Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
89961 - 89980 of 93756 Posts

·
GIVE IT THE ONION
6,451 Posts
50 bucks a week ? You must be rich .
Heck , if we do 10 a week , that's a lot . But , we're retired folks and don't have to or want to just drive around , other than travel days . Then , all bets are off . ;)
Hardy just what it cost me to commute to work ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Got the bottom end and freeze plugs buttoned up on the new engine for the lifted blue one. Tomorrow accessories and whatever else I get to. Still aiming for installed by the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
416 Posts
Now would be a great time to add some new motor mounts,,

if you haven't done it already, I wish I had known about brown dog motor mounts when I did my engine swap 7 years ago..

Also I'm curious if you will be attaching the tranny to the motor prior to installation into the engine bay? I wish I had simply because it was a ***** getting the torque converter bolts in after the motor. There is zero clearance near the firewall once that thing goes in....ask me how I know this....LOL..

Got the bottom end and freeze plugs buttoned up on the new engine for the lifted blue one. Tomorrow accessories and whatever else I get to. Still aiming for installed by the weekend.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
if you haven't done it already, I wish I had known about brown dog motor mounts when I did my engine swap 7 years ago..

Also I'm curious if you will be attaching the tranny to the motor prior to installation into the engine bay? I wish I had simply because it was a ***** getting the torque converter bolts in after the motor. There is zero clearance near the firewall once that thing goes in....ask me how I know this....LOL..
Very familiar with them, and not running them. Not saying they aren't good, but these stock ones are still healthy and they will be going back in. I run all stock drive train mounts in all my Jeeps and it really isolates the vibrations and keep them out of the cabin. I'm also on a tight budget right now with my truck, my Jeep, and my girlfriends Jeep all down for the count at the same time. So this is a low buck rebuild, did a lot of inspection and reused a lot of old parts, sealed it up good, and it's going back together mostly as I got it.

I will be attaching the trans to the motor before it goes into the Jeep, hopefully that will be happening tonight. Because of the exhaust setup on this Jeep, it's a pain in the butt to get it all in at once, but still would rather do that than mess with attaching them in the Jeep. It also allows me to run a lot of the cables and wires while the motor and trans are still outside the vehicle.

I think this is the 4th 4.0 I have had out in the last 2 years, maybe 5th, so it should go back together pretty smooth.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Very familiar with them, and not running them. Not saying they aren't good, but these stock ones are still healthy and they will be going back in. I run all stock drive train mounts in all my Jeeps and it really isolates the vibrations and keep them out of the cabin. I'm also on a tight budget right now with my truck, my Jeep, and my girlfriends Jeep all down for the count at the same time. So this is a low buck rebuild, did a lot of inspection and reused a lot of old parts, sealed it up good, and it's going back together mostly as I got it.

I will be attaching the trans to the motor before it goes into the Jeep, hopefully that will be happening tonight. Because of the exhaust setup on this Jeep, it's a pain in the butt to get it all in at once, but still would rather do that than mess with attaching them in the Jeep. It also allows me to run a lot of the cables and wires while the motor and trans are still outside the vehicle.

I think this is the 4th 4.0 I have had out in the last 2 years, maybe 5th, so it should go back together pretty smooth.
So are you saying you don't have my luck lol.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Dropped right in! Motor mounts lined up on the first shot. At least something is going my way.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Dropped right in! Motor mounts lined up on the first shot. At least something is going my way.

All that practice wouldn't have anything to do with it ? LOL

Heck , next time you probably won't even need the hoist . ;)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
All that practice wouldn't have anything to do with it ? LOL

Heck , next time you probably won't even need the hoist . ;)
I think it has more to do with the fact that I left the rubber mounts bolted to the block. Way easier to line the vertical bolts up by dropping them into place than trying to line up the super long horizontal bolts. Apparently I've been doing it wrong for years, but I won't make that mistake again!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Fixed my a/c. Tried to turn it on the other day, nothing. Slow at work today so I figure I'll take a look at it. Static pressure ok, relay working. Power and ground to clutch. Pull the clutch off looks rusty. Cleaned it up , removed the smaller of the 2 shims. Bam a/c is cold. Gonna make life a little more enjoyable. No ac in my shop so it's nice to be able to cool off on the way home. 90° today and 40% humidity so the ac will get its first test on the way home today.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
OK so what I did with my XJ today. Went and picked up this tool box. $100 off of Offer Up. Nothing fancy. Not roller bearing drawers. They slide nice and the box is in decent shape. Also got some tools with it. Everything below the face mask and left of the clamp are Snap On's or Blue Points. Anybody have any idea what the tool is between the speed wrench and punches. Last shot is just more crap that was in the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
OK so what I did with my XJ today. Went and picked up this tool box. $100 off of Offer Up. Nothing fancy. Not roller bearing drawers. They slide nice and the box is in decent shape. Also got some tools with it. Everything below the face mask and left of the clamp are Snap On's or Blue Points. Anybody have any idea what the tool is between the speed wrench and punches. Last shot is just more crap that was in the box.
Looks like house clamp pliers but hard to tell in the pic.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Ralph ,

What do the insides of the jaws look like ?
Here are a couple shots. Also those torque wrenches are nothing like I have ever seen before. The mask it is missing the plastic part at the bottom, just a piece of rubber there, which is where air comes out when you exhale but is over $200 on this site.

http://www.safetycompany.com/respir...MIpp7O7vij2wIVDlqGCh2qBQEwEAQYDSABEgKudfD_BwE
The pliers are for rivets and snaps for leather work.

89961 - 89980 of 93756 Posts