Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 84 CJ7 last March (2020) I went off road after a couple of months after I bought it and I noticed a slight lean to the passenger front shackle. The CJ has a 2"-2.5" estimated lift that I believe is a skyjacker lift. From the look of the front shackle I don't believe its a stock shackle but I really don't know.

I need help with what parts I need to replace the bushing and hopefully correct this lean. It drives fine but over 55 it does begin to shake and I feel this is the cause or at least the first thing to try and fix to address it. (it didn't shake like this when I bought it and drove it home 200 miles; only once I did the trail and this lean began to form. the lean has not worsened over the past 16 months).

I bought some OEM bushings (image below) but they don't look like the correct size and I assume I need a metal shaft/collar/sleeve (whatever it's called) that runs the length between the two bushings? Anyway, assistance is appreciated on how to dig in and find the correct bushings I need to replace and also the collar needed to go with the bushings. Do I just do this shackle or all the bushings on that leaf spring? The YouTube videos on how to do it look straight forward... just unsure of the parts to use.

Thanks,
-Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Check out Daystar shackles and suspension parts, they have a couple of different type of bushings. I also posted a few questions about shackles and bushings about 2 weeks ago, I got some good explanations about the different type of bushings that might help you as well. As of right now, they should be around pages 2 and 3, maybe do a search for my posts as well.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
5,658 Posts
Sorry, but the hard truth is, if you try to chase down a leaning shackle with a lift and taller aftermarket shackles, you will chase your tail until you fall over dizzy... you can go with a poly bushing, they are stiffer and will help with the lean, but will ride a bit rougher. The pictures you have, the bushings look good, they are not blown out or ripped up, I would leave them alone. Likely you have thrown a tire out of balance from the wheeling trip by knocking a weight off or you have bumped you alignment off. I would have the tires re-balanced and the alignment checked before replacing all of the spring and shackle bushings and then ending up right back where you are now after a short drive or trail ride.

·
Registered
9,638 Posts
Likely you have thrown a tire out of balance from the wheeling trip by knocking a weight off or you have bumped you alignment off. I would have the tires re-balanced and the alignment checked before replacing all of the spring and shackle bushings and then ending up right back where you are now after a short drive or trail ride.
This.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I will get an alignment and balance to see if that will shift it over where it should be. Has everyone had luck at most any shop that does alignments or do you find you need to go to specialized off-road shops do align a old CJ7 with 33/12.5/15 tires and a 2.5" lift?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Curious how alignment can cause the Jeep to lean - unless maybe by moving the axle a bit but that would take a pretty hard hit to do.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
5,658 Posts
Curious how alignment can cause the Jeep to lean - unless maybe by moving the axle a bit but that would take a pretty hard hit to do.
Alignment was suggested for the shake over 55, not for the leaning.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Note which way the shackle is leaning, Jack up the Jeep by the frame. Loosen the u-bolts around the axle on the side as the leaning shackle. Use a clamp (I use a high lift) to move the end of the spring. While the clamp is tight, tighten the U-bolts. Take clamp off and lower. Lean should be gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts