Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
93781 - 93786 of 93786 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Those look good, but with most aftermarket diff covers you are still only supposed to fill to the factory level. They usually aren’t actually much bigger. Most lockers fit just fine behind a factory differential cover. Overfilling will likely result in a leaky wheel seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
While I would love a drain plug on diff covers that is the one of the things that keep me from buying them.
At least with the ARB's you have the dipstick.
I figured if I bought them would put the proper amount in according to the specs and mark the dip stick.
While I know it it probably a waste of time I check my diff level with every oil change.
I open it up, give a squirt, let the excess dribble out, and cap it off.
With some aftermarket covers cause of what you said, no dipstick like the ARB, you can't do that and never really know where you are at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those look good, but with most aftermarket diff covers you are still only supposed to fill to the factory level. They usually aren’t actually much bigger. Most lockers fit just fine behind a factory differential cover. Overfilling will likely result in a leaky wheel seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for your comment Red.
This is a very big, very heavy solid steel cover. With this cover if you only add the amount of fluid in the OEM specs I don't think it will even reach the bottom of the very long dipstick. I might have gone a little overboard but after holding up the standard cover next to the new one I think the current fluid levels are less than an inch higher than stock.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cut off another mounting plate for the old rock sliders and started working on the new ones. Got the front all ready to weld the stiffeners on but have been waiting on my friend to help me weld. I really need to learn how to weld.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
Its been a little while but i finally finished the front stiffeners. Hoping to finish the center and the rock sliders this weekend.
I had to get longer bolts for the top of the track bar bracket. I cut my own piece of metal to put the bolts through. I made it bigger than the stock one to increase the surface area. I had to cut the track bar bracket on the bottom so that the bolts could line up with the nut on the frame. One of the welded nuts on the frame was stripped and came off. I bought a new bolt and nut but still need to weld the nut to the frame. I will be putting a bead on the top and bottom of the bracket just to make sure that it doesn't come off in the future. I like having the piece of mind.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My bumper came with 3/16" tie in plates. The frame stiffeners i bought were the same thickness so it allowed me to just remove the plates and weld in the stiffeners. The stock bumper only has 3 bolts, 2 little nut clips and one nut welded on the inside of the frame. The bumper used 4 bolts, so i added some plate to the stiffeners to accommodate the 4th bolt. I really like how it turned out. I was able to use 3 larger diameter bolts and the one stock size bolt, making the bumper even stronger in the process.
I always see people cutting off their frame stiffeners so that it doesn't interfere with the bumper brackets. I think they are really missing out on a lot of added strength. Some day i would like to plate the inside of the frame rail on the driver side to ensure that the steering box never rips the jeep apart.
All of the bolts lined up with no issues and installing the bumper was easier than it was in the past!

Reactions: RedJeepster1
93781 - 93786 of 93786 Posts