Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought this forum died from the sale and competing forums, but I didn't realize how bad it had gotten for other cars.

I bought a Mercury Comet (Ford Fairlane), and those forums are worse than this one. Not the most popular muscle car, and certainly not as popular as a Wrangler. But I have owned a lot of cars and even unremarkable, undesirable, 15 year old daily drivers had very active forums!

I hear that Facebook took over. I don't have Facebook, but I've seen Facebook. Particularly marketplace, and it is horrible. I can't wrap my head around how it managed to kill Craigslist. Was it designed by a child? Websites were better organized and more searchable in 1998.

So is Facebook the place to go for technical information? Is it organized/categorized? By model, model year/generation, etc.?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
It seems that fewer and fewer people are technically inclined, like it's going out of style

·
Administrator
21,193 Posts
I always thought this forum died from the sale and competing forums, but I didn't realize how bad it had gotten for other cars.

I bought a Mercury Comet (Ford Fairlane), and those forums are worse than this one. Not the most popular muscle car, and certainly not as popular as a Wrangler. But I have owned a lot of cars and even unremarkable, undesirable, 15 year old daily drivers had very active forums!

I hear that Facebook took over. I don't have Facebook, but I've seen Facebook. Particularly marketplace, and it is horrible. I can't wrap my head around how it managed to kill Craigslist. Was it designed by a child? Websites were better organized and more searchable in 1998.

So is Facebook the place to go for technical information? Is it organized/categorized? By model, model year/generation, etc.?
facebook is crap. wityh very few exceptions the car groups are flooded with morons and a simple question will get a pile of wrong answers by drive by users. the for sale marketplace is worse with a horrible search and idiot losers responding to the ads.

I put some free furniture on craigslist and facebook and got no takers from either except a thousand "do you still have it?" not sure where all the humans have gone

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, I do see that Facebook automatically fills in "Is this item still available?" if you try to contact someone. Didn't we all agree that was code for "this is a scam" or "I'm a tire kicker"?

It seems that fewer and fewer people are technically inclined, like it's going out of style
I don't have a better answer than this, but it is hard to believe. Just 10-20 years ago, forums were booming with a wide range of ages. They couldn't have all died. Where did their need for information go?

And enthusiasm for cars has not dropped. Everything that is 20+ years old is now a "classic" and selling for a premium. We're talking 1980's and 90's junk. Never mind "old" trucks, Jeeps, and less desirable muscle cars (like a Comet).

Part of it certainly is that muscle cars and old trucks used to be for the working class "car guys". Now they are for the Concours D'elegance crowd of yuppies willing to pay $30k for something that wouldn't have sold for $5k just 5 years ago. Some might call it "The Barrett Jackson Effect".

Driver quality (real) classics sell for $10-15k. Who can afford to spend that? On a toy? I could afford that, but I'm not willing. Can a high school/college kid? Not a chance. 30 year old trying to have kids and a mortgage? Nope.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
There are active forums for special interest cars, like Jeep, Mustang, Corvette, and classics because those owners tend to have more direct interest in the vehicles. To many people, cars are just something to use until you get a new one. No one gets really excited about a Camry (even though it is a good car) because they drive it, take it to the dealer for service, and eventually replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But I guarantee there are Camry enthusiasts and that there was a very active forum.

I had a VW Passat, and there was an active forum for it. It's hard to beat a beige, hub capped ~2000 Camry on the scale of boring and bland, but the Passat gives it a run for its money.

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
You bring up an interesting point.
Perhaps what this forum lacks is a dedicated "other than Jeep" section much like the "quitters" forum on ECJ5 which focuses on other projects. I've been spending a lot of time there working with a first gen Bronco owner (a subject I have some knowledge in).

Perhaps if you post in the CJ forum you can find an enthusiast with some specialized knowledge.

Since most Jeeps parallel their car and truck counterparts of the same year, perhaps a subsection buried within each of the Jeep model sections.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Face book has some what killed web site forums. Its more like posts of memes and full of BS. Any real post get buried to fast. I left FB long ago.

There was a rather good Virtual Jeep club in AZ that had a huge web forum that was rather busy with runs and question etc. They added a face book page that is nothing but BS. They web page today is gone as is forum a dead link. You can make a event but again no page to keep out the clutter like it would be say if people here wheeled and used this page to do the logistics.

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,576 Posts
Yup, that's a big part of it. I'd estimate 80% of the people in my local off-road club have never changed a tire. They will buy a used built up Rubicon and what to tag along on a Hard level club ride, then are totally useless if anything happens to their rig, or any one on the ride. Their first reaction to their broken rig is, 'Do I have cell service?'

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Yup, that's a big part of it. I'd estimate 80% of the people in my local off-road club have never changed a tire. They will buy a used built up Rubicon and what to tag along on a Hard level club ride, then are totally useless if anything happens to their rig, or any one on the ride. Their first reaction to their broken rig is, 'Do I have cell service?'
On hard level trails no matter what you drive. Reality is driving it there can very problematic. As it might not be a roller to get home in. Parts not always on hand and leaving something over night can be problematic as well. We have maybe 60 in our club here in Bullhead AZ. The people that tend to run say 4.0 to 4.5 in the end will be those on trailers, have parts and most can do near anything needed if a tight fix. Hard stuff breaks stuff, no matter what you drive. seen more then a few newer Rubicons and older jeeps and other 4x4 go places the driver was rather sorry they did...Was not the jeep fault as well..driver was no were ready for say 4.0-4.5 AZ and understand the cost of playing like that. See it at runs and your right and it makes for at times a long long day.

I would say 20% of our 60 in the club are able to fix it enough to get it out or drag you out< hard trails this can be complicated. That was me 3 weeks ago. lost rear wheel drive when the yoke blew. 2x4 in Az 4.5 means you are f...... well by the time we winched it enough to get another around me i ripped a front control arm off, i was leading. well i had no yoke but i have rigged more then a few broken arms or track bars< 10 minutes that is fixed. rest was being dragged fest to the escape road and drove the junk slow to the trailer and home to my shop. fixed and ran the Desert Splash. man that yoke just ripped off the ears, 10 years? wonder if its another issue or One off.....maybe i need a 1350 rear shaft?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it is not worth joining Facebook for technical discussions? This stuff doesn't happen anymore?

How about parts buying? I can see Facebook Marketplace, but what about these "groups"?

Craigslist and Ebay are dead, and Marketplace certainly didn't fill the vacuum. So are the parts all in private "groups"?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You bring up an interesting point.
Perhaps what this forum lacks is a dedicated "other than Jeep" section much like the "quitters" forum on ECJ5 which focuses on other projects. I've been spending a lot of time there working with a first gen Bronco owner (a subject I have some knowledge in).

Perhaps if you post in the CJ forum you can find an enthusiast with some specialized knowledge.

Since most Jeeps parallel their car and truck counterparts of the same year, perhaps a subsection buried within each of the Jeep model sections.
Didn't there used to be an "other cars" page here? Maybe I'm thinking of another forum.

Maybe I should ask around in some of the older Jeep pages.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I think part of it is the current owners of JF don't want to accept that their default skin is visually less attractive than the classic skin. I joined JF back when the classic skin was the default, just because it's visually more appealing. Sort of lucky that I joined on the tail end of the height of JF's popularity, so I learned a lot by searching in here.

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,576 Posts
I think part of it is the current owners of JF don't want to accept that their default skin is visually less attractive than the classic skin.
This is the first time I've heard of someone choosing a forum to frequent based upon appearance. To me, all the cosmetics here in either skin are the butt ugliest of anywhere I go. I do prefer the 'new' default though. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
We have to learn somewhere

·
Registered
656 Posts
The car hobby has shifted. People get their information from places, show off in different spaces. And the builds aren’t like the were. Younger people to the hobby surf the old pages from time to time, but don’t participate. They look to YouTube and FBook for repair info, and Instagram (and FB to a much lesser extent) to show off. And as car platforms become obsolete, they become less appealing to the new crowd. A model is popular twice: when they’re new, and when they finally become affordable. And with more and more cars becoming nearly impossible to mod without serious money/knowledge, the hobby continues to disappear. Guys would modify old Mitsus, Nissan’s and even Hyundai’s. You virtually can’t with current models. You can’t even replace a stereo head unit now without screwing everything up. Now the most they’ll do is throw wheels, a programmer and maybe an exhaust on.

Without advertising it, I co-founded what remains the largest Dodge/Mopar forum online with membership deep into the 6 figures , but active membership and weekly post aren’t half what they were last I checked. I also ran (a term I use loosely, because I’m not tech savvy. Others did that stuff) a large DSM related forum, dealing with Mitsubishi/Chrysler vehicles. We had tens of thousands of members and millions of posts. Now it’s dead. They might get a new post a month if they’re lucky. The only time we see any activity is around Christmas when the old timers come on just to wish each other well...but this Christmas, we only saw about 5 posts. Even on LX forums (Charger/Chally/300) it’s a ghost town. That place was rocking a few years ago

I do miss the good old days back in 2001-2011. There was nothing like it. The excitement and seeing the new stuff guys were trying. There were a lot of pioneers then….not to mention the camaraderie. Many made lifetime friends over cars. Without sounding too nostalgic, I wish we could go back.

Reactions: JoonHoss

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
Late to the conversation, but my two bits:

For almost any newer vehicle (and I use the term newer lightly), YOUTUBE has a video to answer almost ANY how to question. That is the go-to for many, MANY people nowadays.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but if you want to know how to change the gear indicator light on your 2011 jeep JKU, it's probably easier for most to Google the topic on YouTube, and watch the 2min video of the entire process than register for a forum, post the question and hope for a good answer.

As for selling things, FB marketplace and offer up seemingly killed craigslist, as did them charging a fee to list vehicles.

I'm not a fan of the new forum software either, and the proliferation of websites (jeep forum, wrangler forum, jk forum) as opposed to a simple/single forum like JF was in The beggining hasn't helped matters.

Hoss

·
Registered
656 Posts
Although many might not like the new forum layout, this forum uses the Xenforo platform that almost all car forums now use, because it’s simple, cost effective and mobile friendly. So whether it’s a Jeep forum, or a Chrysler 200 forum, or even a tennis forum….they are all identical. And the ones that aren’t, either have more funding from paid membership/owners or are ghost towns.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This place has been subforumed to death. ~75% of the subforums could be consolidated. This would help drive traffic back up. Navigating is difficult, and people don't post where there isn't traffic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts