Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
93661 - 93680 of 93786 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I changed oil and cleaned the IAC. She was idling rather bad and would try to stall out if I was sitting at a stoplight and then tried to hit the gas. No codes. So I cleaned the IAC and have not had that problem since...Not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China, but there it is.. Still standing by.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was planning to drive it to Chicago last weekend, so of course I decided I should take things apart right before leaving. What could go wrong? Ended up snapping off a bolt while replacing sway bar bushings. I welded nuts to it multiple times but it never broke free, so the night before leaving I was drilling and tapping the hole. Got the sway bar back together the next morning and decided I still wanted to replace my slightly warped rotors before going. As soon as I pulled the drivers side caliper off, one brake pad fell out in 3 pieces, so I'm glad I decided to do the brakes! Made a quick trip to the store for new pads and only got to Chicago an hour later than intended.

The XJ did great and rolled over 260k on the way home.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Got the fender flares off, might be painting this thing next weekend

And got tired of waiting on Summit racing, so Oreillys hooked me up with a front pipe and tailpipe. As well as a front pipe for my gals Orvis ZJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Brought home another one. Crustiest one yet. And with the cleanest interior. Only 88k miles.

91 short bed HO 4.0 auto 4x4. Only bought it for the interior and the driveline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: DavidFillman

·
Registered
544 Posts
Brought home another one. Crustiest one yet. And with the cleanest interior. Only 88k miles.

91 short bed HO 4.0 auto 4x4. Only bought it for the interior and the driveline.

Does the MJ have a driveline or just a driveshaft?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Does the MJ have a driveline or just a driveshaft?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Although it came onto the trailer in pieces, it is a complete truck. It was driven to the spot I pulled it from. There's nothing missing. Not a single crack in the dash. Every trim piece is there. And most is in great shape. But the rust got the better of the chassis. I'll likely scrap the axles as well. The brackets are mostly rusted off.

Engine is still free. Put a bar on it. Plan is to take the whole drivetrain minus the axles and swap them into my 89 eliminator. I want to get rid of the renix setup and I absolutely love the red interior. The rest I'll either box up and keep, sell, or scrap.

First to go will be the Leer cap that was on the truck. Won't work with the factory rollbar on my eliminator. I tossed it in my truck and clammed it down backwards just to get it home safely.

Reactions: DavidFillman

·
Registered
65 Posts
The storms from a couple months ago dropped a few dead firewood trees on my property. The first one (Ash) was an easy drag for my 96 XJ. The second one (Red Oak) required winching uphill for close to 100 yards.

Many years ago I snapped one of the 10,000# rated tow hooks so I grabbed a 125,000# rated lifting hook from a CNC lathe that I had just installed. I bolted the hook to a 2" square solid drawbar because I do not ever want a snatch block flying past my head at Mach 1.5 again. I attached my XJ to a big Beech tree with a 20,000# rated sling and the cruel hook.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Got it back from the shop. I swapped in some 4 port fuel injectors as soon as I got home. Most the clips in the connectors were brittle and broke so I'll put replacing them on the low priority to do list.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Got it back from the shop. I swapped in some 4 port fuel injectors as soon as I got home. Most the clips in the connectors were brittle and broke so I'll put replacing them on the low priority to do list.

The red clips in the fuel injector connectors on the engine bay wiring harness?
Personally I would not even worry about them.
Pretty sure at least a couple are busted on mine from when I upgraded.
8 years ago.
I always thought half of the stuff is for manufacturing.
So things don't get disconnected when a Jeep is going down the line.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The red clips in the fuel injector connectors on the engine bay wiring harness?

Personally I would not even worry about them.

Pretty sure at least a couple are busted on mine from when I upgraded.

8 years ago.

I always thought half of the stuff is for manufacturing.

So things don't get disconnected when a Jeep is going down the line.
The plugs are getting pretty brittle themselves which concerns me more.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Factory cruise control. Didn't expect to find that under the hood. Also sold the short bed cap already. Threw a jump pack in this old girl and she spun right over. Even all the dash lights and the radio work!

Reactions: un4gvn1

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since we circulate around the US and land back home on Big Pine Key once a year we do maintenance. Rotated the tires mainly to get them off and check the brakes. Yep, the rears are down to an eighth. Wanted to check the rear springs and see what I need to replace them so did measurements on the bolts ect. so I could order. Saw grunge on the rear diff and stuck in a finger that came out dry! Tossed in a pint of 90wt and added resealing it to the list. Glad I saw that. Now I have to decide whether to replace the rear leafs and then order a bunch of parts for brakes and probably springs. Add a ton of Deep Creep if I have to do the springs! Man I hate drum brake jobs!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Am I the only one to ever have issues getting the radio antenna figured out on the fender and front clip swap?
No thread has ever mentioned it but my mj has different connectors than 97+. Looks like I gotta replace the radio cable behind the dash to match the exterior half, or cut and connect the new style end so I can use the correct base.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Am I the only one to ever have issues getting the radio antenna figured out on the fender and front clip swap?
No thread has ever mentioned it but my mj has different connectors than 97+. Looks like I gotta replace the radio cable behind the dash to match the exterior half, or cut and connect the new style end so I can use the correct base.

Can you just remove the threaded piece from the fender and attach it to the new one?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Nothing disconnects from the older style base as far as I can tell, on the newer style base you can unplug a part off the bottom, as shown on the right in this pic. That’s not the case for the old style.

Not sure what to do, don’t really want to add the newer style dash wire. And it’s rg62 wire so it’s not a quick trip to hardware store and crimp some adapters on.

·
Registered
521 Posts

These are the two different connectors in the kick panel area where they connect to the dash cable. Old on left, new on right. Here's what the dash cable end looks like, has a hole in the middle

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
You can’t install the older antenna into the newer fender though? Keep all the old antenna parts with the Jeep, and install the old hardware in the new fender.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The gray cylinder part of the old antenna doesn't work with the rounder base from the new style. There's also a bracket built into the old fenders that isn't there on new fenders.

I can't figure out what the old style connection plug is called.

Old style base looks like this on new fender

93661 - 93680 of 93786 Posts