ because of the heads cracking.
I have owned a 94 two door, a 99 four door and my current one is a 97 four door. If you take care of them, they really will last a long time. I only have 135k miles but hoping to make it to a few hundred thousand.

From what I’ve read it is the years 2000-2001 that are more prone to the head cracking. Is it also the 98-99?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The 00-01 have the 0331 head which is known for cracking but 98 and more 99 had some head gasket issues. The 99 i had, had about 160k miles on it and didn't have any issues.

·
Real Jeeps have dents
29,302 Posts
1997-2001, because it has the newer styling and has OBD-II diagnostics.

2000-01 0331 head cracking has more forum threads about cracks, than actual cracked heads.

I have a 2000 with 170,000 miles, and a 98 with 284,000 miles, no head or head gasket issues.

·
Registered
967 Posts
NONE! The reason I have two XJ's is that both my daughters gave up on using them as daily drivers. Too many problems and codes being set all the time. One suffered the 0331 head crack but that was after a neglected overheat condition. One daughter has a 2012 KK for a daily driver and that one is problematic too. I like my Jeeps for the winter snow and towing a boat. But I use GM compacts for daily driving.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Ha ha ha. Pinoy59- I am a guy that used to drive a 1968 Firebird with a 400 engine and 4 speed manual transmission as a daily driver. So I am known for weird and unorthodox rides. But I do require them to start up every day and get me home again. I wish I had a cold beer for every dead Jeep I had to drag home with my old man station wagon.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I like 91 to 95. The 4.0HO in the OBDI configuration. It works and does not have the extra BS codes for cat monitoring for example. It was very efficient and worked well.

However. I would take any year based on overall vehicle condition and the biggest condition being rust and knowing where to look for it. I would rather have a vehicle that has solid floors, rockers, etc..... No rust. ..... A cylinder head for instance can be replaced. A rotted out vehicle or one that is soon to be is another story. Rusty vehicles are a waste of time.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I like my 1995 more than my 2000, quality seems a little better to me on the older one. I also prefer things top be lower tech and built more simple. Given how old all these vehicles are now they all will have similar problems. The biggest challenge is finding ones that are not rusted to bad. There's always the option of learning to weld and work sheet metal, than they all can be fixed.

·
It's the crank sensor!
9,006 Posts
1999, but hey....I'm a little biased! Actually 98 and 99 are my favorites, 97 coming in third on my list. I do like having OBDII for diagnostics.

I put 200K on my 99, it was very reliable. Never left me stranded or needing a tow. Sure, I had to put in a couple of sensors (yup the crank sensor was one!), a radiator and water pump. I did have to rebuild the front differential. And of course, basic maintenance items like plugs, wires, distributor caps, brakes, batteries, a fuel pump, thermostats, hoses and an exhaust replacement at around 190K. NOTE: I was religious about changing fluids (anything wet). Fluids are the lifeblood of your vehicle. With maintenance, you can either pay me now or pay me more later.....

Good luck in your search!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts