Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well...I wrecked it a few weeks ago. Lost control on a patch of ice and ended up in a ditch. I'm fine, just cut up my hand and hurt my pride a bit.

The radiator survived, and I was able to find a header panel, grille, lights, airbox, fan, hood hinges, and washer bottle at my local u-pull. I pulled the inner fender structure back into place with a couple ratchet straps and a few whacks with a sledge.

The brush guard is a homemade special from a previous owner, and it was cobbled together with some of the ugliest welds I've seen. Now that it's bent, I have a good excuse to cut it apart and reweld with some reinforcements.

There were plenty of other little things, but nothing fought me too hard. The hood and driver's fender have some dents/creases, but this is my beater so I have to draw the line somewhere. The last pic is as it sits right now.

Once it's warm enough to paint, I'll spray the header panel/any exposed metal with some duplicolor color matched paint and I'll call it good.

Definitely not happy about the whole thing, but I'm glad no one got hurt. The Jeep lives on to hit the trails up north this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did this a couple months ago now, but close enough. Last summer I had some overheating issues in stop and go traffic when it was above 90 and I had the A/C running, even after I installed a new radiator toward the end of summer (the original unit started leaking profusely). I also replaced the water pump over the winter when the seal let loose, so this isn't entirely scientific, but I'd heard some people on the forum here report pretty significant reductions in intake temp with a cowl snorkel and I figured that couldn't hurt.

I bought a Spectre intake duct and a couple flanges and sealed off the front of the airbox with a 3D printed plug (overkill, but fun) and some epoxy, and went ahead and threw the hole saw at the firewall. It touches the hood, but doesn't prevent it from closing and it fits around the clutch master cylinder. I haven't noticed any change in intake noise, which is what I wanted. I haven't gotten the water temp above an indicated 210 at any point during the hottest parts of this summer, and I'm counting the higher intake location as a bonus.

Also, I know some people are afraid of placing the intake on the side of the cowl that is not covered, but I've sprayed the garden hose directly into the cowl aimed toward the intake and it's been fine. Still, I did leave a couple drain holes at the bottom of the airbox just in case.

Wood Automotive tire Bumper Road surface Asphalt
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Yellow Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Hood Gas

21 - 23 of 23 Posts