Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

4577105 Views 93831 Replies 2569 Participants Last post by  RedJeepster1
seriously, one of these threads needs to stay alive in the XJ/MJ section and what better time to get a real one going then now with the creation of the XJ/MJ GD. now, lets keep this going.

for me, all i did today was take pictures of my newly cut front bumper.

picture a few posts down.
Reactions: rickb54
40001 - 40020 of 93832 Posts

· Registered
3,210 Posts
Figured out i'm averaging 14 mpg while driving normal, after i get a cat and tune it up i'm thinking maybe 17 is possible?
I had my 4.0 with a few bolt on mods runnin at 16 mpg on 33s..Im interested in seeing what i will get now that i have a 4.6...Theoretically i should be able to pull the same number off since it has been "opened" up to breathe a little better, better intake, exhaust, tuneable. etc

· Registered
2,933 Posts
02 Honda cbr 600 needs a little work, do you know of any bikes with a decent price tag on on it? Guy canceled on me tonight I'm meeting him this weekend to see it
You might check Craigslist for your area . There should be a lot of bikes for sale at fairly reasonable prices . It's 'that' time of year . :)

I generally use http://www.searchtempest.com/ and get pretty good results .

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Building my adjustable map sensor so i can finally tune this 4.6L in :banana:
Nice.
I'd like to see a schematic and how you do it - I may want to make one.

I been want/ needing to make a little junction/ breaker box under passenger dash - for power to inverter, Amp, Door lock repair (with relays).

Having trouble comming up with decent box, and more so, efficient way to hook up Automotive breakers in a small junction box.

That's why your box and wireing caught my eye.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Joshharris98xj said:
02 Honda cbr 600 needs a little work, do you know of any bikes with a decent price tag on on it? Guy canceled on me tonight I'm meeting him this weekend to see it
I'll sell you my 14 for 6K. I know I'm cutting my throat at that price but about to sing papers on a house. So I'll get another one in spring maybe.

· Registered
3,210 Posts
Nice.
I'd like to see a schematic and how you do it - I may want to make one.

I been want/ needing to make a little junction/ breaker box under passenger dash - for power to inverter, Amp, Door lock repair (with relays).

Having trouble comming up with decent box, and more so, efficient way to hook up Automotive breakers in a small junction box.

That's why your box and wireing caught my eye.
I got it via jeep strokers forum. Dino aka Cheromaniac is a great dude. Knows his stuff about electronics.

· Registered
2,682 Posts
Not anyone selling off the top of my head. but be careful larger, more serious bikes, they can be a handful if you're just learning how to ride on the street, and more expensive to fix when (its going to happen) you do lay it down. its usually recommended to start with a 250, Honda and Kawasaki both make some nice ones, they're cheap to buy and hold their value well, then sell and upgrade to a larger one once the 250 is mastered.

You might check Craigslist for your area . There should be a lot of bikes for sale at fairly reasonable prices . It's 'that' time of year . :)

I generally use http://www.searchtempest.com/ and get pretty good results .
CL is pretty barren around here right now, lost of large cruisers and a few liter bikes and busas, and some overly customized ugly GSXRs. I got my Ninja 250R off CL of 1000$ with gear last year, 2006, 390 miles, garage kept, needed carb cleaning and valve adjustment, now its running great and getting 60-70mpg.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
chriskeenan said:
Not anyone selling off the top of my head. but be careful larger, more serious bikes, they can be a handful if you're just learning how to ride on the street, and more expensive to fix when (its going to happen) you do lay it down. its usually recommended to start with a 250, Honda and Kawasaki both make some nice ones, they're cheap to buy and hold their value well, then sell and upgrade to a larger one once the 250 is mastered.

CL is pretty barren around here right now, lost of large cruisers and a few liter bikes and busas, and some overly customized ugly GSXRs. I got my Ninja 250R off CL of 1000$ with gear last year, 2006, 390 miles, garage kept, needed carb cleaning and valve adjustment, now its running great and getting 60-70mpg.
I have to agree!! After working as a bike tec. For 5 years I've seen first hand to many times what happens when noobs push the limits out side their skill. The smaller bikes are more forgiving!! The big bores (600's and up) ARE NOT FORGIVING!!!! One tiny mistake on them. You lose!! Start small. Just some advice from an experienced bike tec., Racer and enthusiast.

· Registered
1,365 Posts
BlueBadger said:
I have to agree!! After working as a bike tec. For 5 years I've seen first hand to many times what happens when noobs push the limits out side their skill. The smaller bikes are more forgiving!! The big bores (600's and up) ARE NOT FORGIVING!!!! One tiny mistake on them. You lose!! Start small. Just some advice from an experienced bike tec., Racer and enthusiast.
My first bike was the 03 cbr 954rr fireblade. I never had an issue, took the class so i could ride legaly. Most ppl i see on bikes mess around and eventually wreck or get tickets...maybe I'm a reasonable driver i guess lol

· Registered
2,682 Posts
What's a fast bike that's reasonable?
define "reasonable"

There are people who think 1300cc busas and the ZX14's are reasonable for DD use. My 250 will outrun 95% of the cars on the road up to about 70mph, top speed (with me on it) is an indicated 98mph :shhh:, 60mph happens in just under 6 seconds, to me its perfectly reasonable for DD use. Yes I do want something bigger like a FZ6R or SV-650, but for running around town the 250 is plenty, and in some ways i like it better than the larger bikes i ridden, its just more fun on the street, you don't have to hold back like on a larger bike, grabbing a fistful of throttle doesn't spin up the rear tire or pull the front 3ft in the air.

If you respect the monster you're riding on anything can be reasonable, but most bikes in the sport and super/hypersport class have capabilities "at the limit" far exceeding what most riders can control or have a use for outside of a track.

· Registered
6,600 Posts
define "reasonable"

There are people who think 1300cc busas and the ZX14's are reasonable for DD use. My 250 will outrun 95% of the cars on the road up to about 70mph, top speed (with me on it) is an indicated 98mph :shhh:, 60mph happens in just under 6 seconds, to me its perfectly reasonable for DD use. Yes I do want something bigger like a FZ6R or SV-650, but for running around town the 250 is plenty, and in some ways i like it better than the larger bikes i ridden, its just more fun on the street, you don't have to hold back like on a larger bike, grabbing a fistful of throttle doesn't spin up the rear tire or pull the front 3ft in the air.

If you respect the monster you're riding on anything can be reasonable, but most bikes in the sport and super/hypersport class have capabilities "at the limit" far exceeding what most riders can control or have a use for outside of a track.
By reasonable I want to get up to 80-85 pretty good and have enough balls to get me to school and work fast, I dont need a ton of speed. I want good on gas good on insurance and good on speed but It doesnt have to be insane!

· Registered
2,682 Posts
Luke95 said:
By reasonable I want to get up to 80-85 pretty good and have enough balls to get me to school and work fast, I dont need a ton of speed. I want good on gas good on insurance and good on speed but It doesnt have to be insane!
So pretty much anything 600cc or less. GSXR600, CBR600, R6, FZ6R, GS500(F), DRZ400, look around, there are hundreds of options form manufacturers all over the world.

But as stated before, start small, then work up to a larger bike.

40001 - 40020 of 93832 Posts