Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
89921 - 89940 of 93756 Posts

·
-N7PBJ
1,375 Posts
Build thread post 271

A few electrical items that have been updated of late.

First, I lost my low beams a while ago, had a pretty good idea what the problem was, sure enough...
View attachment 3724562

The Chinese went cheap on the fuse holders. Both of these fuses are still "good" in the fact that they aren't open across the protection section. You can probe 'em and still have power on both sides. One of 'em had simply deformed enough to lose contact with the power "out" to my low beam relay. All I've done so far is replace the fuses, but I need to source some better quality fuse holders and change 'em out or they will just do this again, probably at the worst possible moment.

Not the Jeep, but the tow pig got some new backup lighting.
48 Watt flush pods

View attachment 3724578
View attachment 3724586

The pattern.
View attachment 3724594

I considered using the factory backup light circuit to fire a relay to power these, but decided a toggle was a better option as they can function as work lights that way. I suspect they'll come in handy for trailer loading at night.

Also, I may have figured out my cruise control behavior. Those who have been following along may recall the cruise had developed the habit of dropping out anytime the park or headlights were on.

This has been bothering me ever since this started. It just wasn't making any sense, as these circuits really don't have much in common.

Well, turns out an 1157 tail/brake bulb that I changed recently wasn't grounding properly through the socket, or so it seems. This morning I pulled the left tail light housing and swung the 1156 & 1157 sockets around the side of the rig so I could see 'em while working the brake pedal. It was difficult to see, but it looked to me like the tail filament was powering up when I hit the brake pedal. Tried the park lights and only the 1156 lit up. Tried brake and tail together, they alternated, like my front park lights do when the turn signal is active.

This got me thinking the park circuit must be feeding through the brake filament looking for a ground. So, pulled the bulb, wiped most of the dielectric grease out of the socket and installed a different bulb.

The correct filaments seem to be working at the correct times now, and the park and brake lights can both be on together.

I suspect the park circuit "grounding" through the brake circuit was probably the cause of the cruise control issue, as the brake light circuit is one of the things that cause a cruise to drop out. The proof will be in the drive home tonight.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Gee , all I did was move to a new mouse for my laptop .
Sorry , not even close to Jeep related , other than now I can 'cruise' this forum much easier . ;)
Our Country continues to serve us without issue .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Would like to see pictures of the hole project and the final outcome and what problems you incountered
Definitely will post more as I have the time to finish them and add armor. So far the hardest part is matching the lights to the body lines, just takes a bit of time.

That said, with mine too I intentionally hugged them in a little from the body, as my body armor is going to extend to meet with the light housing and will cover the gap.

Designed them to be similar to the JCR ones, but unlike theirs that fit with their bumper, mine will extend all the way down to the cut and fold, and incorporate an additional circular light. Then I'm going to run the body armor to tie in like JCR does, but also put a 1/4" plate on the bottom of my cut and fold that will tie together from unibody to armor.

Making the second housing this week, I'll post more on the whole process and add it into my thread as well. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/jeepagon-v2-westfalia-expo-build-4233866/#/topics/4233866

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Tires and rims detailed. Tires rotated, I have 5 matching so the spare goes into the rotation, and pressure checked. Finally got around to Fluid Filming the washer pumps I did awhile back. Forgot to do it when I did them. Also Fluid Filmed all the bushings, leafs, front coils to hopefully keep the squeaking at bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I mounted my Kargo Master roof rack today. I had to modify the mounting brackets a little but it worked out nice and kept it as low as possible. I did a 3.5 inch RE lift last week and ended up closer to 5 inches overall. After the lift I needed to install one upper adjustable ball joint on the right side to get the alignment in spec. I also went with a adjustable track bar. I put the JCR side rails and front winch bumper on. Waiting for the SYE kit to come in for a project later this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Hey Y'all-Engine is shot in my XJ. Any advice on a reman? Jasper is a bit out of my range right now, & I heard Titans aren't that great. I'm in NEPA. Thanks
I'd just surf craigslist for another engine. My girlfriends 4.0 gave up the ghost last week and I found another engine in a running Jeep for $100. Got to test drive it and then the guy helped me pull it out. Currently on the stand in my garage getting torn down so I can do a thorough once over before it goes into her Jeep.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Also, I guess no one looks at my build thread, so I'll let yall know that the silver Jeep rolled this weekend.... Gonna be off the road for a while but she will be back. Just a shame it got it's first real dent on the road and not the trail. Wheeled it for 3 days straight down in PA last weekend without a single issue and this weekend it met the asphalt on the main road... Fortunately no one was hurt and it will be fixed.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Just can't have an extra 5 minutes without something requiring 10 . LOL

Good you didn't have to spend that 5 minutes in any hospital .

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have put a couple of ATK rebuilt engines in my DOdge Dakotas over the last few years. I have been very happy with them and no issues. They come with a 3 year warranty. They have several options for the 4.0 engine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So hopefully today going to grab a driver control module from the junkyard I hid in one of the cars as I didn't have enough money for it before and put it in the jeep before the FD meeting so passenger windows work. Starting to rain alil to so funnnnn. Worst case scenario go drive it with the door panel off. Be funny if it has the same fault.

·
-N7PBJ
1,375 Posts
Also, I guess no one looks at my build thread, so I'll let yall know that the silver Jeep rolled this weekend.... Gonna be off the road for a while but she will be back. Just a shame it got it's first real dent on the road and not the trail. Wheeled it for 3 days straight down in PA last weekend without a single issue and this weekend it met the asphalt on the main road... Fortunately no one was hurt and it will be fixed.
Maybe include a link to same in your signature? I had to dig a little to find it...

RedJepster's build thread >:)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Question about a pitman arm. Took my XJ to a shop to get it aligned, said they couldn’t do it because the track bar was bad, and the pitman arm was loose. I figured the track bar was ready to be replaced, and am in the process of doing that now. Broke the axle side bolt, and having a booger of a time finding a 10.9. Not even the Rule Company here in Tulsa has one; guess I’ll have to go to the dealership and fork over a gold brick for a bolt and nut.
Anyways, before all this started, the steering was a little bit sloppy, but not too bad. The track bar did pop sometimes when turning, and I could feel a very slight hesitation from the wheel to when I actually began to turn, so that corresponds to the pitman arm being loose. Haven’t actually tried to move the pitman or tighten up that bolt (saw some videos, and it looks like more than I have time for, as I’m leaving to go camping on Friday).
My question is, and I’m sure it will be answered when I get off work and am able to look at it thoroughly, can I leave the pitman arm as it is, and come back to it another day, or is it dangerous? Don’t have any bumpsteer currently, and everything that I’ve felt so far has been attributed to the track bar.

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,818 Posts
there is a link in my signature...
You mean that thing that says Build Thread? Glad to see your GF is ok.

Well this wasn't exactly in the plans this weekend, but it is what it is. Girlfriend was driving, only one in the car. She walked away totally fine, just a little sore for a couple days after. Got some other stuff to do before I dig into the Jeep, but it will get fixed. After they rolled it back over I drove it home. Mechanically it's fine, but it is definitely going to need some work.

89921 - 89940 of 93756 Posts