Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Replaced my hood with a ripped off latch and some dents with a new one.

I'll be able to go over 40mph now!

Also going to toss on a new belt to hopefully get rid of an intermittent squeal.

When the PO had to pry the door open to get in once and the door is now bent and doesn't seal completely...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pulled the throttle body to clean it and the IAC up. Then pulled the fuel rail and injectors to clean them up and put in new filters + o-rings. Going to toss on a new belt tomorrow if the weather stays nice.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fixed this cracked mess. Only one that was too far gone to fix was one of the wires for power mirrors, I'll live with that.
Also threw on new panel clips.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ordered rotors/pads/drums/shoes for the beater. Think that's about all the money I'm putting into her other than fluids for a while.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I got 17 lug nuts off and replaced. Need to figure out the final 3 before I do the brakes next week. Replaced the old capped lugs with solid 1-piece ones. New studs are also on the way.

Also, before and after of the washer fluid pumps. Nice to be able to spritz the windows again.

And yes, I needed all the leverage of that 5ft breaker bar.

Reactions: superj

·
Registered
241 Posts
FINALLY got all my lug nuts off yesterday so the plan was to get brakes on all four corners done today.

I got the front done no problem other than discovering my passenger u-joint has **** the bed, so new ones for both sides are ordered.

Went to get the passenger drum off and it was stuck (not surprised). Started looking around at everything and noticed the brake line isn't looking all that great. No way I'm getting the wheel cylinder off without cracking the line.

Tossed the wheel back on and did the front pad bedding then called it a day

·
Registered
241 Posts
And here's the floor pan on the other Jeep. Haven't had time to dig into it but at least I got the seat out without breaking any bolts. Lots of heat and penetrating oil and back and forth on the bolts.

I think I've got one more winter left with both driver & passenger floor pans

I've had a cracked exhaust manifold since I got her and finally ordered the parts. Going as cheap as I can (eBay & Amazon Warehouse) and I'm all in for $210 (block back w/cat & new hardware).

Every dollar spent on the XJ is a dollar not spent on my Niner and that will be the trail toy.

Sent from my OnePlus 7T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Gave the windows a deep clean inside and out then applied some Rain-X.

Also got the new rear brake lines made since I'll need to cut the old ones at the cylinder.

·
Registered
241 Posts
IMO you are going to love OEM brake flaring tool.

I own the Napa Service version one of that.

Used it when I replaced a bunch of my brake line with the Nicopp stuff.

Thing is foolproof.
One of the best single purpose tools I own.

Had to run all new lines for my project Niner and that's when I bought it. As you said, foolproof.

·
Registered
241 Posts
What kind of lines have you used it on?
Just NiCu.

Took way too long to do this job today.

A solid hour to get the driver side wheel off. Beating it with a 5lb sledge didn't work. 20lb sledge didn't work. Kicking the living **** out of it didn't work. Loosening the lugs and driving in figure 8s didn't work. What finally worked was loosening the lugs and driving up and then off the back end of a 6" stack of patio pavers to crash the weight on that corner.

Then another 45 minutes to get the drums off. There was so much lip I wouldn't doubt they had only been changed once in the 355k miles on the clock.

Then nearly two hours to get the wheel cylinders off since 3 of 4 bolts rounded off with just the weight of the ratchet. Had to make a trip to get a carbide tip grinder for the Dremel. Lots of awkward angles and slow carving to get them gone.

Old hard lines came off no problem and the new ones went right on. Couple minutes to get the springs all figured out and she was back together in 30 minutes.

Dinner break, bled the lines, and took a drive to bed them in.

Getting axle u-joints and full block back exhaust next week if the weather is dry.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just a little bit of a crack in the exhaust manifold all brand new parts going on...tomorrow because it started raining as soon as I got it all apart. The joys of working in the street.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Motor mounts replaced. Driver side + new mount and then the passenger side.

New exhaust manifold and front pipe in. Getting the cat, muffler, and rear pipe fitted after a lunch break.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Motor mounts replaced. Driver side + new mount and then the passenger side.

New exhaust manifold and front pipe in. Getting the cat, muffler, and rear pipe fitted after a lunch break.

Intake went on very smooth.

Cat and muffler went on smooth.

Connection to the rear pipe was annoying because everything else is 2½" but it is 2¼". Nothing an adapter couldn't fix.

Starting it up after it was all back together did not go smooth at all. Was just getting a single click from the starter and then all electrical power would cut out for 30 seconds. 45 minutes of fiddling and testing to figure out it was just a loose connection at the positive battery terminal wires. Cleaned it up, tightened it down, and all was good.

I can actually hear myself think when I start it and when I get on it to pass people

·
Registered
241 Posts
Really! With that Cherybomb (or whatever)? :surprise:

Max. respect for all that work in a Chicago street - in November!
It's actually pretty tame surprisingly, but then again I was driving it with that huge crack and a gutted cat. My hearing might be damaged

Yesterday was 40 and sunny for most of the daylight hours. Extra layer on and I was plenty warm.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Did the passenger side bearing, u-joint and dust shield yesterday. Disassembly went smooth until the u-joint caps all popped apart. Then I got the K Suspension headlight harness hooked up.

Tackled the driver side today and had no issues at all.

Took the liner out and blew out the washer lines so I now get fluid through them

Then found an OEM header panel for $50 to replace my cracked one Just need to clean off that dried on 3M tape.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had that happen to me on a brand new set of chromoly axles. Just one cap but it was a mess...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I spent 3 hours getting the cap's out yesterday

Today it only took 2 hours start to finish

·
Registered
241 Posts
Got the 'new' header panel installed along with some Silvana Xtravision. These bulbs along with the K Suspension harness make a HUGE difference.

Don't have pictures, but installed some 6½ speakers in the rear and ordered new 5¼ for the front. Also ordered a new radio to replace the stock one.

Then picked up everything pictured for $100.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like the blue, does it come in green.

Is that 355,450 on the original motor? If so I hope I can get mine that far before a rebuild.
Just need to get green LEDs - size T5 / 74
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GCDT8BL/

Not 100% on the miles since only 500 are mine (got it last spring), but I don't have a reason to think otherwise.

Green in the wife's ZJ.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Between yesterday and today I put on my 'new' leaf springs. Grabbed them from Facebook marketplace for $50, kid said they only have 1 year ~2000 miles on them. Came with 'new' shackles too!

Driver side yesterday was uneventful other than needed to get a new bolt for the centering pin.

Passenger side today was a pain. Both from and rear bolts hand to be broken free using my breaker bar + jack. Then my lower shock stud snapped.

I just chopped it off and drilled out a new ⅝" hole and bolted it together.

I didn't get a before measurement other than 4 fingers between the tire and fender. I can now get 7 fingers between the tire and fender.

Enough 'lift' that I need to re-aim my headlights.

p.s. Don't worry about the shock bushing, I have new shocks ready to go on. I just know the top mount bolts will snap and I don't want that project right now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts