Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got an 06 Wrangler Sport with the 6 Speed. Soon to be getting 35x12.50s. This is my daily driver any suggestions on gearing from those running this setup? Also I know the D30 is supposed to be a little weak for 35's so what if I did an ARB Locker/Axle combo with high spline axles?

·
Registered
639 Posts
4.56s with your six speed is what seems to be the best.And even if you didnt upgrade your D30 right away it can handle 35s pretty well, lots of people run the stock d30 for years on 35s without any problems.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok just searched trying to see if I missed something yesterday still cant find out anything on the 6 speeds. All you can want for the 5 speed tho lol. Anyone else wanna chime in? What about 4.88s? Is that gonna be too low for a DD?

·
MAiL Crawler.
4,317 Posts
honestly, you could even get away with your current 3.73s. what tires do you have NOW? how often do you use first gear?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would say if its your dd definetly do the 4.56, i have the same setup but went with 4.88s little low for a dd in my opinion but if you plan on getting another vehicle in near future id say go with the 4.88s i love the way the jeep does off road now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldnt do the 30 spline kit.

Just get the regular ARB, some 27 spline alloys and carry your stock shafts for spares. Either way, the weak link will probably be the u joints but many wheel on 27 spline shafts without problems.
Why wouldnt you do the 30 Splines? Hard to find or what? Just Curious.

honestly, you could even get away with your current 3.73s. what tires do you have NOW? how often do you use first gear?
I have the stock 30" Tires on right now was planning on going to 33's but I got a heck of a deal on a lift, brand new tires on steel rims for $600

I would say if its your dd definetly do the 4.56, i have the same setup but went with 4.88s little low for a dd in my opinion but if you plan on getting another vehicle in near future id say go with the 4.88s i love the way the jeep does off road now.
Thanks man I was hoping someone would chime in that had the 6 speed!

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts

Thanks man I was hoping someone would chime in that had the 6 speed!
If, and, or when you break an axle no one will have a 30 spline for you to swap out. Stick with 27 spline and carry your old shafts as spares. (It's been talked about a ton if you want to do more reading)

I run 35''s with the NSG370 (6 speed) and 4.56 gears. It's a nice set-up, esp if you have to run on the freeway much. There is not much difference between 4.56 and 4.88 so you could run 4.88s just fine.

Compare both set-ups here.
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

What's your plan for being able to stop and turn with 35s?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Search Function

There are literally about 150 threads on this subject already. Try using the search function. All your questions will be answered.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
If, and, or when you break an axle no one will have a 30 spline for you to swap out. Stick with 27 spline and carry your old shafts as spares. (It's been talked about a ton if you want to do more reading)
What he said.

I am planning a build for 35s. I am going to a super 30 kit in the rear, 30 spline.

I was going to do the front to match, but I havent really seen anyone with 27 spline break at the splines, its more at the u-joint.
And spares are a lot cheaper/easier to find.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Ive got an 06 Wrangler Sport with the 6 Speed. Soon to be getting 35x12.50s. This is my daily driver any suggestions on gearing from those running this setup?
With a 6th gear ratio of.84 (suprisingly low OD gear), and at 70 mph you'll see ......
-2422 rpm w/ 4.56 gears and 35' tires in 6th.
-2600 rpm w/ 4.88 gears and 35" tires in 6th.

Your choice; as mentioned above, either one will work for you.

RJ

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are literally about 150 threads on this subject already. Try using the search function. All your questions will be answered.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the advice... I did use the search function with no luck for about an hour before I made this thread. I found everything I could ever nee to know about a 5 speed. No one really talking about the 6 speeds. Maybe I didnt type the right things into the search Idk, but I did try.

As for everyone else thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The problem with doing a search is....
The people that need them the most (new members) are the ones that are least skilled at knowing which search parameters work the best! :)

I came here after 10 yrs and 12,000+ posts on a Dodge Diesel Forum.
I found what worked there for a 'Search', did not work well on the Jeep Forum!
I'm still learning what works best over here! Can be frustrating at times.

·
Registered
100 Posts
something i forgot to add earlier...really research into the tires you buy i run the mtz 35 which really measures @ 34 in, so @ 70 on the highway im 3000 to 3100 rpms a lil higher than id like to be, and my first gear is rendered pretty much useless expect for wheelin and starting on steep inclines.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I have the 6 speed and have been researching and all i could really find was the 5 speed. So now I know I need the 5.13 gears for my 38's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts