Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
NONE! The reason I have two XJ's is that both my daughters gave up on using them as daily drivers. Too many problems and codes being set all the time. One suffered the 0331 head crack but that was after a neglected overheat condition. One daughter has a 2012 KK for a daily driver and that one is problematic too. I like my Jeeps for the winter snow and towing a boat. But I use GM compacts for daily driving.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Ha ha ha. Pinoy59- I am a guy that used to drive a 1968 Firebird with a 400 engine and 4 speed manual transmission as a daily driver. So I am known for weird and unorthodox rides. But I do require them to start up every day and get me home again. I wish I had a cold beer for every dead Jeep I had to drag home with my old man station wagon.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Here is my experience with the 4.0 motor. My Daughter had an '01 since new. At around 100k it was overheating and by the time anyone did anything the 0331 head was cracked. Since she was very attached to the XJ I said we could rebuild it. So I had a local machine shop re-build the short block and source a new head. I drafted my Grandson to help remove/ re-assemble/replace the engine. After all was said and done it cost $4000. Probably the most difficult engine replacement I have ever suffered through. So now we have a fresh 4.0 in a 21year old Jeep. Not long after this the windshield leaked and flooded the floors. The CATs started setting codes. The ignition cylinder jammed up. An exhaust leak developed. Power steering lines leaked. The power door locks are hit-or-miss. The headliner fell down. The EVAP system set codes. My point is- any XJ is going to be old and experiencing old car troubles. Ok for a part time use vehicle but not what I would rely on for everyday transportation. Unless you manage to find a creampuff with no miles and no rust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts