Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to change out fluid on my trans. I'm wondering what you have in yours... owners manual call for 75w-90 gl-5. I was thinking about getting a moble 1 75w-90. I've had good luck with redline products in my other cars in past. if I go with redline, should I use good'ol mtl or mt-90 or 50/50?

I know there aren't too many 5spd xj owner out there but please share your opnion.
thanks

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
MT 90 is what is generally used in ax-15's if your using Redling products. Thats all I have ever put in mine, I recommend it 110% to anyone with an ax-15. I have heard of some people using MTL, but 99% of people use MT 90 I believe. Dont use regular 75w-90 (i.e. mobil 1) gear oil as the manual recommends...the sulfer in it will eat away at your brass syncros over time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in ohio and it gets pretty cold in winter time. I know mt-90 is little thiker than mtl and I don't want to be all notchy when it's cold. does anybody mix it to 50/50? how about penzoil synchromesh? I had a car that required gl-3 and gl-4 because of brass synchro.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
oneup said:
I'm in ohio and it gets pretty cold in winter time. I know mt-90 is little thiker than mtl and I don't want to be all notchy when it's cold. does anybody mix it to 50/50? how about penzoil synchromesh? I had a car that required gl-3 and gl-4 because of brass synchro.
You've probably already got your answer but I'll revive this old thread anyway. I recently sent an email to Redline oil in reguards to a different car. For that vehicle they suggested mixing the MTL and MT-90. So apparently it can be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.