Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
84881 - 84900 of 84955 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I took mine off-road to test the new t-case. Works fine. I don't think I'll miss 4:1 with the trails I visit these days.
So the Terralow that you never ever had ANY issues with finally bit the dust?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gonna buy a new winch for my YJ. I need to put a winch on the 30' gooseneck.
The Rugged Ridge winch on my YJ has never let me down, but people complain every time they unspool my winch line. It's pretty difficult to pull the line. I never thought anything of it until I pulled line off the wife's Badlands winch. SOOOOO much easier to unspool, and it has a faster line speed as well.
Probably going to buy a Badlands for the YJ... I don't think I could get a US-made winch for anything approaching a reasonable price.
I'll put the Rugged Ridge winch on the trailer.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
So the Terralow that you never ever had ANY issues with finally bit the dust?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gonna buy a new winch for my YJ. I need to put a winch on the 30' gooseneck.
The Rugged Ridge winch on my YJ has never let me down, but people complain every time they unspool my winch line. It's pretty difficult to pull the line. I never thought anything of it until I pulled line off the wife's Badlands winch. SOOOOO much easier to unspool, and it has a faster line speed as well.
Probably going to buy a Badlands for the YJ... I don't think I could get a US-made winch for anything approaching a reasonable price.
I'll put the Rugged Ridge winch on the trailer.
Harbor freight is running a 10% off this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
@Awesome Find a used Warn 👌

You could also probably take apart the Rugged Ridge one, clean it up and regrease it. Should make free spool a bit easier
I should do that with the RR winch, yes. It's never been apart and it's 14 years old.

So would this winch be worth rebuilding? Pretty sure these were US-made.

Or this one that I can't identify? Is it US-made?

There are a bunch of other Warns in rough shape for $500+, but most are out of the range I'm willing to drive. Tons of Badlands winches for more than they sell for brand new. People don't realize they are only $350? Have a lead on a Ramsey that's 3hrs away, waiting for a reply on that one. Old X-Bull some guy is selling for $350.

·
Administrator
21,421 Posts
I've been wanting a 4:1 and there are no rubicon to be had anywhere so prob going to go the doubler route. I need a 241C and a donor 231 for the front and the doubler kit. will end up costing about $950 but should be able to sell my old case for something

I have had all summer to do this but hoping to get started on it this weekend since wheeling season is just weeks away. step one, find the two transfer cases.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
@Awesome I would keep looking. That Warn needs a lot of love for $250. Would need more info on that other one and see how much he wants for just the winch. At least that one looks newish. I think winches are one of those things that if you can wait a little bit, youll eventually find a good deal. I got my old Warn MX6085 for a bottle of grey goose and my 8274 was only 500 in working condition with a bumper, cradle and remote. I also bought a new off marketplace Warn VR8000 for $350 and ended up selling it for $400

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
I've been wanting a 4:1 and there are no rubicon to be had anywhere so prob going to go the doubler route. I need a 241C and a donor 231 for the front and the doubler kit. will end up costing about $950 but should be able to sell my old case for something

I have had all summer to do this but hoping to get started on it this weekend since wheeling season is just weeks away. step one, find the two transfer cases.
Take lots of pics! I wouldnt mind deeper gearing myself

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I've been happy with the smittybilt 9500 I put on my jeep a couple years ago. I did recently clean out the stock grease and replace it. Talk about a nightmare. The grease those are shipped with its so thick and nasty.

At least my winch isn't a pita to free spool any more. I would pay extra the next time I buy a winch to get one that free spools nicely out of the box.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Yeah when I cleaned out the MX6085 it was about 30yrs old at that point and had never been opened before. That stuff was nasty, couldn't believe it still worked as well as it did. I only pulled it apart because I was bored and thought it would be good to do before mounting on the trailer

I can spool out faster than most can walk the trail with my 8274 :cool:

·
Registered
402 Posts
So I did some body work on the Jeep last night.

Apparently one of my lovely coworker decided to pick a nice 1-1/2" wide hole in my fender yesterday in the parking lot at work. Sure wish I knew who it was, I would repay them in especially evil ways.

Took care of it though, looks even better than before, guarenteed to not dent, chip or rust. ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
They picked a large rust bubble. Though it looks like there might be some body filler up there are as well. I'm pretty sure there's more than a skim coat on the right side "rocker panel" (it's not really a rocker panel on a Jeep is it?), must have been in an accident at some point, so some work up there wouldn't surprise me either.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My old winch worked only when it felt like it. Didn't seem to be an issue until my drivers front tire got submerged over the center hub in a hole last week. Everything had been about 2" deep with hard bottoms on this trail until I eased into this one. THUNK! Thank goodness I backed out easily when I put it in 4WD cause I can't winch backwards anyway. Same day this happened, Quadratec put thier Q9000 on sale, plus I had a $100 gift certificate so what better time to order a replacement winch! Spools so much easier now and works when I want it to LOL! I did need to run the cable out after this pic and wind it back up a couple of times to get it like I wanted. I couldn't replace the fairlead because the previous owner welded this one on.

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Typical /f12 Hooligan
6,936 Posts
My old winch worked only when it felt like it. Didn't seem to be an issue until my drivers front tire got submerged over the center hub in a hole last week. Everything had been about 2" deep with hard bottoms on this trail until I eased into this one. THUNK! Thank goodness I backed out easily when I put it in 4WD cause I can't winch backwards anyway. Same day this happened, Quadratec put thier Q9000 on sale, plus I had a $100 gift certificate so what better time to order a replacement winch! Spools so much easier now and works when I want it to LOL! I did need to run the cable out after this pic and wind it back up a couple of times to get it like I wanted. I couldn't replace the fairlead because the previous owner welded this one on.

View attachment 4160323
I had that on my LJ. Great winch. Never had an issue with it.

84881 - 84900 of 84955 Posts