Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
93721 - 93740 of 93756 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I have 35's and 4.10's right now. I got 4.10's in my 8.8 so i just matched the front. I would like deeper gears but i don't want to go too low because the pinion on the dana 30 will be pretty tiny. I am thinking 4.56. With 4.56 or lower you have to grind 2 teeth on the ring gear to get the cross pin in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I regeared my Jeep to 4.56 4 years ago now and have been running 35’s the whole time. If I did it again, I’d run 4.88’s no question about it. I just did axles for an MJ and we did 4.88’s on that to run 35’s. Power feels better for sure. And it isn’t too much RPM on the highway. As for the tiny pinion, most of the time it won’t be the failure point regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: un4gvn1

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I’ve never seen this thread quiet this long…

Guess I’ll throw something in here. Green Jeep has stiffeners, floor pans, d the rear axle is now locked and regeared to 4.56.

Started doing the SYE and then found a broken pump in the t case. Unfortunately haven’t been taking many pictures.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Finished plumbing and bleeding brakes tonight for the rear 8.8. Also hung some new front doors since the old ones were rusted out. Slowly coming together.

Reactions: Pinoy59

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Maintenance on the blue XJ. Rear axle got wheel bearings, seals, and new brakes. Front of the Jeep got new upper control arms. Oil change. Adjusted the drivers door. New swaybar links. Greased everything and checked the alignment. Should keep it happy for another 6 months or so. This one is the wife’s daily.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Jeep saw some dirt and rocks!
Pitman arm decided it wanted to come loose but was better after about 200 ft-lbs of torque. It shouldn't be coming loose again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did an oil change, replaced air filter. Instead of a simple job I accidentally broke the oil pressure sensor. Not sure how, I didn't have enough light to really see.
Easy enough fix, but certainly more than I wanted to spend for a oil change.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Lengthened my control arms by 1/2" to help clear my new 35's. Should help keep the tire out of the quarter panel and its not enough of a stretch to worry about anything else causing problems. Had to get a new flex joint because the old one had a lot of play. I need to get one more for the other side, and also rebuild kits for the upper control arms.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well...I wrecked it a few weeks ago. Lost control on a patch of ice and ended up in a ditch. I'm fine, just cut up my hand and hurt my pride a bit.

The radiator survived, and I was able to find a header panel, grille, lights, airbox, fan, hood hinges, and washer bottle at my local u-pull. I pulled the inner fender structure back into place with a couple ratchet straps and a few whacks with a sledge.

The brush guard is a homemade special from a previous owner, and it was cobbled together with some of the ugliest welds I've seen. Now that it's bent, I have a good excuse to cut it apart and reweld with some reinforcements.

There were plenty of other little things, but nothing fought me too hard. The hood and driver's fender have some dents/creases, but this is my beater so I have to draw the line somewhere. The last pic is as it sits right now.

Once it's warm enough to paint, I'll spray the header panel/any exposed metal with some duplicolor color matched paint and I'll call it good.

Definitely not happy about the whole thing, but I'm glad no one got hurt. The Jeep lives on to hit the trails up north this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Bummer that it happened but good on you for keeping it alive.

Reactions: secretnarwhal

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Sand blasted one of my spare intake manifolds in preparation of replacing all 4 O2 sensors and the intake/exhaust manifold gasket. Also going to sand blast my spare set of cast exhaust manifolds. Aluma blast and exhaust coating should be here this week. Probably swap out the fuel injectors for a set of 4 hole injectors a while it’s apart as well.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I know that I am the first person to point out if there are not pictures did it really happen.
So you are going to have to believe me.
Or not.
LOL.
Been having vibrations at normal highway speeds. Seems to come and go and might be dependent on the condition of the pavement.
Can't really call it a death wobble though.
But awhile back did hit some bumps on the highway doing about 60 MPH and got what I am going to refer to as a "baby death wobble".
Seemed to feel it was just the driver's side front when it did happen though.
Finally hooked up with my buddy, old boss at the Napa, and we threw it up on his lift.
Well everything checked out the best we can tell on the front end.
He was impressed at how tight everything was for 172K.
Tires seemed OK, no spun bands, and balanced. Driveshafts look good. U Joints, including front axles, looked good.
Steering box seemed fine. Wasn't loose like the spacer had busted or bolt or 2 had snapped.
We did forget to check the steering shaft in the engine compartment though.
He felt a weird resistance trying to hold back the driver's side front tire while the Jeep was running, idling, and they were spinning in 4 wheel drive.
So he started thinking brakes. Which of the zillion things that could be going on there had occurred to me too.
We pulled off the calipers, welded up the notches in the steering knuckles, regreased everything, and threw it back together.
Been meaning to deal with those notches for sometime now so glad that finally got done.
He said the calipers looked fine. We were able to press the pistons in without a problem.
Still a fair amount of meat on the pads and considering I replaced those and the rotors about 25K ago guess I can't complain.
But he is thinking I should buy new pads and rotors anyway.
So took it for a spin on the highway and the vibration was still there.
But I had to drive at about 85 to 90 MPH to feel it.
But it did not feel as bad as when it would happen at lower speeds so......
While not a Jeep guy he knows his stuff and thinking he might be right.
So I figure drive the Jeep for awhile see what happens but will probably end up buying new rotors and pads.
Thinking go for the ceramic coated rotors we sell with the good Adaptive One disc pads.
Did notice that my backing plates on the front were pretty rusted.
But my buddy was pretty amazed at how clean everything else was underneath.
We further discussed getting those Up Country leaf springs and the new shackles on.
Showed him the cavities both front and rear where that nut is welded to the inside of the uni-body that we can't get at.
Explained to him how they used the red Loctite from the factory there and lot of times they bust loose.
His response was "Yeah I own a blow torch. We'll get "em" off."
LOL.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Finished up the intake and exhaust. They came out pretty nice. Started ripping the Silver XJ apart yesterday.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Also rolled the Blue MJ out of the garage yesterday. Customer is going on vacation for a couple weeks and I want the space to work on some of my own stuff. Started to flex it out but my engine hoist wasn’t very happy. Next time I’ll lift from a rear tire where’s less weight. But happy to see the rear suspension working. Dropped 2 overloads out of these leaf packs and cut about 20” off the frame. New crossmember is welded on and tied in. I can already tell it’s gonna be very flexy back here.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Changed out the crank sensor on the silver Jeep. Also replaced all 4 O2 sensors and the intake gasket. New fuel injectors. Threw a code this morning on its 3rd drive since the work. I’m guessing vacuum leak. Gonna pull my hair out figuring that one out.

Green one got a full coolant flush, new radiator, and new coolant yesterday. Also over the last couple weeks it had a backyard engine rebuild. Valve grind, valve seals, timing chain, resealed, new injectors, and a good cleaning. At least it doesn’t leave a puddle everywhere it parks now.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Lined them all up and got a photo. Blue one at the end is leaving me today. Sad day when you sell a Jeep. Fortunately another is coming in to take its place.

Reactions: Pinoy59
93721 - 93740 of 93756 Posts