Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
93241 - 93260 of 93802 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I actually had it backwards TC was pointed at the driver side a little, I ended up pulling the trans mount due to broken bolt it looks a little shot.
Will have a new one here tomorrow and see if I can get it back in straight then recheck all my angles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I actually had it backwards TC was pointed at the driver side a little, I ended up pulling the trans mount due to broken bolt it looks a little shot.

Will have a new one here tomorrow and see if I can get it back in straight then recheck all my angles.
Those mounts do tend to go bad. The t case should be close to centered. Depending on what year your Jeep is, the crossmember can be installed backwards. It would be pretty noticeable though. The misalignment vertically should be far more substantial than any misalignment horizontally. A small misalignment side to side I wouldn't expect to do much harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
539 Posts
Those mounts do tend to go bad. The t case should be close to centered. Depending on what year your Jeep is, the crossmember can be installed backwards. It would be pretty noticeable though. The misalignment vertically should be far more substantial than any misalignment horizontally. A small misalignment side to side I wouldn't expect to do much harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The PO must not have messed with the crossmember because it is on the right way, I did loosen both the motor mounts also and it looks more aligned than before but won't know till I get the trans mount in it looks like there is some play in that mount so I should be able to get it close at least.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I ended up replacing the trans and motor mounts and I am going to try shims because what ever I do to the crossmember to get the angle right just makes the vibes worse I even had vibes just putting it into gear so took out the drop blocks took new measurements and I am ordering shims.

If that doesn't work then maybe some dynamite.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Stiffener project turned lift

I found a site that explained how to measure everything but no info on what shim * I would need to buy to fix the issue TC is 5.5* drive shaft is 17* and pinion is 9* that puts my TC to DS at 12* and DS to pinion at 8*.

So the question is do I need 3.5-4* shims or am I missing something?

·
-N7PBJ
1,375 Posts
I found a site that explained how to measure everything but no info on what shim * I would need to buy to fix the issue TC is 5.5* drive shaft is 17* and pinion is 9* that puts my TC to DS at 12* and DS to pinion at 8*.

So the question is do I need 3.5-4* shims or am I missing something?
I wonder if the shop put a angle shim on the axle... They are sometimes needed, sometimes not. Look at where your leaf springs are bolted to the axle, is there a wedge shaped shim? If so, maybe it's wrong-way 'round, with the big end pointed the wrong way. This would throw things way out of whack. If there isn't an angle shim, a little head-scratching and measuring should let you calculate how many degrees of shim will correct your pinion angle. They make 'em in a variety of angles, so do your homework before you buy. If your u-bolts are new, you can probably get away without having to replace them when you install the shim.

If you can, snap a pic of your axle/spring intersection.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I wonder if the shop put a angle shim on the axle... They are sometimes needed, sometimes not. Look at where your leaf springs are bolted to the axle, is there a wedge shaped shim? If so, maybe it's wrong-way 'round, with the big end pointed the wrong way. This would throw things way out of whack. If there isn't an angle shim, a little head-scratching and measuring should let you calculate how many degrees of shim will correct your pinion angle. They make 'em in a variety of angles, so do your homework before you buy. If your u-bolts are new, you can probably get away without having to replace them when you install the shim.

If you can, snap a pic of your axle/spring intersection.
I just put in the rear leaf's with the rest of the lift kit, there are no shims in right now and yes the U-bolts are new.

I have only been able to drive it about a mile (test drives).

TC is 5* driveline is 17* rear pinion is 9* guessing I need a 4* shims.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hit a nice number the other night....then got pulled over. Cop said I had no license plate light and no rear passenger parking light. He checked my info and let me go with a verbal warning.

I finally got around to checking them this afternoon. License plate bulb was just a bad bulb, quick change and that was fixed.

Parking light wasn't so easy. New bulb put in and still nothing. Checked the fuse and still nothing. Pulled off the panel and found the wire harness with a wire just dangling.

A quick snip, strip, and solder got it all hooked back up and running!

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hit a nice number the other night....then got pulled over. Cop said I had no license plate light and no rear passenger parking light. He checked my info and let me go with a verbal warning.

I finally got around to checking them this afternoon. License plate bulb was just a bad bulb, quick change and that was fixed.

Parking light wasn't so easy. New bulb put in and still nothing. Checked the fuse and still nothing. Pulled off the panel and found the wire harness with a wire just dangling.

A quick snip, strip, and solder got it all hooked back up and running!

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
Maybe that is what is wrong with my passenger brake light. Running light works, just not the brake light.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
908 Posts
Drove it for the 1st time in months, because the WJ I've been using while awaiting a replacement liftgate (long story) expired. Did seem a little strange - but soon got used to being back in it. Still reluctant to use it too much as rear window's shattered & the fragments are only held in place by the glass tint film.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Slipped a wrench while adjusting the steering gearbox so now I have no clue how much I've adjusted it. I really don't feel like pulling the box and resetting everything so I guess I'll tighten it back down 1/8 turn at a time until it drives ok. Whoops

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Merry Christmas to everyone .

We're starting the day with baked french toast with cinnamon and brown sugar for breakfast . MMM , Sooo good .

Sunshine and 70° a bit later today . ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Used it to hide gifts all week and now that Christmas has passed it's back in the garage. Readjusted the steering (I think it's good to go now), did a little diagnostics on the A/C system, and threw in a new valve cover gasket. It's not the original engine and the mileage is unknown, but everything under the valve cover was sludge-free and the engine appears to be clean and healthy.

With the new valve cover gasket on, I should be able to tell if the rear main seal is leaking. I'm crossing my fingers that it was only the valve cover, because the garage isn't even warm enough to melt the snow off the Jeep.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Stiffener project turned lift turned into vibe chasing

So after a week of literally bashing my head into everything under the jeep at one point or another I have eliminated the vibes.

It is ready for the alignment shop, then I can actually drive it after a month of work.:grin2::cheers2::2thumbsup:

Reactions: un4gvn1

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
So I figured I would see how the garage door opener panel comes off and how the switch bezel goes in.
Cause of some tabs on the switch bezel I figure better to do it from the back.
Overhead console can be removed easy enough.
But this is an extra one that I have that I am playing with.
So remove 6 torx and this panel comes right off.

Exposes the garage opener door.

Pops out fairly easy. Is the panel between the open space and the plastic door tool.

And the bezel pops in from the back fairly easy too.

Oh and comes out easy enough. Was a little afraid it might not for when I do this for real. LOL.

Attachments

93241 - 93260 of 93802 Posts