Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Dirtworx rear swing away bumper with the Jerry Can carrier option. 33" tire shown (285/75/16).

(The OP did say he wanted the ability to carry additional gasoline).

Price? $529. https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/tire-carrier-with-single-can-mount

For any rear bumper swap you're going to have to drop the tank. It isn't that big of a deal (I've had to do it a couple times to swap out the fuel pump, add a HD gas tank skid, and a previous aftermarket rear bumper without a swing-away spare tire carrier).

If you're going to use the bumper's 2" receiver as a recovery or tow point (I do both), I'd also recommend getting a pair of frame/bumper tie-ins. I used Rokmen tie-ins.

https://www.rokmen.com/rokmen-extreme-duty-frame-tie-ins.html

Attachments

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I've had this Rockhard swing for 10+ years and it still works great! Always smacking the crap out of it with zero issues. I love the latch system... quick and easy and still holds strong after all this time.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-2001-c.htm

Not sure how the price is up against the dirtworx, but it is a good product.
That looks like a nice bumper/carrier, but holy crap, $1200? What am I missing over other American made bumpers?

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Price for the Dirtworx bumper (with the Jerry can holder option)? $529.

https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/tire-carrier-with-single-can-mount

Yes, you have to paint it (Rustoleum gloss black spray paint anyone?).

No, it does not come with the Jerry can holder cage or the Jerry can itself (figure ~$55 - $60 for the holder).

Jerry can holder: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smittybilt-jerry-gas-can-holder-black-2798/_/R-DSBP-2798

One nice thing about a swing-away spare tire carrier (any brand), is you can then do the drop-down tailgate modification so you've got a table (or a seat) to use when camping/overlanding. It comes in handy.

https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Jeep-Wrangler-Aluminum-Drop-Down-Tailgate-Conversion-Kit_p_25.html

https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Je...m-Drop-Down-Tailgate-Conversion-Kit_p_31.html (I used this one)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
That looks like a nice bumper/carrier, but holy crap, $1200? What am I missing over other American made bumpers?
They are definitely spendy. But the quality is there. As I mentioned, the latch is quite good and built in, so to speak. Not a cam lock, an actual latch that you just pull up on to open. And after many years of use and abuse, there is no play in the swing. I guess ya get what ya pay for... but I lucked out as it was already on the Jeep curtesy of the OP. :grin2:

Reactions: bruinjeeper

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,290 Posts
Good for you.

Mine already sags about a quarter inch and has to bump up when closing to engage the latch.

How about you go start your own thread? You could title it "I'm a smug dinkhead who has nothing useful to contribute but goes around crapping in other people's threads anyway"
Dirtworx rear swing away bumper with the Jerry Can carrier option. 33" tire shown (285/75/16).

(The OP did say he wanted the ability to carry additional gasoline).

Price? $529. https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/tire-carrier-with-single-can-mount

For any rear bumper swap you're going to have to drop the tank. It isn't that big of a deal (I've had to do it a couple times to swap out the fuel pump, add a HD gas tank skid, and a previous aftermarket rear bumper without a swing-away spare tire carrier).

If you're going to use the bumper's 2" receiver as a recovery or tow point (I do both), I'd also recommend getting a pair of frame/bumper tie-ins. I used Rokmen tie-ins.

https://www.rokmen.com/rokmen-extreme-duty-frame-tie-ins.html
Forgive my OCD with a splash of ignorance...

But shouldn't that spare be marked C.R (center rear) as opposed to R.R (right rear)?

I mean, it is just confusing is all. :teehee:

Rockhard4x4 and fishbone offroad also offer rear cross member/bumper to frame tie ins at a decent price point.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not true. I have installed multiple rear bumpers on Wrangler TJs and I have never once dropped the tank for that job.
This. I've seen several YT vids now showing how to mount the Smittybilt SRC without dropping the tank. I probably should have looked there before posting here.

That's why I decided to go with Smittybilt after all, that and the tow rated receiver.

These are both Smittybilts.
The second pic looks like a wreck of some kind. Hit anything hard enough it will break.

One nice thing about a swing-away spare tire carrier (any brand), is you can then do the drop-down tailgate option so you've got a table (or a seat) to use when camping/overlanding.
That project is on the list.

·
Retired
72,528 Posts
The second pic looks like a wreck of some kind. Hit anything hard enough it will break.
Look again, that was a minor event that only bent some sheet metal. Look how thin that tubing is, it's strictly decorative. I worked for the parent company who owns Smittybilt and have seen enough of their junk to know I'd never buy anything from Smittybilt. The swing-out spare tire carrier is a stupid-cheap design, just a hollow tube placed over vertical tube without even any bearings. At least that is how it was on the Smittybilt bumper/carrier I examined in a 4WheelParts store several years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Not true. I have installed multiple rear bumpers on Wrangler TJs and I have never once dropped the tank for that job.
Where were you (or that YT video) when I needed you? I don't know if having a Rokmen gas tank skid made it more difficult, but I couldn't get my fingers up under there or get the bolts and/or backing plates in where I could get a wrench on them.

In all sincerity, if you can do it without having to drop the tank you're better than me. It would make installing a new bumper less complicated.

I will say though... once the tank is dropped, it is very easy to mount up the new bumper as the tank/skid plate interference is now gone. With the tank dropped, now would be the time to replace your fuel pump, trim the plastic vent tube inside your gas tank, or upgrade your gas tank skid plate. Or have someone relocate your rear upper spring mounts (involves cutting and welding from everything I've read) while the tank is down.

Oh, and an FYI... when I post a link or suggest/mention a specific product, it is usually to show the item as an example so you can see a picture and a price range (unless like in this thread where I'm linking a specific bumper set-up). It'll get you started if you're interested to search for that specific item or a similar item, but it'll at least get you started. I'm not on anyone's payroll here.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Part of the difficulty of mounting a bumper with the tank installed is that some manufacturers use through bolts and nuts into rectangular tubes while some use threaded holes. It is much easier to deal with through holes than the threaded ones.

Also, they don't all use the same holes that are available in the cross member. My last "bumper" used the center hole in the crossmember. But it wasn't really a bumper, it was a plate with D ring mounts and a mount for a tire carrier. But there is also variation in the ones that are more easily accessible.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Perhaps, but many bumpers are made to take the abuse. I've smacked my bumper 'mucho hardo' and all it does is get scratched. But unless you build one out of super heavy DOM, IMHO tube bumpers are not the greatest for abuse or protection. my $.o2

Also, just for the hey of it... a TJ rear ended me in my PU last year. Not sure what bumper he had in the front, but my PU bumper folded like a piece of tin foil... his did'nt even have a scratch! :D

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Part of the difficulty of mounting a bumper with the tank installed is that some manufacturers use through bolts and nuts into rectangular tubes while some use threaded holes. It is much easier to deal with through holes than the threaded ones.

Also, they don't all use the same holes that are available in the cross member. My last "bumper" used the center hole in the crossmember. But it wasn't really a bumper, it was a plate with D ring mounts and a mount for a tire carrier. But there is also variation in the ones that are more easily accessible.
My first aftermarket rear bumper (with no tire carrier) was a Pro-Comp/"Genuine Steel" bumper. Basically formed thick steel channel. This was in 2008. It looked just like the Smittybilt one. It had the 2" receiver, but no tabs for trailer safety chains. So I had those tabs welded on (pictured) since I was going to use it to pull my lil' trailer. So technically this bumper wasn't designed for towing.

It also had the "threaded holes" in some maybe 1/4" steel welded to the back of the bumper. The holes didn't exactly line up with the holes in the Jeep's rear crossmember (so I had to enlarge a couple holes). And best I could I used longer bolts so I could put a nut on the back so I wasn't just using the threaded holes that came with the bumper to keep it secured. And I used the already mentioned frame tie-ins for reinforcements.

It was a major PIA to get mounted (I'm trying to remember if I eventually dropped the tank on that install, or just eventually got it done with a lot of swearing and cussing). I know I didn't like drilling the crossmember with the gas tank so close to it.

Once done though, I never had any issues with it. It never took a hit. It towed my trailer just fine. When I got my Dirtworx bumper, I gave the old bumper a quick coat of black spray paint and sold it ($40?) to someone who was very happy to get it.

But this Dirtworx bumper is so much more heavy duty. Definitely more appropriate for a swing away spare tire carrier mount.

Attachments

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,815 Posts
these are my favorite threads.

I was thinking about "x" product, opinions?
not a great company that uses sub par materials and fabrication. heres a few other options and why they are superior.
x2
x3
x4
x5
thanks for the advice, i decided to go with the product that I was going to buy in the first place.
Talk me out of buying a Smittybilt Chinese bumper. The USA made bumpers cost $100 more, so I'm going with Smittybilt anyway. Thanks.:D

p.s. Why is the powder coating peeling off in under a month?

·
Retired
72,528 Posts
And for those thinking only bumpers that have a tow rating are good, that's not true. Most bumper manufacturers stopped including any statements saying their bumpers are "tow rated" for liability reasons, not that they aren't strong enough to tow. My first tow-rated bumper is no longer tow rated for that reason, the bumper still has the same design.

And I have been towing with my Dirtworx bumpers for probably 15 years now, yet they are no longer "officially" tow rated. Dirtworks just isn't willing to pay the big $$$ for lab tests, engineering studies, and law firm fees so they can make that claim. And it's certainly a better/stronger bumper than that piece-of-**** Smittybilt is.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts