Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anything around the grand rapids area, as in under and hour drive?

Reactions: DJsJK

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
The closest place is Silver Lake Dunes in Mears, and that's 1.5 hrs away. Further places are Rocks and Valleys in Harrison, and Twisted Trails in Copemish (never been).

·
Registered
35 Posts
We live near Fremont(40 miles NW of GR) and we'll hop on the snowmobile trail just North of White Cloud and ride it to Baldwin, or run the seasonal & forest roads by Twin Lake & Hesperia

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Theres trails out by gun lake. Nothing serious. but its close to home for me. Usually cant tear it up to bad or the dnr puts gates up to keep us from getting back there. :brickwall

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nothing hardcore in west michigan? Not true, I know a couple places between grand rapids and holland that can get pretty extreme. I'm not sure if the place I go is technically legal or not, I've asked a couple cops in the area and the answer I always get is that it's fine or that they don't care. But no mention of whether or not it's actually legal.

Then theres a lake not far from there surrounded in 2-tracks. A lot of people drive back there to go fishing, myself included.

Then there was a place by the rivertown mall but from what I've heard that was illegal and has been closed off.

on a trip to the lkq in wayland we found an old service road or something that goes on forever, looks pretty heavily used for wheeling too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Nothing hardcore in west michigan? Not true, I know a couple places between grand rapids and holland that can get pretty extreme. I'm not sure if the place I go is technically legal or not, I've asked a couple cops in the area and the answer I always get is that it's fine or that they don't care. But no mention of whether or not it's actually legal.

Then theres a lake not far from there surrounded in 2-tracks. A lot of people drive back there to go fishing, myself included.

Then there was a place by the rivertown mall but from what I've heard that was illegal and has been closed off.

on a trip to the lkq in wayland we found an old service road or something that goes on forever, looks pretty heavily used for wheeling too.
"I'm not sure if the place I go is technically legal or not..." means you didn't take two minutes to find out if you were tresspassing on private land, which is illegal even if the local cops aren't interested in enforcing it. And even if you are on state/federal land by accident, if it is "extreme" or "hardcore" as you claim but not part of the marked ORV route system, you run the risk of a ticket for "creating an erosive condition". That is not a traffic ticket, it is a misdemeanor criminal offense.

Know before you go:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ORVguide_95964_7.pdf
http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/handbook/

·
Registered
31 Posts
"I'm not sure if the place I go is technically legal or not..." means you didn't take two minutes to find out if you were tresspassing on private land, which is illegal even if the local cops aren't interested in enforcing it. And even if you are on state/federal land by accident, if it is "extreme" or "hardcore" as you claim but not part of the marked ORV route system, you run the risk of a ticket for "creating an erosive condition". That is not a traffic ticket, it is a misdemeanor criminal offense.

Know before you go:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ORVguide_95964_7.pdf
http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/handbook/
I have to agree with the above. Not checking if it's private land is what is hurting off road use the most. Even if it's public land it does not mean open to off road use. Myself I will not venture on to private land unless it's a road on my GPS or posted seasonal road. The DNR can ticket you even if the local law does not, so be careful.

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cedar Creek Trail one entrance is right at Stonegate golf course off M120 just before Twin Lake.
I thought this looked familiar! Was the mud hole in a valley of Sweeter Rd trail. up from the Stongate entrance? If so be very careful of the DNR, that area was posted "No Motor Vehicles" this summer and the signs were torn down. The Cedar Creek area is now mapped (MVUM map at National Forest site), if caught of closed trails you can be fined. Unfortunately it is up to us to know the open trails, just because it's there does not make it legal.

FYI - not trying to be a hard a**

·
Registered
433 Posts
I thought this looked familiar! Was the mud hole in a valley of Sweeter Rd trail. up from the Stongate entrance? If so be very careful of the DNR, that area was posted "No Motor Vehicles" this summer and the signs were torn down. The Cedar Creek area is now mapped (MVUM map at National Forest site), if caught of closed trails you can be fined. Unfortunately it is up to us to know the open trails, just because it's there does not make it legal.

FYI - not trying to be a hard a**
Yea, the mud pit is posted, but the trail around the outside of it is open to ORV. You have to basically go around the edge of the pit on the side trail to get to another trail anyways, my explanation might be a little confusing...

Anyways I didn't dare try to take on the posted area with the tires I had on anyways. Those pictures are of the posted section which I walked on foot. Dueller H/Ts suck everywhere but worse off-road.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yea, the mud pit is posted, but the trail around the outside of it is open to ORV. You have to basically go around the edge of the pit on the side trail to get to another trail anyways, my explanation might be a little confusing...

Anyways I didn't dare try to take on the posted area with the tires I had on anyways. Those pictures are of the posted section which I walked on foot. Dueller H/Ts suck everywhere but worse off-road.
Not confusing at all, been wheeling in that area for 30+ years. Hate to disappoint you but those trails are closed to ORV. If you check a copy of the MVUM for the Manistee NF you will find Sweeter Road is open (county rd.), Whitmire Rd. about 1.5 miles from Stonegate running north off Sweeter. Then the snowmobile trail from Whitmire to Linderman (not 100% sure about this trail). Linderman turns in to NF-5912 going south and dead ends. NF-9845 is a dead end off NF-5912 and there is a loop (NF-9842) of Whitmire. These are the only trails open to 4x4's. There is also a motorcycle trail system in the area closed to 4x4's. Sweeter Rd. and Linderman are also closed to unlicensed ORV's as may be Whitmire as they are county roads. Any two-track running of these trails are closed even if not posted according to Michigan Law. So just be careful when riding there, also the DNR does read some of the Forums.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.