Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What followed me home

901 15
So I picked up this frame yesterday. I was told it was a CJ5, he thought it was a 73 but from what I can tell it is pre 71, Wheelbase is 81". I would like to start with what do I really have so I can try to figure out what I am going to do with it. The frame is rock solid, hell of a lot better then my TJ. Any info would be great and any suggestions on what route I should take to make it whole. I would like to lift it with at least 35" tires and maybe a V8 of some sort. But if the frame is not up to the task or if is best to restore it back to a more original state that is an option too. I got it cheap and just want to have fun with it with the family. Thanks Steve
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Plant Motor vehicle Wood Grass Gas
Plant Green Wood Automotive tire Grass
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
491 Posts
Just restore it. That would be the easiest thing to do. That is pre 71 and in good condition. Do all the gears, brakes and steering work?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are suppose to. I know the steering works well enough to move it around the yard. The brakes and lines are all new, so I am told but I can't get the pedal to go down, I have not looked into the master cylinder yet. Not sure about the gears I have not try anything with them yet other than moving one of the transfer from natural to in gear.

Is there a section here that gives a year by year info on what these should have. The TJ section has one. Stock TJ Specifications I didn't see one here in the CJ section.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Way too nice to Frankenstein up

It uses many of the same gear as my '46 CJ2A---I know it's newer than that!

I do feel sure I could probably stick one of our 2A bodies on it and make it work out!

But yes---keep it close to original---them big tires just cost more---big engine will shell out

the older drivetrain fast.

Here's pics (2 pages) of "Willy"----Whatever it is---CJ3B or Early CJ-5 it will turn out great!

I've got 2 years of hard work in mine---you'll see how bad it was in the beginning.

Your frame is almost ready to go!

----JEEPFELLER

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Recently in quest of used parts I visited a local business which sells used parts and does restorations. He had a 66 CJ5 frame with an odd fire Buick 225 in it. He had changed it to front steer and put on11" drums. He was in the process of putting a CJ2A or CJ3A body--I can't tell the difference--on the frame.

·
Premium Member
1995 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
491 Posts
The early CJ5 had a longer frame in the rear. You could tell if you ever tried to mount a CJ2 or CJ3 draw bar on an early CJ5 or vice-versa. I also saw a CJ3B body on an early CJ5 frame once. The frame stuck out past the tailgate a little so he incorporated it into a custom bumper. It turned out pretty nice and other than that I couldn't tell that it wasn't the original frame.

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
That is early and in really good condition, most older CJ fans would love to get their hands on it. So how can we narrow it down?:

- It has Ross steering with the quadrant up front. This is 1942 to 1971.

- 81" wheelbase is 1954 to 1971

- It has the T90A-1 transmission and Model 18 transfer case. This was used 1946 to 1962 with the L and F head. A legendary 3 speed.

So it looks without a lot of checking and the frame number, that it is a 1954 to 1962 CJ5 with the F head 75 hp four-cylinder Willys Hurricane engine.

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,859 Posts
Should be on top of the framerail, either right at firewall, or over rear axle, both on passenger side, (I think)

Hoss

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Rub some chalk across it then just quick flat wipe off to leave the chalk in the stamping.

Or take a pic with your phone, then you can blow it up so you can see it more clearly?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,296 Posts
Based on the looks of that frame, I'd say you are very close to narrowing it down to it being a 1954-64 frame. 59' model year based on the serial number you found. It could be a CJ-5 or a CJ-6 and you will need to measure for dimensions.
Try using the frame photo below and measure it against the dimensions given below the frame drawing.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Drawing

Font Number Parallel Document Circle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts