Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the 2.5 ton RPM steering kit installed on my jl back in May. I drove it a week and by the end of the week both screws on the tie rod were unscrewed and came loose, so I had really loose steering, and I drive 100 miles a day for work. I went back to the shop and they fixed the issue, they said they put a bunch more lock tight, and it was fine up until this week.
Today I noticed my steering felt off, so I checked that part and I saw that the screw that holds the tie rod down came undone again, so this is the second time this has happened. What is the issue? Just the shop not putting it together or is there something actually wrong with my steering kit?
I put up pics from the first time, and the second time. the darker pic was from back in May when it happened to both sides first. What should I do?
Also my tie rod and drag link were really scratched and not shiny like in other peoples pics, is that just cause of installation? Lol thanks
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Judging from those pictures, if you actually feel a change in the steering behavior, it is more than just the locknut working loose (which would not in itself change the steering behavior). Should have alignment checked also

Reactions: Leongorani

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yk the 2500-5500's have this same issue V06 recall if I'm not mistaken, the recall calls for you to weld the jam nuts...now I'm not saying weld your brand new tie rod, but you might have the installer notch them with a chisel just to make sure they don't come lose, I've done that for customers in the past who didn't want to weld their draglink.

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
if that aftermarket tie rod is alloy you wont be welding it to steel.

Looks like it was not tightened enough.

If its pulling thread from the alloy rod then its dune. when loose alloy rod be it control arms or drag links the threads tend to wear. can happen with steel ones but not as fast.

I assume you do not work on the jeep. I have never taking a jeep to align. its just not that hard to do with simple things like a tape measure and a angle finder.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
I would consider going with a better brand. Synergy makes great steering and suspension component, although I found they were high maintenance for a daily driver.

I am currently running a Teraflex tie rod and drag link. So far they are great and they are low maintenance.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Sometimes aftermarket 'upgrades' are not as good a stock. The manufacturer is forced by law and practicality to use very well tested designs because there will be millions of them out there and recalls are very expensive.

Of course there are great aftermarket stuff produced as well (usually not cheap) but host of others that market on an false 'upgrade' image. Be sure to know the difference.

[This is general advice. I am NOT specifically referencing the products mentioned above... I have no personal experience with them. The nature of that repeated failure, though, is quite disturbing.]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts