Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What is the difference - KK v KJ????

114600 Views 56 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  okiecowboy1969
I'm new to the forum. What is the difference in a KK and KJ liberty??
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
off topic but maybe interesting, my 02 kj has done better with firestone destinations as far as mpg than others, has anyone found better?
I you want the best MPG use road tyres, not A/T tyres. You will also get better ride quality, lower noise and much better on-road handling...They will probably last longer too.
I'm using Alfamotors DK365 235/70R16 106H, road-going SUV tyres on on my 2005 2.8 CRD Sport KJ, which suits me perfectly as my KJ is my daily ride and I don't plan on taking it offroad anytime soon. The DK365's have a very good Euro B rating for both wet grip and economy which is far better than most A/T tyres...The latter usually have an average F rating for both wet grip and economy, which is poor.
Thanks to my manual six speed gearbox and the DK365's, I'm averaging 38mpg, in US gallons (45mpg in UK gallons), dropping to a minimum of 33mpg, in US gallons, if I use the aircon all day. (Which I have to at the moment as it's the height of summer here and averaging 31'C outside).
Alfamotors tyres are also known under the brand names Double King, Zestino or Lakesea, all of which are made by the Qingdao Keluck Tyre Co. Ltd, in China.
You can find them on Alibaba, but alas, they have a minimum order of 200 tyres, so look for your local tyre supplier that stocks at least one of those brands. They are very high quality tyres but cheap to buy too. The treadwear rating on the DK365's is an impressive 440 and they come with a 50,000km (31,000 miles) warranty.
I bought four online from a tyre company in the UK, over 120 miles away, on ebay for £118 with free delivery, and they came the next day by courier! I had to pay a further £49 for one more for the spare wheel.

· Registered
46 Posts
Jeepsterkj

A Diesel would be awesome, but before installing it unless you are overseas you will have difficulty passing it through inspection. I think you have to go with a motor made in your year or later.

On the flip side, it would be very expensive to do also. The computer work would be the biggest pain.

What I would think would be neat mod would be ridding the 4spd trans and replacing with a 5spd. I think the computer reprogramming would be a nightmare.
UK spec 2.8 CRD Sport's came with the Mercedes NSG370 6 speed manual gearbox...With a 6 speed the KJ is like a dragster away from the lights in 1st, but you can get up to 38mpg in 6th.
It's a really smooth cruiser too...30mph at 1000rpm in 6th, and you don't even have to use the throttle because it has so much torque!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.