Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I went with IRO 3.5" leafs and really like them. They ride nice and flex very well. With my new shock setup, I am getting about 12" of travel at the shock, which is mounted to the top of the U bolt plates. So literally 12" of flex at the spring. They aren't cheap but they are so so much better than my fiance's RE 3.5" leafs.
You must be running small tires to get 12" of flex out of a 3.5" spring. I only have 10" of travel in my shocks for 4.5".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
What do you consider a small tire? I'm on 35's. And idk if that's the best representation because I never actually lifted a tire, but it's close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Maybe you have some extended shackles or something but a 3.5" spring cant flex up or down 12", especially with a 35. Maybe 6" up and 6" down for a total of 12". Is that what you mean?
I have 5" of lift and 33's with 10" of shock travel and don't hit the end of my shocks....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes, I mean 12" of total travel. I am running 14" travel shocks in the back of the Jeep and I have about 1.5" of travel left when fully compressed, and 1/2" left when fully drooped.

Also, I do have extended shackles and my origonal shackle boxes have been cut out and replaced. Measuring from the axle to the frame, I am about 5" over stock front and rear.
Ok, I thought you meant your tire travel was 12". The shocks are at an angle so they travel further than the tire. The leaf spring will only droop so much, and with a 35, it will only compress so much. I don't even have bump stops in the rear..... it's a little hard to believe but I will try to believe you. :)
I have rough country springs so maybe the are drooping a little. I also don't have shackle relocation boxes which help with up travel. But for me, up travel is not the problem. I rub my fenders before I stop flexing. So as for up travel, I should flex more than you. As for down travel it should be about the same. So I don't understand how you are flexing 2" more than me. Anyway, not trying to contentious, just trying to figure out how you are flexing so much more than me..... I want more flex. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Did you look at the picture I posted of the trunk of the Jeep? My shocks are straight up and down. Those two towers with the tube running between them in the truck area are my shock towers. I have 12" at the shock which means I actually have more than 12" of travel at the tire. Also, a lot of your travel comes from a good shackle angle.
Mine are at an angle so that means I am getting less than the ten inches. I want a little more lift so I can fit 35's but seeing how I rub with 33's I am worried..... I have cut pretty much as much as I can. I have hammered seams in the wheel wells and still rub. I recently got Currie Johnny joints in my upper control arms and they flex so much more than a clevite bushing. I didn't rub before but I do now!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I also recommend shackle relocation brackets. They definitely help out with flex a ton and make the jeep ride so much better. Im at 5.5" on 35s with 4.5 rustys springs. Flexes decent for a short arm lift I would say.
Yeah I will get them soon enough. I just don't think what he is saying is physically possible. I could be wrong though. I will have to measure my wheel gap at ride height and at full droop to confirm.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Added C gussets while doing my ball joints. Artec c gussets and synergy ball joints. Finishes off my dana 30 with artec truss with Johnny joints, chromoly shafts, lock right locker, 4.10 gears, LCA skids, one ton steering, Solid diff cover, and Bilstein shocks.

All back together

Not sure why my pictures got turned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
Do it and get better tires. I ran those on 2 TJs.
I have really liked the mud claws. They have good traction and haven't chunked almost at all. I wish they had more lugs on the sidewall but i have only punctured one in 5 years.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I need to look into a new exhaust myself. My stock muffler has seen better days at 21 years old now.
Mine had an encounter with a rock...

Not sure why tapatalk flipped it up side down.

·
Registered
550 Posts
got a big shiny box o goodies...

out with the old....the really old... ewww...

and in with the new!

i didn't quite finish... but just a few very minor things to button up tomorrow.

and i did it almost solo. my husband only bailed me out on a couple of very stubborn bolts ^_^
Looks kind of like mine!

Reactions: katzklaw

·
Registered
550 Posts
didn't they tell you? that's the new style... it's all the rage with the lowriders, and it's the predecessor to the flying car (as seen in Back to the Future!) :laugh2:

nice! <3 yours is shinier than mine tho
And mine will never rust! Lol

·
Registered
550 Posts
Nice!

Today I finished off the few little things I missed yesterday, and discovered that I put it back together with WAAAAAAAAY too much toe out.

Ehhh, I'll fix it tomorrow. :-/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
When i did my steering i took a measurement of the stock steering before i took it off. I set the new steering to that but for some reason it was way off. So i just gave myself the poor man's alignment and its much better now. I don't see many highway miles on my jeep so i am going to call it good. I can't get too precise anyways since there is only a flat spot on either side to clear the track bar bolt. A half a turn is as close as i can get. I gave myself 1/16" toe in.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've aligned my Jeeps for 15 years that way and it's every bit as accurate as a $75 alignment shop does. I run new 35" tires on most of my Jeeps, so alignment is crucial. I'm poor too.
Just sell your Jeep and you will have nothing to spend your money on! Lol

·
Registered
550 Posts
I bought an alternator because the volt regulator went out and the meter is pegged. Also bought an O2 sensor because when my exhaust fell off the hanger it ripped out the downstream sensor. And bought some new battery cables from Jeep cables because mine are really bad! Lots of work to do before a run coming up next month.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Took a look at the floor pans (er lack there of) and got the new ones ordered. Rock auto ftw $215.22 shipped to my door.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I am excited to see what it will look like when its done.

·
Registered
550 Posts
So am I, they're supposed to be here friday but with me working weekend midnights andy welder buddy working at the same plant just different shifts it's gonna be kind of hard to get our schedules lined up

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
That is always my problem, finding a welder to help me finish my project!
This was my last project that needed welding.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts