Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I are looking to buy an XJ for use as a “daily driver”. We have no plans to lift it or anything. We basically want a factory XJ that is super reliable. That said, I am sure there are differences in the years that it was produced.

My question is, is there a certain year or range of years that is considered “the golden year” or whatever. I know with most vehicles there is generally a range of years that are considered the most desirable or the best. Any information regarding this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say from 92 to 97. You just have to be extra careful not to overheat 98+ because of the heads cracking.
I have owned a 94 two door, a 99 four door and my current one is a 97 four door. If you take care of them, they really will last a long time. I only have 135k miles but hoping to make it to a few hundred thousand.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
From what I’ve read it is the years 2000-2001 that are more prone to the head cracking. Is it also the 98-99?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NOTE: I was religious about changing fluids (anything wet). Fluids are the lifeblood of your vehicle. With maintenance, you can either pay me now or pay me more later.....

Good luck in your search!
I once thought the same thing but now I’m not so sure. The reason I’m even looking at different vehicles is because our Toyota Tundra 1794 engine just blew up with 148,500 miles on it. Like you, I have always changed all fluids and stayed on top of maintenance. I spent around $2,000 at 100,000 miles on preventive maintenance actually. Now I’m stuck spending $7,000 on a engine swap. (That’s for a used engine BTW, a new one cost $29,000)

So my plan is to fix it, sell it, and use the funds to buy a couple older vehicles with cheaper parts that are less complex so I can work on them myself when the need arises. I’m sure I will continue to do regularly scheduled maintenance but I doubt I’ll put the faith in it that I once did. I looked at it as a guarantee that I would get 300k out of an engine and that’s clearly not the case.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is what I ended up with. 191,000 miles with no rust. $11,500. So far I have purchased around $1,000 worth of parts included a new double din radio kit with 7” touchscreen to replace the stock radio that doesn’t work, full fluid swap for everything, passenger door switch, new window regulator passenger side, new turn signal switch, new door checks to fix the popping sound, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor and rotor, and air filter.

I plan to get it up on the lift Monday and start the fluid swap and undercarriage clean and undercoat to prevent rust and hopefully keep it in good shape for years to come.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.