Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
84481 - 84500 of 84911 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Good lord. The wife got me addicted to watching Downton Abbey. I actually know how that word is pronounced by an English bloke. I am not proud. Js.

Wait a minute, maybe I am proud. I spend a lot of quality time with my girl which leads to more quality time if you know what I mean. ;)

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,636 Posts
I spend a lot of quality time with my girl which leads to more quality time if you know what I mean. ;)
Funny.

The more quality time I spend ON my jeep, leads to less quality time with my jeep ....if you know what I mean 🤔

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
I forgot to mention.... if you like that show, try Upstairs Downstairs. It's far more entertaining but it's the same type of show.
I will certainly look into that. In all honesty, when the recent Downton abbey movie was released, I was down with making the first Friday or Saturday night at our local theater a dinner and date night. I really got into the series once I started watching it. I really enjoyed the movie. I fell in love or in hate with many of the characters on that show. It was well done from beginning to end. You know that my Jeep is named Daisy. You now know how we pronounce her name from time to time because of Downton abbey. Right?

It was recommended to us to watch Poldark if we liked Downton Abbey. We were warned that the first two or three episodes were hard to bear and boring but once it got going it was worth it. All in all it was a very different series and not really compatible content wise but just someone who said that you guys like really good shows. Poldark was amazing at times, a let down at times but all in all, not a waste of time by any means. Check it out.

·
Typical /f12 Hooligan
6,926 Posts
I can't even remember the last time I went wheeling. :(

I still have the Terralow 4:1 kit sitting in my shop waiting to be installed.
And a Comanche to finish.
sounds so familiar....

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
Actually I was too flippant on that. You need anchor points in the ground or concrete floor and you place fulcrums or the jack where you need to bend up or down; the chains anchor it; the jack stands or bottle jack introduces the power where you need it. That’s how you can bias a stock car, too, without winding up being too low or too high at tech inspection, or being over camber spec. At the hobby stock level you can make a car want to turn left while going straight, maintaining toe, and still pass tech.

I would likely try a jeep myself if I had four or six anchor points in a concrete floor. You actually only need one but you have to keep repositioning. When I build a shop I’m putting six cross-bar boxes into the floor pour :)

Having said that it doesn’t take too many hours at a frame shop to straighten a frame; paying someone their fee is often not that expensive and usually it comes out as good as- sometimes better than- OEM. There’s a local shop (he doesn’t advertise- body shops know he’s there) that has untweaked stuff I’m aware of from $400-$1200 at ~$150/hour. He does a lot of unibody totals believe it or not.

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
@fishadventure Thats why I was thinking about strapping it down to the trailer at several points to anchor it. I could also hook up the WJ or 3500 to the trailer to make sure it doesnt move either. If you look at the pics, the front of the frame is bent a couple inches to the driver side, not up and down which probably would be easier to fix as you described with a bottle jack and chains.

A co worker just had his garage floor epoxied and filled in 12 anchors the previous owner had installed in the floor 🤦‍♂️

Oh yeah and I only paid $400 for this thing so its not getting any special (expensive) treatments :LOL:

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
I would not do what you’re doing with a vehicle or a trailer- you will bend stuff but not what you wanted. Static Object Syndrome - there is a cure

I have bent totaled trailers back into shape. I unbent a 14” twist on a car hauler by placing blocks under the frame in key locations and cribbing pads just so. Using a big fork truck to set a small fork truck on planks on the trailer deck we got it straight. 3500# won’t do it but it might bend the trailer.

Don’t use 3500# winches to do a 15-ton job. That’s like getting a run on a chain trying to ‘snap’ a stuck rig- not safe, creates damage, isn’t that effective. Slow power (winch) is for that; careful, huge, and slow power is for bending frames

if that were not true, then we would bend the frame on our jeeps every time we used to 9000 pound or 8500 pound winch, right?

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
@fishadventure I dont own a winch that small lol I was referring to my Dodge Ram 3500 tow pig. And yes, I have seen people bend their frame from winching while stuck. I actually bent the frame of a f350 with my old Warn 6k winch trying to pull him out of the mud. I have a 8274 on the big YJ now and with a snatch block I could get close to 15k. Is a winch not huge and slow power?

With all that said, I will agree that I would more than likely end up bending things that I wasnt planning on bending lol probably should find a better anchor solution

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
front of the frame is bent a couple inches to the driver side, not up and down
You can apply pressure sideways with a chain, jack, and fulcrum; an I-beam and solid blocks can spread the pressure on one side while a small 1/2” steel pad will focus bending pressure without collapsing the frame.

a 15K lbs winch will probably not be near 15Klbs until the last foot. Solid blocks, a 20k jack, and shaped steel ‘shims’ are likely to create the power you need without destroying vehicles or a trailer- or impaling you with a tow hook.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I have anchors in my shop floor (3 of them - previous owner filled 1) because the guy that built my property did frames. He owns the local wrecker/auto body shop.

I also built a frame-straightener device that the auto shop teacher has used a couple of times. It's a piece of 1" steel (a beam would work better) with a strong tie-down loop on one end. You set the bottle jack on one end of the plate, and use a chain through the tie-down to the frame of the vehicle. Good for single-point straightening. He used it to straighten the frame horns on a 1970's F250 that had been rammed into a pole. BUT... those old truck frames are significantly weaker than our YJ frames.

·
Send It!
1989 Jeep YJ Wrangler
2,245 Posts
Not today. More like a couple months ago but finally got around to painting and installing my cowl armor and front bumper from Motobilt.

And picked up a new tow pig, for those Moab and Ouray trips twice a year.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,636 Posts
Not today. More like a couple months ago but finally got around to painting and installing my cowl armor and front bumper from Motobilt.

And picked up a new tow pig, for those Moab and Ouray trips twice a year.

Beautiful. All of it. Glad to hear and see everything seems to be okay with ya. 👍

That's a stout front bumper.

84481 - 84500 of 84911 Posts