Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of folks using JK wheels on their WJ's. Is there a specific year range for the wheels we would use? What size is the lug pattern we would need? Any spacers required? Any issues while running these? Will a lift be needed? I currently run the OEM wheels and the chrome had started to peel, so the PO painted 3 of the 4 and they look bad. They're fine for the snow tires, but I'd really like to put some a bit nicer on come Spring. Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Any of the 17x7.5 wheels will work I believe. I am not sure of the offset vs WJ wheels, I run Moabs from a '14 JK with 1" spacers, the tread of a 265/70-17 is right out to the edge of the sheetmetal.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
JK’s were built from 97 to 2018. Both JK and WJ use the same bolt pattern and stud size. The offset maybe different. Depending on what size tire you want to run weather you need a lift of spacers. I ran a set of JK rims with 255/75/17 ( 32) on an 99 WJ. I had to install a 3 inch Lift and 1 1/4 spacers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
WJ and WK 17 x 7.5 wheels were the same specs. Don't know about the JK.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a little research on the offset, the OEM's on my WJ have a 50.8mm (2") offset. The JK wheels I'm looking at have a 44.45 (1.75") offset. So that would set the JK wheel 1/4" further into the wheel well. A 1/4" spacer puts the wheel just about where the OEM wheel sets. !/2" makes the stance 1/4" wider on each side.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
OEM wheels are 2.5" offset: either 16x7.0 w/ 6.0" backspace or 17x7.5 w/6.25" bs.
https://web.archive.org/web/20201111223503/http://www.wjjeeps.com/wheels.htm

Relationship between bs and offset:

WJ have a large positive offset compared to most other vehicles ... Try to find a set of aftermarket wheels at these specs, there is very little available, most have smaller offsets. So what you will wind up doing is pushing your tires outboard. This increases the scrub radius. The issue you run into is clearance with the splash shield at the forward end of your fender well in tight corners.

If the offset on your JK wheels is 1.75", that increases your scrub radius by 0.75". If you run factory tires, you might get away with this. I have 265/70R16 on mine which are 20mm (0.87") wider and ~1" taller than the factory 245/70/16 and they do not rub, but it is close.

A bit of info about the idea of spacers ... I could be wrong (high probability) but I think 1/4" spacers are not an option. I shopped for spacers a while back and all I saw were of the 1" or 1.5" variety. I have a nice set of red Synergy 1.5" spacers that I removed from mine after running for a month because they caused rubbing in my fender well.

·
Registered
366 Posts
JK (2007-2018) and JL (2018 and up) fit fine and have a 5x5 bolt pattern.

I am currently running JK rims but I have also ran JL rims with no issues using the same lug nuts (some say the JL requires different lug nuts but I didn't encounter that. I am using aftermarket lug nuts so YMMV)

Earlier Wranglers (TJ, 1997-2006) won't fit because their bolt pattern is 5x4.5.

·
Registered
656 Posts
17” JK Moabs are usually easy to find, cheap to buy ($100 often buys a set), and look great in my opinion. Once you get used to them, stock rims just don’t look right haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Are you setting your car up to run on metalled / surfaced / tarmaced roads, or to run off road please Mountain?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This will be primarily my daily driver, but also my hunt'in, fish'in, fool'in around rig. Do I intend to go rock crawling, serious off roading, or boon docking? No. But I also enjoy making "my" car mine, so it may get a small lift, a set of recovery hooks, maybe even a roof basket to accommodate an occasional extended camping trip. I live in Idaho, we have plenty of dirt road to explore without having to use a winch. ;)

The current OEM wheels just look bad, as I said, the PO painted three of them and didn't do a very good job. The rest of the rig is in amazing condition, and I'm one of those guys who can't stand attaching a turd to a gold bar. I also like using factory parts whenever possible. The right ones just make everything come together. Sorry, a rather lengthy answer to a simple question.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe a stupid question here, but where do you fellas find all of these JK wheels? Because they do look kinda nice and yeah I could maybe use an extra 3/4" on the offset.
I actually just picked up a set of 5 off the bay. They weren't quite the $100 for a set mentioned earlier, but were under $400 for all 5 shipped. I think I saw another set of 4 for $280 on there.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I also got mine off fleabay, $250 for a set of 4 with good tires, I sold those for $100. So $150 for a set and I was able to pick them up locally. I just bought a 5th one for a spare, paid $32 on fleabay AND the guy delivered it to my house!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a set of 5 for sale right now for $100 on the local FB marketplace (the ones in my avatar)

I bought a set of 5 of the Gunmetal JK wheels.

I think GA is a bit far for you though.

The JK wheels look great, are low cost, and easy to find a replacement if you bang one up off road.

What's not to like?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Check fbook market place, Craigslist etc, or post a wanted ad. Just think, for every modified JK with non-factory wheels (and there’s countless), there’s an original set of wheels floating out in the wild. And more often than not, those wheels are Moabs. So there’s lots out there. I have 2 sets myself, and paid $100 and $200 respectively.

As more jeeps get modified, more stock wheels get taken off.

Reactions: GmanWJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a set of JK wheels and tires for $400 for all 5. 75% tread on 4, 5th was new. From a 2018 JK. They are 245/75R17. I have a 2" lift but the fronts still rub in turns where the fog light connector touches the fender liner. I think I'm going to modify the fog light to give more space. I don't want to cut my bumpers on this one. Beats buying a new set of tires!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
This will be primarily my daily driver, but also my hunt'in, fish'in, fool'in around rig. Do I intend to go rock crawling, serious off roading, or boon docking? No. But I also enjoy making "my" car mine, so it may get a small lift, a set of recovery hooks, maybe even a roof basket to accommodate an occasional extended camping trip. I live in Idaho, we have plenty of dirt road to explore without having to use a winch. ;)

The current OEM wheels just look bad, as I said, the PO painted three of them and didn't do a very good job. The rest of the rig is in amazing condition, and I'm one of those guys who can't stand attaching a turd to a gold bar. I also like using factory parts whenever possible. The right ones just make everything come together. Sorry, a rather lengthy answer to a simple question.
Thanks Mountain, lovely response, I really enjoyed it, especially the phrase about a turd and a gold bar.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I also got mine off fleabay, $250 for a set of 4 with good tires, I sold those for $100. So $150 for a set and I was able to pick them up locally. I just bought a 5th one for a spare, paid $32 on fleabay AND the guy delivered it to my house!
Are you of Irish lineage cD?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts