Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve watched some videos about installing the SRC without dropping the furl tank.

I like the SRC because it’s hitch receiver is rated for towing, which many competitors are not.

Thanks to everyone who provided helpful input to my decision.

I have a 97 Tj, and the time has come to mount a swing out carrier before the 33” spare w/steel wheel damages the tailgate…. Plus I want to mount some jerrycans back there. Definitely too heavy for the stock tailgate.

Was looking at the Smitybilt XRC but everything I’ve read says you have to drop the fuel tank on a TJ to drill some holes. Nope, that’s a no-go.

So.

Suggestions for alternatives? Price isn’t a critical factor but paying less is better than paying more everything else being equal.

…or, it it possible to mount the XRC w/o dropping the tank?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Check out dirtworx.
Made in the USA and fairly priced, you can get them with can mounts etc

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
X2 on Exogate!

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,558 Posts
I have a 97 Tj, and the time has come to mount a swing out carrier before the 33" spare w/steel wheel damages the tailgate…. Definitely too heavy for the stock tailgate.
I wish you would have told me that before I mounted my 35" spare and steel wheel.........4 years ago. Still opens and closes like new.:shhh:

Attachments

Reactions: bruinjeeper

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish you would have told me that before I mounted my 35" spare and steel wheel.........4 years ago. Still opens and closes like new.:shhh:
Good for you.

Mine already sags about a quarter inch and has to bump up when closing to engage the latch.

Unfortunately this thread is about solving my problem, not about you not having a problem…. and I don't see any gerrycans.

Thank you for your contribution.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good for you.

Mine already sags about a quarter inch and has to bump up when closing to engage the latch.

How about you go start your own thread? You could title it "I'm a smug dinkhead who has nothing useful to contribute but goes around crapping in other people's threads anyway"

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
10,952 Posts
Good for you.

How about you go start your own thread? You could title it "I'm a smug dinkhead who has nothing useful to contribute but goes around crapping in other people's threads anyway"
Whoa. :|

You can tell he really meant it too because he responded twice - adding in escalation as exclamation on the 2nd reply.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Wow
Amazing, he diagnosed his own issue and is only accepting responses that fit his thoughts

What you need to do to fix your issue is......
Forget it, just flame away and move on to the next guy.......

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,558 Posts
Good for you.

I showed you the simplest way to fix the problem. Take the weight OFF the tailgate. :wave:

p.s. Are you suffering from PTS or PMS?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I just got a Jeep mag in the mail. What about those make your own bumper set ups?

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,558 Posts
I just got a Jeep mag in the mail. What about those make your own bumper set ups?
They work well if you have welding skills. Usually it's cheaper to buy a bumper. My USA made LOD bumpers were under $200 each.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump for decision in OP

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
if tow rating is your main concern, i'd rather have american steel/welds than chinese steel and welds.

most don't put a tow rating on them as that accepts liability that smaller operations dont want to accept, but that doesnt mean a well built bumper made from quality material will pull any less than chinese mass produced stuff will

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,558 Posts
Reactions: Shark_13

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow 14-20 week lead times.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Another vote for Dirtworx. Got mine 3 or 4 years ago and couldn’t be more pleased. It has been rattle free and very sturdy. No play in the hinge bearing unlike my previous tire carrier. Also got the trail basket which has been very useful.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
I've had this Rockhard swing for 10+ years and it still works great! Always smacking the crap out of it with zero issues. I love the latch system... quick and easy and still holds strong after all this time.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-2001-c.htm

Not sure how the price is up against the dirtworx, but it is a good product.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts