Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

4578156 Views 93834 Replies 2569 Participants Last post by  Devil15
seriously, one of these threads needs to stay alive in the XJ/MJ section and what better time to get a real one going then now with the creation of the XJ/MJ GD. now, lets keep this going.

for me, all i did today was take pictures of my newly cut front bumper.

picture a few posts down.
Reactions: rickb54
1 - 20 of 515 Posts

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
finished welding my floor back together...

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
4 linked it!

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
THIS is just dead sexy. how much did that cost? Is it a kit or did you just fab it all up yourself? Want to do mine for me too after I pick up another D44/9" combo to upgrade to?
thanks. I built it myself, i spent around $600 i think in materials, including the 8.8 and SYE.

lol, sure thing

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
They are better. They're much more water resistant, they have no wearing parts, and they are WAYY less complicated than a distributor with 7 wires. They are the opposite of a pain in the ***.
until one of the coils fail...

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
nope. ive never considered it and dont think i will. id rather build the motor in other aspects and get the same hp and tq with stock bore and stroke...just proves i know what im doing around a motor
not going to happen.

you'll never get the same HP/TQ as a properly built stroker setup

building a stroker the RIGHT way takes a fair amount of experience and knowledge

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
cleaned it up a little

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
bldeagle10 said:
dislike the motor, dislike the interior, dislike what I feel is major influence from mercedes benz, dislike how they seem more plush than offroad, hate how you cant do a gear change without it throwing the tranny into "Safe Mode" and screwing you over unless you decide to fork over the extra cash that everyone loves spending while doing a gear change to buy an AEV controller because this is the ONLY way to get it out of "Safe Mode" dealership will turn you away cause they can't do anything... It's a Jeep JK (Just Kidding)...

today saw 327,000 miles exactly, splash of petrol, picked up a potential spare front DS
Motor makes more power and better mpg's than the 4.0 ever had. Sure, the interior is nice and not made of super cheap plastic like the xj. They handle better, ride smoother, everything Is more beefy and stronger than the xj ever came with. They are much more capable out of the box.

And the regear problem is only for the 2012 automatics, I've regeared standard 2012s without problems. And the programmers WILL come down in price.

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
Back_In_Black said:
dear god, I get banned for 3 days, and joshharris wants a chop top, and to run doorless. man.....bro do you even know how much money and knowledge thats going to take?!?

painted my ford 9'' pics up tomorrow. ordering teraflex disc brakes to replace the drums.
Lol, you were banned?

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
I saw 3.17 today. I'm going to fill up in the morning for wheeling this weekend

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
today, i just parked it on my bosses CJ.

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
Watched the puddle of diff fluid under it get larger

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
imthehink said:
There is nothing wrong with hack and taps, I have never seen a negative issue with one. The only difference between a SYE and H&T is the price. Function over form IMO
If you have a later model 231 with the sealed output shaft, then sure get a hackntap. But if you have the older style where the fluid comes out whenever you pull the driveshaft then you might as well get a full sye. Because after you buy the hack n tap and the new seal plate then you've spent just as much as you would have if you bought a full sye. And some say the new mainshaft of the sye is stronger. And the finished product just looks more complete than the Hnt

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
replacing the ECM with one from a 5-speed XJ, and replacing the TCM with a stand alone unit, like this one http://www.latentsolutions.com/suprastickuv.html,

Its designed for a supra but the Toyota A340 used in the supras (and many other Toyotas) is the same as the jeep AW4 :rtft:

And as far as I can google no one has tried to or thought of fitting one to a Jeep AW4.:trophy1:
a manual controller for the aw4?

its been done quite a few times, and i think there is even a handful of writeups on this forum

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
chriskeenan said:
yes, I've seen them, i've even built one, they all trip the CEL and throw codes on OBD2 (97+) vehicles, even when using resistors to put a dummy loads the solenoid drivers, and the stock TCM goes into a limp mode is you mess with it to much, requiring a vehicle restart to reset to normal operation.

Using the 5-speed ECM will take care of the CEL when the stock TCM is removed, the SSv4 replaces the stock TCM and give us all the cool manual shifting options and still retains the auto shifting function. Plus you can custom program your auto shift tables, and have two different auto shift tables if you'd like, for example one for normal driving, and one for offroad that maybe holds first gear longer and doesn't try to downshift from second so soon.
Ok then.

Report back with how well it works. Sounds like a cool setup

Ill just stick with my ax15 for manual shifting ...lol

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
david92xj said:
Actually ive got a 14 inch body lift in the garage going on this weekend so it'll be 17 inches and 31s
*jealous *

· #WannaBeRockBouncer
2,312 Posts
Finished a valve job. Only had three nuts and two small bolts left over this time. I'll find a home for them tomorrow.
as in re-grinding the valves and seats?

you did this in your home? you have a valve grinder?

1 - 20 of 515 Posts