• Willys

• Sport Altitude

• Sahara

• Rubicon

• Sahara Altitude

• High Altitude

• Rubicon 392

• Other

What Jeep do you have? Hows the build coming along?

611 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Kev M
Doing a little test to see whats currently out there being built! Seems like these types of threads keeps all of us entertained & up to date on stuff we didn't know we needed to know!

What are you doing to your Jeep this week?

We would love to hear about your process & what you're currently up to in the process of your build.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

6,043 Posts
I bought a Sport simply because eventually I knew it would be modified and money was tight when we bought it so I went with the cheapest on the lot. However my wife wants a new Wrangler style Jeep at some point in the near future and she wants a Rubicon, of which I concur.

Reactions: RandyMarionCDJR

· King of Price
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I bought a Sport simply because eventually I knew it would be modified and money was tight when we bought it so I went with the cheapest on the lot. However my wife wants a new Wrangler style Jeep at some point in the near future and she wants a Rubicon, of which I concur.
Thats our thinking too! We got a 4xe as our first Jeep but we are now thinking of downsizing. We really wanted to experience the best Jeep had to offer but is it really the best if youre to scared to modify it? Lol. We would rather downsize and get something affordable, and a bit older

6,043 Posts
My biggest issue wit on the lot JL/JT's these days are how they are optioned. There is always crap on them I don't want and missing things I do want.

I get it, dealers want to offer the more profitable/popular options, but some of the combinations I see leaves me shaking my head. (popular may be simply options the dealer orders all the time and customers buy but really don't know any better)

My desired Rubicon is a 8.4 radio, aux switch/HD trailer tow, steel bumpers, cold weather group, Gorilla Glass, LED Lighting, 3.6L With the 8 Speed, no nanny devices and prefer a black sunrider soft top but could accept the hard top. I understand that I might not find an exact match because of my color choice but, that combination of options is never on anybody's lot. I do understand that there might be a few add on options (like either nanny group) to that setup but I can't even get close.

Now I would get the XR package in a heartbeat but momma says no for her vehicle. :D

Reactions: RandyMarionCDJR

· King of Price
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My biggest issue wit on the lot JL/JT's these days are how they are optioned. There is always crap on them I don't want and missing things I do want.

I get it, dealers want to offer the more profitable/popular options, but some of the combinations I see leaves me shaking my head. (popular may be simply options the dealer orders all the time and customers buy but really don't know any better)

My desired Rubicon is a 8.4 radio, aux switch/HD trailer tow, steel bumpers, cold weather group, Gorilla Glass, LED Lighting, 3.6L With the 8 Speed, no nanny devices and prefer a black sunrider soft top but could accept the hard top. I understand that I might not find an exact match because of my color choice but, that combination of options is never on anybody's lot. I do understand that there might be a few add on options (like either nanny group) to that setup but I can't even get close.

Now I would get the XR package in a heartbeat but momma says no for her vehicle. :D

· Registered
3,209 Posts
I'm the opposite of you guys. I want to buy it out of the box with everything I want on it. I'd rather drive than wrench (or ride than wrench on my bikes too). That's why I factory ordered my 2016 JKU (because in the end I wanted a blend of a Willys and a Sahara - 6-speed, Trac-Lok, 3.73 gears/max tow, w/ NAV, Alpine, and heated leather).

BUT even then Jeep wouldn't let me configure it the way I WANTED IT. To get the heated leather I needed to accept the ugly Sahara wheels. So in the end I had to buy Willys take offs and live with the M/T tires for a while. Oh plus, I would have preferred the unpainted Willys fender flares. And even then I wound up wrenching a lot (2.0" lift, Armorlite floor etc.)

I should say I've literally never seen a JLU/JT on the lot (other than a 4Xe) that has the ONE make or brake option I won't buy a new JLU/JT without - the transfer case with the full-time 4wd setting! I still want the cold weather package, I want the tech/convenience/premium radio stuff, I still want 17" or 18" black wheels, but I HAVE to have a brown leather interior, tow package and throw in the Gorilla glass too.

I went down a rabbit hole these past few weeks and got very close to factory ordering a new JLU to replace my JKU (mostly because the ridiculous trade value on my JKU). It took me days to analyze the various models and different paths to get what I want.

* 4Xe - could get me most of it, brown leather, 2.0T, and the plug-in hybrid would actually work for most of my local driving, but the 20" wheels on the Sahara are a non-starter for me and the extra weight would suck in the sand so no.

* Sahara Altitude - damn near perfect for me, except Black Leather - no WAY we're parking it on the OBX beach all day with the sun heating up the seats and then climbing in to burn ourselves. My saddle brown leather isn't cold to the touch, but it's not nearly as hot as black.

* Sahara - I could do this, but I'd have to hunt down and swap out wheels again...and the M/T tires, though great in the sand would probably get ridiculously loud again within 10-20k miles so I'd have to swap tires too before I knew it.

* Willys - in the end THIS is what I was going to order. I sat with a salesman and configured it perfectly (except the tires and seats):

Hydro Blue
2.0T
8-spd auto
Tan Cloth (to be replaced by two-tone Katzkin in the future)
Black 3-piece insulated hardtop (to add a tan OEM or aftermarket later)
2.42:1 Selec-Trac Full Time 4wd Tcase
Gorilla
Convenience Group
Tech Group
Tow and HD elect Group
Cold Weather Group
Remote prox key

MSRP $52,875 / FWP $50,529

They offered a trade of $28.5k on my 51k mile Hydro Blue JKUS.

I was REALLY tempted. REALLY....REALLY tempted. I would probably have even added the MOPAR 2.0" lift before delivery.

I will probably order one like this if it is still available in roughly this configuration in a year or two. That way I can just keep my JKU as a third vehicle and not have to trade it in.

But I'd be lying if I didn't say I remain REALLY tempted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.