Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

4565824 93810
seriously, one of these threads needs to stay alive in the XJ/MJ section and what better time to get a real one going then now with the creation of the XJ/MJ GD. now, lets keep this going.

for me, all i did today was take pictures of my newly cut front bumper.

picture a few posts down.
Reactions: rickb54
93101 - 93120 of 93811 Posts

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Well my goal of not having to work on my Jeep till Spring lasted about a week.
Couple days ago went to hit the rear wiper and the switch felt funny.
Wiper did not move. Funny though when pushing the switch all the way the wiper and washer would engage.
So I guess technically I did not have to fix it if I did not want too. LOL.
But I I have extra switches up the ying yang and it is only a 5 minute job so.....
Looks melted to me.

You do have to look close.
One of the springs was deformed and a little piece of plastic must have broken off from somewhere.
See what the screwdriver is pointing too.

Attachments

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Weather improving so I threw the charger on mine today. It has a vacuum leak I need to track down still. I’m dreading that. Finally purchased some heat shield material to prevent me from melting any more rear floor mats. Might be taking the Jeep up north on Saturday to cut some new trails on a friends property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Had about an hour between work and going to the firehouse tonight so I went out and put the heat shield on my Jeep and then tore into the one in my garage. Turns out the one in the garage has a bad upper ball joint and a loose sector shaft in the steering box. Then tore into the floor pan and found it a little worse than expected. Oh well. It is an XJ.

Here's the heat shield on my XJ.

And here's the floor pan on the other Jeep. Haven't had time to dig into it but at least I got the seat out without breaking any bolts. Lots of heat and penetrating oil and back and forth on the bolts.

· Registered
241 Posts
FINALLY got all my lug nuts off yesterday so the plan was to get brakes on all four corners done today.

I got the front done no problem other than discovering my passenger u-joint has **** the bed, so new ones for both sides are ordered.

Went to get the passenger drum off and it was stuck (not surprised). Started looking around at everything and noticed the brake line isn't looking all that great. No way I'm getting the wheel cylinder off without cracking the line.
[emoji2959]

Tossed the wheel back on and did the front pad bedding then called it a day

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Loaded it up with saws and pruners to do some trail cutting tomorrow on a friends property in mass. It's been way too long since this Jeep has been in the woods.

· Registered
6,600 Posts
Loaded it up with saws and pruners to do some trail cutting tomorrow on a friends property in mass. It's been way too long since this Jeep has been in the woods.

Hold up bucko. We tried to drag you out of your shell last weekend but no it snowed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Hold up bucko. We tried to drag you out of your shell last weekend but no it snowed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yup. Fortunately this weekend it isn't snowing. And this weekend the Jeep actually runs. I'll make it out wheeling with you guys again, last week just wasn't the week.

· Registered
143 Posts
Scored an excellent set of 2 door doors for 80 bucks for the pair! Just 2 tiny rust bubbles on one door. Before I left I noticed a Comanche in his garage and peaked in and was throughly impressed to see a super clean 4 door Comanche (he put the build over on cherokee forum) and my my it was pretty in person.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

· Registered
577 Posts
Have not done any work on my jeep in awhile because I have been fixing up it's house for winter.

Some done some to go I just have to move everything first and then the heater goes on the drywall.:cheers2:

Attachments

· Registered
241 Posts
And here's the floor pan on the other Jeep. Haven't had time to dig into it but at least I got the seat out without breaking any bolts. Lots of heat and penetrating oil and back and forth on the bolts.

I think I've got one more winter left with both driver & passenger floor pans [emoji1694]

I've had a cracked exhaust manifold since I got her and finally ordered the parts. Going as cheap as I can (eBay & Amazon Warehouse) and I'm all in for $210 (block back w/cat & new hardware).

Every dollar spent on the XJ is a dollar not spent on my Niner and that will be the trail toy.

Sent from my OnePlus 7T using Tapatalk

· Registered
241 Posts
Gave the windows a deep clean inside and out then applied some Rain-X.

Also got the new rear brake lines made since I'll need to cut the old ones at the cylinder.

· Registered
241 Posts
IMO you are going to love OEM brake flaring tool.

I own the Napa Service version one of that.

Used it when I replaced a bunch of my brake line with the Nicopp stuff.

Thing is foolproof.
One of the best single purpose tools I own.

Had to run all new lines for my project Niner and that's when I bought it. As you said, foolproof.

· Registered
3,453 Posts
One of the best single purpose tools I own.
Had to run all new lines for my project Niner and that's when I bought it. As you said, foolproof.
I recommend that brake flaring tool to anybody that owns a XJ.
Only drawback is that it only does the 3/16" line.
While I have no need at the moment to do other size lines I am sorry I just didn't buy this anyway.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER165C

I work there so it would not cost me quite as much.

While I feel that it flares the Nicopp stuff like a dream, cause it is softer, I do still wonder how it would
handle steel line.

What kind of lines have you used it on?

· Registered
67 Posts
Finally found time to do the front wheel bearings and ball joints. Totally transformed how it drives now that the lower ball joints aren't seized up. Drove it around a bit and did one more flush on the transfer case to get rid of the remaining aluminum flakes. I'd say it's ready for winter beater duty now with all the major jobs complete. We'll see if I can get this thing to 300k

93101 - 93120 of 93811 Posts