Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
89941 - 89960 of 93783 Posts

·
-N7PBJ
1,375 Posts
there is a link in my signature...
:facepalm:

I gotta stop posting from the computers at work... I straight up didn't see yer signature line at all. It'll be a few days before I can check & see if it was my fault, or an artifact of the net "nanny/filters" the IT dept has installed on the computers at the mill. I've had to do some "interesting" work-arounds to access the forums at all from there.

It's almost like they don't want me screwing around on the interwebs all night... >:)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
So I have had this vibration at about 80 MPH on the highway for awhile. Been meaning to check it out. Thing is I am very rarely on the highway and even more rare doing 80. Thought it might have been a driveline vibration. Ujoints seemed OK so was wondering if it was the driveshaft(s). Well when I rotated my tires it changed the vibration somewhat and now it was happening around 60 MPH. A garage I am in good with was nice enough to check the balance on my tires. They were not right but are now. All is good.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
So I have had this vibration at about 80 MPH on the highway for awhile. Been meaning to check it out. Thing is I am very rarely on the highway and even more rare doing 80. Thought it might have been a driveline vibration. Ujoints seemed OK so was wondering if it was the driveshaft(s). Well when I rotated my tires it changed the vibration somewhat and now it was happening around 60 MPH. A garage I am in good with was nice enough to check the balance on my tires. They were not right but are now. All is good.
So , they just tossed a handful of BBs in each tire , right ?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
So , they just tossed a handful of BBs in each tire , right ?
Off and on I have been researching balance beads. They was a thread on another forum that was getting some play that made me curious about them. My logic for wanting to use them is my buddy has a tire machine. But not a spin balance machine. I can get tires mounted for free cause of that. If balance beads were a good option then it would be one less thing that I would have to rely on somebody else to do. To be frank I don't know if I threw a weight or if the tire shop that I bought these tires from awhile back that mounted and balanced them did a poor job. One was really off. The rest were so so off. The one that was really off was my spare for the first year. Then became my driver's rear. Then driver's front. That and because I am very rarely on then highway and even more rare doing 80 is probably why it took me so long to realize that I had problem. I picked up some 16" Icons awhile back for pretty cheap. Running 15" Eccos now. If I decide to use the Icons probably going to try to research balance beads more cause I might try that if and when I ever put the Icons on.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Off and on I have been researching balance beads. They was a thread on another forum that was getting some play that made me curious about them. My logic for wanting to use them is my buddy has a tire machine. But not a spin balance machine. I can get tires mounted for free cause of that. If balance beads were a good option then it would be one less thing that I would have to rely on somebody else to do. To be frank I don't know if I threw a weight or if the tire shop that I bought these tires from awhile back that mounted and balanced them did a poor job. One was really off. The rest were so so off. The one that was really off was my spare for the first year. Then became my driver's rear. Then driver's front. That and because I am very rarely on then highway and even more rare doing 80 is probably why it took me so long to realize that I had problem. I picked up some 16" Icons awhile back for pretty cheap. Running 15" Eccos now. If I decide to use the Icons probably going to try to research balance beads more cause I might try that if and when I ever put the Icons on.
I just used regular BBs you get about anywhere for cheap .
Here's what they looked like after 20K miles :

Left side are new BBs ... right side are 20K BBs .

The inside of the tire was clean as clean could be , with absolutely no degradation .

The tire those^ came out of rode smooth and wore evenly .

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I just used regular BBs you get about anywhere for cheap .
Here's what they looked like after 20K miles :

Left side are new BBs ... right side are 20K BBs .

The inside of the tire was clean as clean could be , with absolutely no degradation .

The tire those^ came out of rode smooth and wore evenly .
How do you figure out how many BB's to use?

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
It could be that the tire is bad, if the inner cord is failing then they could never get it to balance right. take it back to them and have them re-balance it. you could be in for a blowout in the near future.

I don't think I wold put bebe's in my wheels. never heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
It could be that the tire is bad, if the inner cord is failing then they could never get it to balance right. take it back to them and have them re-balance it. you could be in for a blowout in the near future.

I don't think I wold put bebe's in my wheels. never heard of such a thing.
I guess you haven't been around as many blocks as I have . ;)

You ever hear of Centramatic balancers ? Or Dyna beads ?
Same principle .

Do a little research and become enlightened . :thumbsup:

Reactions: Submariner

·
-N7PBJ
1,375 Posts
I started looking into balance beads when I got the beadlocks on account of most tire shops won't touch 'em. Also, there is no way to install a traditional rim weight on the lockring side of the wheel.

After much research, I settled on ceramic balance beads. I got mine from HD Offroad Engineering, but they don't show on their website now. You might give 'em a call and see if they still have any.

The results have borne out the hype. Being a dynamic balancing system, they even run smooth after a mud run (it's common to bring some home with ya', packed inside the wheel). While I don't run over 70 often, I don't get any noticable balance vibration at any speed.

As always, YMMV >:)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Pulled the engine on the new(ish) blue Jeep yesterday. Gotta pull the head and accessories off this engine and transplant everything to the new block. Bought the Jeep last fall because it wasn't rusted, it was cheap, and it already had a RE 3.5" lift in it, but it has a bad knock. Also had a ton of maintenance done to it which helped sweeten the deal. All new brake lines, u joints, good brakes, etc. Plan is to get everything switched over this week. And then I can put it all back together next weekend and have a Jeep to play with again while I fix the silver one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
50 bucks a week ? You must be rich .
Heck , if we do 10 a week , that's a lot . But , we're retired folks and don't have to or want to just drive around , other than travel days . Then , all bets are off . ;)

·
Registered
13,806 Posts
Gettin' bored with the everyday drag of nothing to fix ? LOL
The opposite actually. Tired of fixing the K5 and used parts are surprisingly hard to find for them. Can't afford a newer full size truck and XJs are one of the few mid size SUVs out there I fit in fairly comfortably without seriously compromising visibility.

Plus there's next to nothing on an XJ I haven't done so **** breaking isn't all that big a deal.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The opposite actually. Tired of fixing the K5 and used parts are surprisingly hard to find for them. Can't afford a newer full size truck and XJs are one of the few mid size SUVs out there I fit in fairly comfortably without seriously compromising visibility.

Plus there's next to nothing on an XJ I haven't done so **** breaking isn't all that big a deal.
If you can't avoid turning a wrench, might as well turn a wrench in something familiar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,932 Posts

I've been impressed with our Country . Mainly stock from what I can tell and we don't push it to the limit much . In the near 40K miles we've had it , the most expensive 'repair' has been a new set of tires . I replaced a u joint , brakes - both F & R , redid the front brake lines and 'some' of the rear , water pump , windshield washer pump ( 0$ repair ) , heater fan motor and switch repair @ no cost . Almost forgot , I replaced the TPS .
All that in about 7 years .
But , it's only got something short of 230k on the clock . So , I figure it's got a ways to go yet .

Anyway , if they aren't thrashed too hard , they hold up pretty good . ;)

89941 - 89960 of 93783 Posts