Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. Just picked up a 1979 CJ7 that has the original white wagon wheels on it. They appear solid but could benefit from getting refinished. Rather than repainting them white, I'm interested in going with a polished look. Has anyone done something similar? Is the metal underneath the paint amenable to such a finish? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
They are mild steel.

You cannot get an alloy polished look with steel. Best you can hope for is that you paint them metallic silver and lacquer them, but then they look like grey steel wheels.

You could chrome them of course but finding a good and cheap chromer is getting harder.

There is always silvering, blast them with primer and then a silver nitrate based solution, looks like chrome, and then lacquer. Not sure how durable it is but it works fine on exterior trim of all types.

Reactions: JoonHoss

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Agree on powder coat.
Priced getting a set of OEM steelies done by local shop here in AZ, and around $100 ea x 4 (blasted/cleaned/coated), so looked into all the equipment/tools/stripper/powder from Eastwood and found it was about $100 to do all 4 myself. Just need a "curb" stove, which most of the top burners went out but oven still works, and people replace them and set the old one out for scrap. Standard kitchen size stove will fit an OEM wheel easily, and for me I have a 220V generator I can use for the processing, so no need to wire in a 220 outlet in my garage.....or could buy some cord and plug in where my electric dryer is now for temp use.
Just thinkin'

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Your oven must be larger than mine, I do not have 15" front to back. But then again nothing to stop one from gutting the electric element out of an oven and building a plywood oven.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Found this - probably as sold in USA?
How wide is the inside of a standard oven?
Thirty-inch ovens are the standard for most homes and most kitchens. The inside dimensions of the oven are approximately 25 inches wide and 16 inches high. The oven will be approximately 16 inches deep.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Could even use an old refrigerator shell. Have seen people make smokers out of them, using electric hot water elements, so should be able to make a low temp oven for powder coating!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts