Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Fyi dirtworx just sent an email with a 10% off code. "score"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
You beat me to it. I got the email too.

When I was first looking for a swing-away spare tire carrier (and knowing I wanted to be able to mount a Jerry can there too for my overlanding adventures) I too looked all over at options (including the Quadratec catalog). I saw the Smitty built ones, and other similar looking ones with the centered spare tire. And I was mentally trying to figure out how to modify it so I could move the tire over to make room for the Jerry can. Some options looked like possibilities, but were very expensive (even the body tub mounted ones).

But then I somehow found Dirtworx (probably during my google searches). I spoke with the owner and we came up with the one I have now with the spare offset and the Jerry can holder. And it was even cheaper than some of the other Chinese ones that didn't have the Jerry can mount option. Easy decision.

And it kinda reminds me of the old flatfenders with the spare offset to the passenger side, and a Jerry can on the driver's side. And an FYI; the Jerry can is usually empty unless I'm on one of my adventures.

Been happy with it ever since.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
You beat me to it. I got the email too.

When I was first looking for a swing-away spare tire carrier (and knowing I wanted to be able to mount a Jerry can there too for my overlanding adventures) I too looked all over at options (including the Quadratec catalog). I saw the Smitty built ones, and other similar looking ones with the centered spare tire. And I was mentally trying to figure out how to modify it so I could move the tire over to make room for the Jerry can. Some options looked like possibilities, but were very expensive (even the body tub mounted ones).

But then I somehow found Dirtworx (probably during my google searches). I spoke with the owner and we came up with the one I have now with the spare offset and the Jerry can holder. And it was even cheaper than some of the other Chinese ones that didn't have the Jerry can mount option. Easy decision.

And it kinda reminds me of the old flatfenders with the spare offset to the passenger side, and a Jerry can on the driver's side. And an FYI; the Jerry can is usually empty unless I'm on one of my adventures.

Been happy with it ever since.
Those are two awesome looking rigs!!!

Sorry for the interruption…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Those are two awesome looking rigs!!!

Sorry for the interruption…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Just trying to show off the Dirtworx spare tire carrier with the Jerry can holder, and how it compares to how the old WWII jeeps were set-up. I like the nod to the old WWII jeeps and the spare tire/Jerry can mountings.

Ok; and maybe showing off just a little bit.... that's an old modified tub mounted swing-away spare tire carrier on the flatty made years ago by a company called "Valley" [Valley Industries?] made for the early Jeeps. You could buy it from JCWhitney back in the early 80s before all the specialty catalogs for Jeeps came out (they had a section in the catalog dedicated to Jeeps). I bought it new for the Willys in 1989.

Don't quote me, but it seems like the old Toyota Landcruisers would mount their spare tire on the driver's side, and a Jerry can on the passenger side.

There are lots of options out there for TJ swing away spare tire carriers (good to bad, and price-wise cheap to expensive). But not a lot of options for carrying Jerry cans (or Rotopax containers). The OP was wanting the ability to carry extra gas along with his spare. I was in the same boat.

And now the OP said he's going with a Smittybilt. I'd like to see if he modifies it to carry extra fuel, and how it holds up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Get yourself a Lincoln tombstone used, some 2” square stock, a trailer wheel bearing shaft and hub, a latch and some 7018 1/8 rod and go to work. You’ll spend less and have a welding machine leftover when you are done. And you can add what ever you want.

That’s what I did (already had the tombstone) and saved a ton bought a Millermatic mig with the money I saved. Still holding up 18 years later. Both the mig and the carrier.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
I'm extremely pleased with my Dirtworx swing-away spare tire carrier bumper with the Jerry can holder (in case you hadn't figured it out). I'm biased. It has been bounced over literally thousands of miles from the east coast to the west coast; many of those on overlanding trips off-road with a full-sized spare and full 5-gallon Jerry can. Never had an issue with bumper or the latch. None. Zero. Zip. IMHO I still think it is one of the best bumpers with a spare tire carrier (and especially for carrying a Jerry can too) for the price. Here's a picture with the original latch.

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

But the other day the latch came undone while driving in town of all things. Don't know if it was the latch (it locked back into place afterwards like nothing happened) or if maybe I had not latched it completely after the last time I had it open (which I would hate to have to admit to, but tis possible). Or if the tire kicked something up just right to loosen the latch. Either way, I got to wondering if there was possibly a better latch out there.

This is what I found initially - a Destaco 2027-UR: I ordered it and installed it.

Destaco Horizontal Hold Down Clamp, 2.25” Height - 2027-UR - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Off with the old, on with the new (pictures below of new horizontal latch mounted). Easy swap out - base measurements are the same as before. It does stick out past the edge of the bumper about three inches - we'll see if that causes a problem (the only thing I don't like about this new toggle latch). It (longer length) is something I didn't look into or take into consideration when ordering this horizontal safety latch. When overlanding with the trailer, I've got mudflaps on the Jeep that'll keep rocks and such from hitting it. But it has what I wanted - a second safety latch-lever that locks it in place - it won't unlatch unless this second (smaller) lever is pressed down.

If I think it sticks out too far, I might try this vertical latch with a safety latch (will require a little Dremel tool work to mount as the mounting base is slightly larger). Part is already on order.

2007-UR : 2007 - Vertical Hold-Down Toggle Locking Clamp | DESTACO

What do you guys think?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper

So, if you're running a Dirtworx rear bumper with the spare tire carrier and are looking for a different latch (upgrade?) that bolts on without any modifications to the existing bumper or mount, this is one option I found (once I get the vertical latch in, we'll see how that one works). Neither are cheap (this horizontal one is about $53.00 before shipping), but it might be what you're looking for. I feel better knowing something is on there with a safety latch.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
For a follow-up.

This is the latch pictured in the post above - the Destaco horizontal hold down clamp:

It bolted right in place as the one that came with the bumper. I like it - it works well and I trust it.

Afterwards I ordered this other one (Destaco vertical hold down clamp) to see if I would like it better:

Nope. I don't care for it. It won't bolt in place without a good bit of dremel work on the mounting holes, but more importantly, the safety lever doesn't seem as positive as the 2027 model. If I thought it would be better I would make it fit (truthfully wouldn't be that difficult). Seems like it could be easily bumped and unlocked. Not that it isn't a quality piece of equipment; it just doesn't seem like the right tool for the intent in this application.

I'll stick with the Destaco 2027-UR horizontal hold down clamp model. That's my recommendation anyways if you've got a Dirtworx rear bumper with the swing-away spare tire carrier and think you might want to upgrade the latch. It isn't going to come unlatched unless you intentionally unlatch it.

If anyone out there tries this Destaco 2027-UR like I did, take a picture of it mounted and let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve watched some videos about installing the SRC without dropping the furl tank.

I like the SRC because it’s hitch receiver is rated for towing, which many competitors are not.

Thanks to everyone who provided helpful input to my decision.

I have a 97 Tj, and the time has come to mount a swing out carrier before the 33” spare w/steel wheel damages the tailgate…. Plus I want to mount some jerrycans back there. Definitely too heavy for the stock tailgate.

Was looking at the Smitybilt XRC but everything I’ve read says you have to drop the fuel tank on a TJ to drill some holes. Nope, that’s a no-go.

So.

Suggestions for alternatives? Price isn’t a critical factor but paying less is better than paying more everything else being equal.

…or, it it possible to mount the XRC w/o dropping the tank?
i like the smitty xrc but the more i thought abought it and watched a few videos on you boob i just built my own and fabricated and welded it up since i was almost done my full cab off resto i was rubbing 2 nickels to make a dime so if i could save money by building one i could use the savings towards more importantly needed things like new rubber! if you have welding skills and a welder give it a shot!.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm extremely pleased with my Dirtworx swing-away spare tire carrier bumper with the Jerry can holder (in case you hadn't figured it out). I'm biased. It has been bounced over literally thousands of miles from the east coast to the west coast; many of those on overlanding trips off-road with a full-sized spare and full 5-gallon Jerry can. Never had an issue with bumper or the latch. None. Zero. Zip. IMHO I still think it is one of the best bumpers with a spare tire carrier (and especially for carrying a Jerry can too) for the price. Here's a picture with the original latch.

View attachment 4128765

But the other day the latch came undone while driving in town of all things. Don't know if it was the latch (it locked back into place afterwards like nothing happened) or if maybe I had not latched it completely after the last time I had it open (which I would hate to have to admit to, but tis possible). Or if the tire kicked something up just right to loosen the latch. Either way, I got to wondering if there was possibly a better latch out there.

This is what I found initially - a Destaco 2027-UR: I ordered it and installed it.

Off with the old, on with the new (pictures below of new horizontal latch mounted). Easy swap out - base measurements are the same as before. It does stick out past the edge of the bumper about three inches - we'll see if that causes a problem (the only thing I don't like about this new toggle latch). It (longer length) is something I didn't look into or take into consideration when ordering this horizontal safety latch. When overlanding with the trailer, I've got mudflaps on the Jeep that'll keep rocks and such from hitting it. But it has what I wanted - a second safety latch-lever that locks it in place - it won't unlatch unless this second (smaller) lever is pressed down.

If I think it sticks out too far, I might try this vertical latch with a safety latch (will require a little Dremel tool work to mount as the mounting base is slightly larger). Part is already on order.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 4128766 View attachment 4128767 View attachment 4128768

So, if you're running a Dirtworx rear bumper with the spare tire carrier and are looking for a different latch (upgrade?) that bolts on without any modifications to the existing bumper or mount, this is one option I found (once I get the vertical latch in, we'll see how that one works). Neither are cheap (this horizontal one is about $53.00 before shipping), but it might be what you're looking for. I feel better knowing something is on there with a safety latch.
For a follow-up.

This is the latch pictured in the post above - the Destaco horizontal hold down clamp:

It bolted right in place as the one that came with the bumper. I like it - it works well and I trust it.

Afterwards I ordered this other one (Destaco vertical hold down clamp) to see if I would like it better:

Nope. I don't care for it. It won't bolt in place without a good bit of dremel work on the mounting holes, but more importantly, the safety lever doesn't seem as positive as the 2027 model. If I thought it would be better I would make it fit (truthfully wouldn't be that difficult). Seems like it could be easily bumped and unlocked. Not that it isn't a quality piece of equipment; it just doesn't seem like the right tool for the intent in this application.

I'll stick with the Destaco 2027-UR horizontal hold down clamp model. That's my recommendation anyways if you've got a Dirtworx rear bumper with the swing-away spare tire carrier and think you might want to upgrade the latch. It isn't going to come unlatched unless you intentionally unlatch it.

If anyone out there tries this Destaco 2027-UR like I did, take a picture of it mounted and let us know how you like it.
When i custom built my carrier i watched alot videos and stumbled across a video that directed me to the exact latch i wanted but the article under the latch described the right and only best way to secure a swing out carrier is by clamping force downwards against the bumper and i totaly agree as its worked flawless for my design using a axle hub from EMS off road! you can find all your build parts and pricing and im sure this will give you a good idea what you want, also welding makes for a more secure system rather than bolts but not every one has a welder!.

·
Registered
16 Posts
does it have to be a swing out tire carrier mounted to the bumper?

have you seen the exogate? it strengthens the hinges and tailgate and retains the factory tailgate function.
Except you can't use the wiring for the third brake like when the Exogate is installed. I have come up with a wiring fix for that. I still love my Exogate nonetheless

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Except you can't use the wiring for the third brake like when the Exogate is installed. I have come up with a wiring fix for that. I still love my Exogate nonetheless

true that i just made the loom a little longer and used that plastic type wire covering and made it look pretty with a few black zip ties! i started welding a small rack/basket set up that goes over the spare tire and attaches to the tail gate this is why i opted out of rehinging my tailgate in order to incorporate this set up thus utilizing more space in cargo area!

·
Registered
16 Posts
its been years since I did my install, but I am not following. what does spacing the OEM tire carrier ~1" farther out make it so the wiring no longer works?
It's been a few years for me as well. IIRC the way the Exogate swung out was different than the OEM setup which caused some interference with the contacts that gap the door.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts