Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am wanting to get some 33" tires for my TJ and I know it's not as simple as that. What I'm asking is what exactly do I need to do to get on the right track to putting some new shoes on my Jeep i.e. Lift kit, Suspensions, Spacers, Steering gear box, anything that stock Jeeps don't have that I would need as I'm going off to Purdue and Bad Lands is right there! I can't fight the temptation and Im not satisfied with my stock jeep! Thanks for reading
-WM

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Hey all,
I am wanting to get some 33" tires for my TJ and I know it's not as simple as that. What I'm asking is what exactly do I need to do to get on the right track to putting some new shoes on my Jeep i.e. Lift kit, Suspensions, Spacers, Steering gear box, anything that stock Jeeps don't have that I would need as I'm going off to Purdue and Bad Lands is right there! I can't fight the temptation and Im not satisfied with my stock jeep! Thanks for reading
-WM
You need a 2" Budget Lift or a 3" Lift. And you need a 4" to 4.5" backspace. To fit 33s. Minimum !!

Sounds like you will want to go with a quality brand name lift if you are going to start exploring Jeep Rated Trails. A HighLine kit can give you clearance without lifting as high.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can you give us more info about your Jeep? Engine/transmission/axles are the important ones. If you want to do 33s well, I suggest gearing down. Having too high of gearing will be a pain on the road and will make certain obstacles more difficult because you won't be able to go slow enough over them and risk damaging your Jeep or breaking things.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You'll need a 2-2.5" lift and a 1" body lift or a 3.5-4" lift minimum. Add to that wheels with a minimum of 4.5" backspacing, proper bumpstops, adjustable trackbars to recenter the axles, a SYE and CV driveshaft out back, and regear both differentials to an appropriate ratio. That's most of it if you want to do it properly and not kill your drivetrain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all, thank you for the input everyone. I swear when I first signed up for this forum I answered all of those questions before. I went back and filled everything in but my gear ratio because my diff is completely muddy :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll need a 2-2.5" lift and a 1" body lift or a 3.5-4" lift minimum. Add to that wheels with a minimum of 4.5" backspacing, proper bumpstops, adjustable trackbars to recenter the axles, a SYE and CV driveshaft out back, and regear both differentials to an appropriate ratio. That's most of it if you want to do it properly and not kill your drivetrain.
Great suggestions. Dont I also need to buy extended brake lines? Is there a particular kit I can buy with this stuff in it or do I search around for all the different components? Im sorry if Im asking redundant/newbie questions but I am relatively new in the Jeep world.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Don't worry about asking questions, if you don't you may miss something. As for extended brake lines I'm not sure. You can always do the lift and then test your "flex" and see if you need them. I know people who have done 4" of lift and not used them and others who have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I plan on lifting my jeep soon to clear 33x12.5x15. I plan on getting either the skyjacker 2.5" suspension lift or a terraflex 2.5 suspension lift and adding 1.5" body lift. Keep in mind that this is definatly not something you want to go cheap on. However, me personally I'm trying to find a good medium between wallet friendly lifts while having everything I need. The skyjacker kit comes with hydro 7000 shocks, shock boots, front and rear extension brackets, transfer case lowering kit, extended bushings, longer cool springs, and front bump stops. All that would only run me about $550. And that would clear a 33" tire. I would have to get some back spacing however

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I ran 32x12.5x15 on my 05 TJ with the 2" springs from BDS. They are a bit stiff and net me closer to 2.5 where i noticed some driveline vibration until they settled.

To properly fit anything bigger you want to do as others suggested: Get to 3" or more total lift which will also require new control arms, SYE+Driveshaft, new track bars, proper bump stops. Regearing can be held off but is highly advisable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.