Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
84841 - 84860 of 84955 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I understand fishadventure and i think 2-3 times obout it bevor i drill or cut a original part in good condition and in most cases a have 1or more original spare if i one day decide i want a different or the stock look back. But the best on Jeeps is you can build your "own" Jeep, for your needs, your style.

·
Typical /f12 Hooligan
6,936 Posts
Do you think I should keep this original?
View attachment 4159722
No. I am more of a starting point kind of guy. It's too far gone to worry about having the correct Flat-Tipped factory screw in the correct factory hose clap for this one. The fact we are preserving these things, in any form factor they are preserved, for me, is enough.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
^^^ I was half joking but half serious

I know a guy putting a 4.3 in a ?93? currently running well with a 2.5. I think that needs to go in the CJ5 at this point but that relic is going to be a total rebuild. I don’t think it’s worthy of ‘original’ and my plan “A” was to steal its fenders, grill, hood, and dash and part off the rest. But everybody keeps telling me I should restore it and just sell it.

I don’t think it’s a worthy restoration candidate and it certainly won’t be original.
The fact we are preserving these things, in any form factor they are preserved, for me, is enough
For this condition I agree 100%

So after convincing myself that restoration was too expensive and dubious- dubious at best- Plan “C” is to figure out how to put YJ doors on it (I have the door openings clips from a rustout) and make that my grandson’s 16th birthday present. (He’s 10 now)
I also have a 4.8 sitting here waiting for me longingly in a Sierra total. But no 16yo boy needs 302HP in a 3000# vehicle. Imho

·
Administrator
21,421 Posts
No. I am more of a starting point kind of guy. It's too far gone to worry about having the correct Flat-Tipped factory screw in the correct factory hose clap for this one. The fact we are preserving these things, in any form factor they are preserved, for me, is enough.

I've watched a few of those super nerd restoration shows and they get lost in the lettering on the belts are faced the wrong way from factory or the screw on the hose clamp is supposed to come in from the left instead of the right. who has time for that?

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
I worked in a super nerd Corvette restoration shop. I loved doing that type of work where grease pencil markings, correct bolt head markings and things of that nature mattered. The work was very detail oriented and it showed that we had pride in what we did. We were capable of pulling it off. Parts for vintage Vettes are easy to come by though. There is every piece ever made for the old ones in the reproduction world and actually a lot of original parts that live on. Right down to every last screw.

There is the story of my two Jeeps, the 87 and the 94. I feel almost obligated to keep the 87 original and let history live on. It is too complete to not do so, especially with my skills. I have stockpiled any and all BBDII carbs and all the emission parts I can get my hands on to do so. Those are some of the most challenging parts to keeping it original. It took me a couple of years to find the KDX mirror replacements for the ones that I know for sure came on it. I have the original side steps, I certainly would like to find a better set than I have but am determined to do something to keep them there. I put a winch on it. Not mods that are not undoable to do it. I am going to put my 2 1/2 OME springs on it. I will put the originals in storage though. Also easy to undo. Of course I have speakers that are upgrades, but they fit in the factory locations. No harm done. I have an aftermarket radio head. No cutting done to install it and I do not have an original radio anyways. My soundbar is factory to my knowledge, I cannot find the correct connector to go to the body side, I will replace them with packard weather pack style connectors with no guilty conscience. A minor thing that is not correct but still and improvement. Anyways. I will not drill cut or mod anything other than the hole I already did for a blower motor. You cannot really get a motor that fits the hole size in my 87 anymore, you cannot see the hole, it is under the battery, and it makes the heater work as it should. Sure, I would do a brake booster mod if it ever becomes necessary, you cannot get the originals anymore. I have even looked and looked for replacement diaphrams for them. I would rebuild mine in a heart beat if I ever found the parts.

The 94 is another story. I bought with the body already off the frame and in a zillion pieces. It was a rusty basket case. The frame had been repaired and put back together as a roller with all new parts. The tub was in terrible shape. I began to fab my own repair panels and really did some good work if I say so myself to duplicate in a decent fashion what was original. To maintain the proper shape of floor boards, etc. I even fabricated a floor support that is pretty damn impressive. But, then...... screech. The tub was very rusted, the A and B pillar supports were shot and gone for the first 3 to 4" up from the floor as were the body sides in those areas. The PO had flipped the tub over after it was unbolted from the Jeep. We had to flip it back upright for me to load it up and then I had to lift it off the trailer I brought it home on. It had buckles in it in those areas. I supported, measured, straightened, etc. to try to get it back to square and make the appropriate patches and stuff. Long story short, or is it really short story long at this point? The drivers door opening got really messed up. Probably good enough for a lot of folks but in my mind it would never be airtight and I intend to drive it year around in Michigan. Stuff gets real cold in January if it is not air tight. Since I started the project, Key parts has come out with complete front and rear floor boards, cowl panels, firewalls, rear corners, braces, rear traverse mount, etc. I have all new pieces to build a new tub now. I will not feel guilty if I drill a hole in this sucker any damn where that I want to or make any mod that I want to. I know that I saved this Jeep from the scrap pile. But this one not being on the scrap pile saves the history of what some of them got modded to. It is in the end, one less YJ in the boneyard, but I have no conscience about what I do to it at this point. I will put whatever powertrain, seats, tops, lift, steering, anything on it that I want to and know that I maintained the YJ heritage without destroying a nice one. In fact, I will have made total POS into a nice one, just not original. I guess that I should anticipate somebody cursing me down the road when they see the brand new tub in its completeness and then all the other mods done. Some purist much like myself who thinks I molested a nice Jeep. LOL.

I do not see stock Jeeps as boring. I love bone stock vehicles. Give me a 67 Chevelle down to the red stripe tires. JS.
A bone stocker is a cruiser. A looker. A go for a ride and enjoy the day and of course some light trails through the woods in Northern and Western Michigan. I avoid mud in that sucker though. I mean a little mud, ok. But to bog it through some swamp that I never get cleaned off the bottom. No way. Never. My 87 is a perfect mid life crisis cruiser. Just having it so stock and original and getting so many looks while enjoying a pretty nice ride that can have a top or no top is cool. The wife and I love our Jeep rides.

I do get though that owning a Jeep has its testosterone things about what it should and can do. That is where the 94 comes in. Having a second one around though to go through or over anything your heart desires makes having a boring one not be a setback..

Moral of the story..... Own more than one YJ. That gives life the perfect balance.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Need an after-market HD steering upgrade solution for my son's SUA YJ. I do not have an issue drilling out the axle ears etc; however, would like a plug and play solution - no fab. Please link your ideas.

Thanks,

Luuca

Looks like this could be a nice bolt on kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Was thinking about this one:

That requires fab work which you said you were avoiding. If you want to cut and weld I’ve had no issues with their heim setups on both my front axles, I’d assume no different with this kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

I was going to link the jrc kit that I've seen guys use in the past, but it looks like a more expensive version of the ruffstuff kit you linked. As long as you have the reamer to open up the knuckles it's cake.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts

That was probably the one I was referring to.
You’ll want more than a 120V welder imho. 1/4 wall onto ~5/8 solid for a steering application I’d want to see a pretty aggressive puddle.

·
Typical /f12 Hooligan
6,936 Posts
That was probably the one I was referring to.
You’ll want more than a 120V welder imho. 1/4 wall onto ~5/8 solid for a steering application I’d want to see a pretty aggressive puddle.
After looking at what was out there and considering ease of repair on the road and availability of parts (Tie rod ends vs Heims) I pulled the trigger on this kit.

Tom will weld it up. 7/8" drill bit and tapered sleeves. I'm planning on going OTK with it. Just means more delays in finishing the Jeep, but at least it will be solid when done.

we will see...

84841 - 84860 of 84955 Posts