Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Jeep CJ5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone!

quick summary, I've always wanted a jeep cj and i got this fella on a whim a few weeks back and ive started stripping it (some assembly required of course) and im learning a lot.

A LOT! (like 75s are hard to source aftermarket parts)

I had a friend come over and he mentioned that this isn't the original windshield frame from 75. Coincidently, the seller told me that the original windshield had been stolen (apparently that's a thing) and he was able to replace it with this one.

any idea what year of windshield frame this is? anyone have an idea what wiper kit i would use? the plan is to do an off frame resto at some point but for now I'm trying to get a safety for insurance, cover all the basics - and wipers are a part of it.. point me to a wiper kit?

and if you can - any info on where to buy parts for 75 (i know all the typical webpages)
i guess the question is: what parts can be used or modded to a 75?

greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
It is a pre 1975 as the wiper motor is on the outside and non vented. It will sit a bit taller/vertical than later windshields.

The bottom wipers were introduced in about 1968 so i am guessing it is of late 60s and early 70s era.

If so the 1968-1975 wiper mechanism should fit,

Reactions: R3D R1D3R

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
It is correct for the intermediate--1972-75--CJ5/6. Parts don't change much from year-to-year although the 76+ is a different animal, yet a lot of parts remain common.

As for parts availability I have failed to find a part--a bushing-- for our 74 only once and after I fabricated the bushing, I found it online and on the shelf at a local hardware store. You'll learn where to look. Asking here will usually get you good info, although some folks don't realize your Jeep may be different from theirs.

Welcome and that is a nice-looking Jeep.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,146 Posts
As said, that is the correct windshield for 75. Super jealous of the Advanced Adapters windshield hold downs. My moron self cut a set up to remove a windshield many many years ago before I realized what they were. The bolt had corroded into the aluminum mount on the dash and cutting them was the only way to get the lift off windshield off.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Off topic, but I have not seen a set of Wrangler R/T's for a looong time. had a set of those in 31x11.50 size on a CJ in the early 80's. I really liked them, they were quiet but still provided lots of traction in mud and snow.

·
Registered
1975 Jeep CJ5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is correct for the intermediate--1972-75--CJ5/6. Parts don't change much from year-to-year although the 76+ is a different animal, yet a lot of parts remain common.

As for parts availability I have failed to find a part--a bushing-- for our 74 only once and after I fabricated the bushing, I found it online and on the shelf at a local hardware store. You'll learn where to look. Asking here will usually get you good info, although some folks don't realize your Jeep may be different from theirs.

Welcome and that is a nice-looking Jeep.
Thanks for the Info and that seems to be the way it works for sure. i now spend 85% of my free time looking for jeep parts!

·
Registered
1975 Jeep CJ5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As said, that is the correct windshield for 75. Super jealous of the Advanced Adapters windshield hold downs. My moron self cut a set up to remove a windshield many many years ago before I realized what they were. The bolt had corroded into the aluminum mount on the dash and cutting them was the only way to get the lift off windshield off.
i like them too.... although they were installed "tight" and have some stripping on the starter threads so once i get them in ill probably never drop that windshield.

·
Registered
1975 Jeep CJ5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Off topic, but I have not seen a set of Wrangler R/T's for a looong time. had a set of those in 31x11.50 size on a CJ in the early 80's. I really liked them, they were quiet but still provided lots of traction in mud and snow.
yeah pretty neat hey, still holding air but have cracking. This jeep was a display model at a local Jeep/Dodge dealership and they had those on there. i presume they came off a 70s chevy blazer or something alike. they will be getting replaced but I'm definitely going to keep one on the back as a spare for "the look"

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Lots of parts out there, problem is finding ones that are acceptable quality but not hugely expensive.

·
Registered
1975 Jeep CJ5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of parts out there, problem is finding ones that are acceptable quality but not hugely expensive.
ya they're out there. i havent found anything in the scrap yard but i did manage to find a new wiper linkage in Texas. $179.00 USD and made in the USA which i like, add shipping and 30% more for us canucks and it aint cheap for a little bar. but thats the way she goes i guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts