Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
First post!

We rented a modified Rubicon in Moab last week and have fallen in love with offroading, and when I say we I mean the whole family . . . I think a Jeep purchase is in our future. We live in TriCities, but are in the process of buying a getaway on the Chinook Pass Highway and would be pretty close to the Rimrock Lake and Manastash ridge areas. I would love some feedback on what a bone stock 2018+ JL Rubicon can do and if there would be any reason to consider picking up something older and modifying it. Not sure how active this local subgroup is, but hope for some info or a pointer to a better forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a new Rubicon in 2013 (my second rubi) and promptly sunk another $10k into it. A bone-stock Rubicon is a capable off-roader as delivered - period. That said, a modified Jeep “can be” significantly more capable. All of your angles (approach, roll-over and departure) improve with larger tires and a modest lift. The 4-door begs for 35s but is also more stable on pavement than a 2-door with same tires and lift. There is no question that you can build a superior off-roader. But many of those modifications take a toll on highway drive quality. This can be taken to a point where your modified vehicle becomes extremely dangerous at freeway speeds. The answer to your question really depends on how you intend to use it. Will it be trailered or do you plan on driving it and your family to the trailhead. It’s really a question of compromise.

A modest lift (2-3 inches w/fenders trimmed) and 35s will help keep cog (center of gravity) low which benefits handling at all speeds and conditions. This can be done for under $2k if you’re handy, which you should be if you choose to go down that path.

I’ve owned six Jeeps, three new. My next will be a custom build, it will likely have to be trailered.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also, in the area you’re looking at, you’ll contend with STEEPS, downed trees, deep ruts, dry river beds and all manner of rock (see moon/funny rocks). You’ll probably want 35s out there to get your pumpkins over stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks guys....

There are certainly more 4x4 trails out there, not to mention other motorized trails for motorbike and ATV. I haven't been on all of them so I only put up the areas I've been and felt comfortable enough with knowledge about. Please post up more info and I'll try to get it incorporated into the begining posts (note I did "reserve" a few extra posts to go back and add/edit info).
That was all great information, thanks!

I am pretty handy and do most of my own work on my track cars (BMW and Mazda) including suspension work, but there is a limit to how many purpose built modified vehicles I have time and energy to maintain, and the Jeep is different enough that there would be a learning curve for sure. I would prefer to keep it stock for life simplicity unless it becomes clear that I MUST do something, especially since my wife and teenager will likely also use it.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.