Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What to do, what to do?

711 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  renots 
#1 ·
Hey all, this is my first post and apologize if this is multi-asked question but...

Just purchased a 2000 XJ sport 4x4 and I'm pretty new to the whole 4x4 world so bare with me lol

I'm moving to Colorado in about 6 months and want to slightly mod the jeep but keep it chill on city streets. I don't do a whole lot of crazy wheeling, just the occasional mud pit.

Any suggestions?

Is like a medium lift and a/t tires but without having to hack too much off the bumper. (if possible)

Thanks! Appreciate the replys.

#3 ·
I have a 3" rough country lift 30" mud tires flowmaster muffler only the best:) haha. I drive it everyday. 3"s is perfect not too pricey big enough to fit 31's if you desire and good for dd. It gets me anywhere I want to go...because Cherokees are simple bad a** in the first place but the clearance is perfect.

#6 ·
I have 3" lift with 31's, and I can do most local trails. They are mainly rocky rutty climbs. Still good on the road too. Only minor fender trimming required. Maybe longer brake lines to accommodate flex, but that should be it! Lift it and drive it to see what you like or need. Theres alot of scenic easy drives here, you'll have fun!

#9 ·
Awesome. Thanks all the input!

Thinking 2" lift with 30s will be great. Also it'll raise the lift gate so my 6' 1 body can make it under w/o knocking my head lol:thumbdown:

Any rough idea on how much to spend on all this w/o spending an arm and a leg?

#10 ·
i'm kind of in the same boat that you are in. except that i already of an 08 wrangler that's lifted with 35's. so it's kind of strange to me that i would have to put a huge lift on my 96 xj just to clear those same 35" tires. i'm going to keep it simple, thinking a tf bb lift or maybe just go with some 3" rock krawler springs. just enough to clear 32's with some minor trimming..?? :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Don't know how new you are, so I'll keep the acronyms to a minimum (always confused me when I started reading stuff here!) Just a word of warning - take a good look at your leaf springs before you buy. If they're sagging too much, you're going to want to replace them instead of simply buying an add-a-leaf kit. Otherwise they'll start to sag again after a little time on and off the road. You could spend around $250 and get a fairly nice set-up of 2" with add-a-leafs though. If your leaves are saggy though, set aside some more cash to replace them.

#13 ·
I'm very new. So I appreciate it. Haha
I'll go take a look at the lead springs and see if they're sagging. I got the truck with 97k on it, but it's immaculate inside and really nice on the outside. The couple who owned it before me were a San Francisco couple who used it a's a Lake Tahoe or beach vehicle. Minute rust damage but that's it.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.