Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
83821 - 83840 of 84143 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
I agree. It is nearly free swap and it will make your Jeep more capable.

Reactions: Towny72

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Thoughts on a low buck limited slip in the D35?

Got a lead on a OEM LS set up from my friend that owns a garage, he got a customer vehicle in Jeep XJ that has it in the rear and likely the thing is leaving his shop for a trip to the scrappers. If thats the case he said I can pull the rear carrier.

Since my wife and I increased the worlds population this year the jeep budget was cut to basically $0 so I am keeping that D35 for a while longer. But for basically the cost of diff fluid, a new clutch pack, and some time (free) I could get a limited slip in the rear to help out with the front being the D30 with a locker... Or do you think Ill blow it up? Running 33*10.5s and I am not a hard wheeler, more of a good line, light throttle type.
Is the XJ axle the same width and everything? Keep the shafts if they are so if you break one you have a spare.

Also, congrats on the little one.

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
After years of tearing off flares and smashing my fenders, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of CCFabs hoodline tube fenders! I cannot wait as I have a few other projects that will happen at the same time. The most noticeable change will be that Im 99% sure Ill be ditching the snorkel. I am completely over mud and even avoid it whenever possible so its really only there because "thats my jeep" look. This will free up some room to move things around and tidy up in the engine bay so I can mount a 1 gallon air tank I already have for the OBA.

I also ordered new orings and bolt on valve stems for my beadlocks. One has a slow leak and burps air when I hit a hard obstacle so Im hoping one of these fixes that issue

And I ordered the vulcanizing compound and tools needed to repair the tire that I got a gash in the sidewall last season. Fingers crossed it works out well and Ill be able to ditch my old dry rotted, not matching spare for this basically new matching tire

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Since my new transfer case adapter clocks the transfer case completely flat, it made sense to modify my transfer case skid to no longer dip down under the frame rail. This will gain me around an inch of clearance under he skid. I cut off the old steel skid and mounted a new 1/4" aluminum one.

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,739 Posts
Thats a good idea, an AL main plate. I've got a large flat 1/4" steel one on my custom skid too, which makes it weigh a ton. Mine is fabbed similar to yours, with a main bar to hold the trans. The main bottom on mine can swing down for access or be removed if needed and still drive around, with just trans mount the bar part there.

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
thats the case he said I can pull the rear carrier.
Take the whole axle. Welding brackets is cheaper than a carrier swap. PLUS if it kablooms fixing it is as easy as putting in the old one.

oh wait!! an XJ is the same width, right?
ya, my head is not with it I guess
Then there’s gear ratio…

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,739 Posts
Who here has used the borgenson steering shaft? To damper or not to damper? Does it depend on what your Jeep came with or just what you want?
I got a stock lower steering shaft when I needed one. I figured it's just the input to power steering, so not a lot of force and wear.

·
Registered
1994 YJ
4 Posts
I took off the front track bar and the sway bar…

the whole sway bar setup. It was only connected to the frame on one side.

Also had my 17yo spend some time behind the wheel. He is getting more comfortable with the 5 speed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm working on a new center console. I got one out of a 70s Blazer and sanded it and painted it black. The way it mounts needs to be modified. And before it goes in, I'm mounting an inverter into it, and adding exterior 110 outlets to the back of it and USB ports in-between the cup holders and a light inside it that comes on when I open it. And the whole thing will be essentially waterproof from rain, probably not for being submerged though. Also planning a dual battery tray and a snorkel.

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
I got a stock lower steering shaft when I needed one. I figured it's just the input to power steering, so not a lot of force and wear.
Except when you burn up a ps pump in the big boy rocks and have to turn 40s manually. Lots of force. Lots of wear.

Remember, this isn’t a street Jeep which is why I’m asking about a heavy duty unit, not a stock replacement.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I went out to start the Jeep this morning to let it warm up before I drive it to work. I put it in neutral, heard a crack and something go flying. WTF?

Apparently 33 year old rubber doesn't like 6ºF temps. Shift boot now has a really big hole in it. :(

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
I think I finally got it mounted for good. Just have to find some time to spool on the new 125' cable and mount the in cab control switch. I love/hate how much real estate this beast takes up.🤤

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
I think I finally got it mounted for good. Just have to find some time to spool on the new 125' cable and mount the in cab control switch. I love/hate how much real estate this beast takes up.
I got my 8274 back from my dad and one of my upcoming projects is dropping it between the frame rails. I think I’m going to meld the metalcloak bumper and the 8274 mount together some how

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
I got my 8274 back from my dad and one of my upcoming projects is dropping it between the frame rails. I think I’m going to meld the metalcloak bumper and the 8274 mount together some how

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome! Cant wait to see your progress with it. Its crazy how much you can do to one of these. I already upgraded the brake retainer and clutch handle. Eventually Ill upgrade to the new motor and albrite contactor but these work for now. I had thought about sinking it into the frame rails as well but I dont think Ill benefit enough to justify the extra work. The 4banger really doesnt generate much heat. I just melded the 8274 cradle my buddy made to my old harbor freight winch plate and called it a day

·
Registered
343 Posts
Weeeee! Getting in it to drive home I noticed my tail pipe was very low. What now? Clamp came off somewhere, sometime. So when I got home I got to lay in the snow and put a new one on! Swell.

Next time I have the welder out I"ll have to remember to make a few tacks so it won't happen again. I won't.

83821 - 83840 of 84143 Posts