Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
26621 - 26640 of 26690 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another Jeep Day at the Beach

I have not been here for a while, but there is some great stuff! I've just been enjoying the beach, and recently saw a twin with the Bestop freedom top replacement. That might be my next move. I am looking for an old 2 door unlimited to start playing with.

1. DLW6 - The idea of rattle can bed liner on the bumper is great!.
2. The metallic paint of the trim looks killer, That's going to happen on mine soon.
3. MCMike37 - The radio replacement and windshield bolts UGH, you guys are better than I. That is stuff for the old CJ, not the JLU. I am afraid to take the JLU apart with all the computers.

I remember in one of the Jeep forums people were posting when the parked by another Jeep.

I went surfing again, but this time got out of the water to find my pale twin right in front of me. Time to start working on making this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love a happy ending. Getting to the ending, I don't always love. For example, I got the tires rotated on Saturday, and they broke a stud on the right rear hub. They paid to replace it, which I got done today. The lug nut survived, though it wouldn't matter since I have extras.

I can't take credit for the bed liner idea, I got it from calisk8er1080.

I have a bolt-on roof cargo rack being delivered (only 4 days late) this afternoon. I'll try to remember to take pictures during assembly and mounting.

Edit: Oh, and I replaced two of the winch mounting bolts, since the old ones were somewhat stripped.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have not been here for a while, but there is some great stuff! I've just been enjoying the beach, and recently saw a twin with the Bestop freedom top replacement. That might be my next move. I am looking for an old 2 door unlimited to start playing with.

1. DLW6 - The idea of rattle can bed liner on the bumper is great!.
2. The metallic paint of the trim looks killer, That's going to happen on mine soon.
3. MCMike37 - The radio replacement and windshield bolts UGH, you guys are better than I. That is stuff for the old CJ, not the JLU. I am afraid to take the JLU apart with all the computers.

I remember in one of the Jeep forums people were posting when the parked by another Jeep.

I went surfing again, but this time got out of the water to find my pale twin right in front of me. Time to start working on making this one.
That's a good lookin rig my dude... but you might be on the wrong board :wink2:

I love a happy ending. Getting to the ending, I don't always love. For example, I got the tires rotated on Saturday, and they broke a stud on the right rear hub. They paid to replace it, which I got done today. The lug nut survived, though it wouldn't matter since I have extras.
I think I have a snapped stud on the same wheel... nut still screws on and tightens though, so I won't bother to replace it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
So I rewired the power and ground for the roof lights. I then spent the rest of the evening focusing on the windshield brackets. First up was grinding away the gouges from my cutoff wheel. I decided to ignore just about every finishing practice in the book, and just attacked it with a flap disk until the cut marks were gone. Then I feathered it out so it wouldn't be as noticeable that I took away a bunch of metal after its painted. The proper thing to do would have been to put some weld in there, then grind that down flat with the base metal. But I'm kind of tired of this part of the project, and the material is thicker than my college girlfriend was (I'm not a chubby chaser, but she put out, who would I have been to turn that down?) so there's still plenty of metal left where I ground away.

For some reason the paint on the driver's side was in terrible shape, so I took almost all of it down to bare metal or primer, but the passenger's side was in surprisingly good shape, so I just took the paint off where it was flaking away, then feathered it out as best I could. I also decided to beef up the hole to fold down my whip antenna that I installed when I bought said whip. It started with my just finding an excuse to weld something, but looking back at the pictures, it was in pretty sorry shape, so I'm glad I took care of it. First off, I plug welded the old hole, with a strip of aluminum behind it, so I didn't accidentally weld it to my table. After a few passes on both sides, I did actually follow proper finishing practices and blended all the metal as best I could. I decided to go with a smaller hole this time around, as the original hole was a little too big and the antenna would pop out at random. I drilled it to 1/4" (the same size as the ball tip on the whip) and I don't foresee that being a problem anymore. Forgot to take a pic of the hole, but it's a hole. Use your imagination.

Paint prep involved a rinse with a soapy water shop towel, wipe down until dry, then acetone for all the bare metal. I hit the driver's side with two coats of primer, and one coat of bed liner while I worked on prepping the passenger side. That's about when I called it a night. I'm gonna do another coat of bed liner in the morning, and the passenger side is standing by to be painted, and I also started stripping the old paint off the bull bar for the bumper.

Before

After

Before

After(ish)

·
Registered
24 Posts
My roof rack project went fine, except for one small problem and one big problem. For those wondering, the rack I picked was Hooke Road's JK Hardtop Rear Roof rack. The small problem was that the parts didn't fit together well enough to thread a couple of the bolts, but I can improvise a solution. The big problem was when my assistant carelessly put four 2" long scratches on the body-color roofline on his side while lifting the rack into place. My side got no scratches, despite him being taller and stronger than me. So you can all learn from my mistake and get an assistant with strength of body AND mind.

I also installed some rock/puddle lights. The front and sides are connected to the low beams, which is how I learned that my right headlight was wired backward at the factory. Texas doesn't care about under-body light colors. The rear one hooks into the trailer taillight wiring, with a waterproof pushbutton (because Texas doesn't allow always-on white lights facing the rear), mounted so that I can light on the hitch area.

I decided the spot lights that came with the roof rack weren't going to make sense mounted inside the roof rack front edge as designed. They would sit 2 inches above the roof and about 3 feet behind the leading edge of the roof, so they might light up the scenery but would not reach the road. So I soldered up a simple wiring harness, with heat-shrink tubing to waterproof the connections, and mounted them to the bumper as daytime running lamps. That was great until I discovered that, despite being LEDs, they drew so much power from Aux 1 (M7) that the cigarette lighter plug wouldn't charge my phone anymore. The 10 amp fuse didn't burn, there just wasn't enough power left for the wireless phone holder/charger. So now I have to figure out another way to wire them. Edit: I've done some research and clearly I need a 4-pin relay, so I'll be ordering one soon.

Full size images are in my gallery (once they're moderated): https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/members/dlw6/albums/jeep-pics/

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Installed Bilstein shocks front and rear; replaced coil spacers and OEM coil dampers front and rear. It has been 10 years and Teraflex coil spacers were all rotted out and breaking up. Aftermarkets need to improve their rubbers or whatever they are.

·
Registered
246 Posts
3.6 Cam Phaser Install

I've just completed replacing all four cam phasers, spark plugs, PCV valve and valve cover gaskets and seals.
That 3.6 is purring now, but before the work when at idle it would intermittently make a racket that sounded like a diesel engine, had codes for all four cams saying "Position Slow Response"
I was advised to check the galley plugs in the head behind and just below the phasers, because they are prone to coming loose and causing a low pressure oil supply to operate phasers. One plug was loose, unscrewed it with my fingers, decided to replace phasers anyway due to 106K mileage and a perfect time to change spark plugs and PCV at the same time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice work.

I rewired my DRLs with a 4-wire relay, so it wouldn't draw too much from Aux 1.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I used the opportunity to also permanently wire in my solar panel (to keep the battery topped up) to the battery cables. The relay chained off that with T-taps. The battery is a year old, but I'm hoping the solar panel will take it at least a year past warranty.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice to see this thread's picking up again! I was worried I was gonna be the only poster.

Anyway, just got back this week from being out of town for a family emergency. Thankfully everything's ok now. The day before I found out I had to leave, I got the bull bar on the bumper primed, the passenger windshield bracket mounted. I also realized I have to strip all the paint back off the driver's bracket, because like an IDIOT I somehow got a can of rubberized undercoat mixed in with my cans of bed liner. Didn't realize something was wrong until the next morning. D'oh!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Duh!

I think all of us have made mistakes we didn't realize until later (in my case, much later). I think many have been lying low, thinking about what they plan to do instead of doing it. I ran out of mental and physical energy so I haven't done anything to my Jeep in the past 18 months. Pretty soon I'll start working on it since the Las Cruces Chile Challenge will be in March.

I need to replace the front Track Bar on my JK since the mechanic who was planning to align the Jeep said I need to do so. Maybe I'll get it done this week since the rains won't come back for a few days. [We had way to much rain in the area; one place south of me had almost 6" in two hours, so they had too much water flowing down the dirt streets.]

·
Registered
413 Posts
Maybe I'll get it done this week since the rains won't come back for a few days. [We had way to much rain in the area; one place south of me had almost 6" in two hours, so they had too much water flowing down the dirt streets.]
Yea I was in AZ while I was out of town (actually drove right by your neck of the woods on the way there/back) and it's DEFINATELY the wet season in that part of the country right now.

Anyway, got the bull bar for the front bumper bedlined today. Took about 5 minutes, and then I spent the rest of the day/night working on something not jeep related, but still needing done. Whatever, at least I did something to the Heep this week :smile2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
High speed shimmy and steep face drop test.

This week we took a pretty big road trip. Huntington Beach to Draper Utah and back. For the trip I picked up a Rightline SUV shade, nothing fancy. Seeing the triple digit temps on the route, made me think I would need some shade since we would be dining alfresco at the table on the back door with the dog. Day one we just went flat out up 15 to St. George Utah. It is a very nice town but I think it is about to become the next Austin or Portland or something.

Day 2 was the trek day. A fire on 15 had it closed so we made a detour to try and crawl up to Toquerville falls. Since I had my dog, I couldn't do it. Some of the inclines going down were too steep. She fell off the back seat on one and I decided to back off and head back down the trail. The Jeep Nav said that 15 was only 45 minutes faster than going all the way around through Zion National Park, so we took the scenic route. Too bad the sat nav can't figure out sightseeing time.

Sitting in the passenger seat was my wife and her big dang camera. Needless to say I heard "stop here" alot and the 45 minute time difference turned into almost 5 hours. My parents weren't happy that I was three hours late for dinner but we had a great day. My wife had never seen buffalo, and we stumbled on a heard at a ranch with a dozen or so new babies. It made her day and almost made up for almost scaring the pee out of her going down one of the faces. I'll admit it was a bit much for a bone stock Sahara.

Speaking of which - The speed limit was 80 coming back on this trip. The little 2.0t ran like a champ never shifting out of 8th on any hills coming home but... Every bump in the road caused a pretty big shimmy in the front end. I assume when I finish chewing the stock tires up and I go to 305's or 35's or something bigger this gets worse? Anyone have any experience with the 1.5" or 2" Fox Mopar lift kits? I have read in another thread about bearing issues as well.

Is there anything that anyone found to help dampen the shimmy with bigger tires/lift kits and are there better bearings to handle the larger tires? My plan is to get the factory mopar lift kit since I have the 8yr extended warranty which says it is void if I use an after market lift kit. The JLU has too many computers, the next one I am going back to a TJ or YJ or something simple but keeping this one until 7 years 10 months or 82k miles whichever comes first.

Day three we stopped in Mesquite Nevada for the night to find the mask rules were back and dogs were not welcome anywhere. Apparently some dimwit dog owner brought a dog that bites to a restaurant. I only take my dog to patios, and many times get it to go. The only reason the hotel let us stay is we had an advance reservation, and the dog has an AKC good citizen certificate and working dog license. I don't play the "service dog" bs game.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,382 Posts
Pulled off my cracked/broken stock spate tire carrier.

Trying to decide if I want to replace it with another factory one, or simply a tramp stamp or cover, and if so, which one..

Any opinions?

Hoss

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today and over the last month or so I have done a ton. On a 2011 Rubicon

1. Installed new Adams Driveshafts front and rear
2. Installed new sway bar links front and rear. Got rid of the factory ones and the newer ones are a bit longer to put the sway bars back into a better position
3. New shocks all around
4. New Yukon rear diff cover. Changed the gear oil front and rear and gaskets
5. Replaced the rear pinion seal
6. Installed new steering stabilizers. Just replaced the shocks themselves
7. Had new Borla cat back exhaust installed. This was a freebie because my son knows folks at the local Borla plant. Have gotten new exhaust parts and labor free for my Tacoma and Jeep. Love my son!

I must say, all the suspension work has paid off. It rides like a dream now. At least as much as a 2011 Jeep on 37s can ride like a dream lol. Still have a lot of future work to do on it but its a start.

·
Registered
413 Posts

1. Installed new Adams Driveshafts front and rear
2. Installed new sway bar links front and rear. Got rid of the factory ones and the newer ones are a bit longer to put the sway bars back into a better position
3. New shocks all around
4. New Yukon rear diff cover. Changed the gear oil front and rear and gaskets
5. Replaced the rear pinion seal
6. Installed new steering stabilizers. Just replaced the shocks themselves
7. Had new Borla cat back exhaust installed. This was a freebie because my son knows folks at the local Borla plant. Have gotten new exhaust parts and labor free for my Tacoma and Jeep. Love my son!

I must say, all the suspension work has paid off. It rides like a dream now. At least as much as a 2011 Jeep on 37s can ride like a dream lol. Still have a lot of future work to do on it but its a start.
Good choice on the Adams shafts. I put the 1310 solid ujoint kit in mine and I LOVE them.

I got a few things done this week. Got the engine put back together, along with fresh oil to compliment the new filter that came with the housing. Fired it up so I could move the Jeep around the garage for better space utilization. I also finished painting/reinstalling the bull bar and lights that go on it.
I finally figured out what to do about the lightbar bracket I messed up painting. Decided since I already messed it up once, I might as well do it right this time. I bought a container big enough to hold it, then soaked it in acetone overnight. Whatever paint didn't melt off, came off in seconds with a wire wheel. So fresh metal to paint is always a plus. Got a coat of primer on it, as well as two coats of bedliner. And yes, I confirmed that I was using the right stuff this time before spraying it on :banana:

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's a lot of work...reminds me of this song:

·
Premium Member
10,382 Posts
Removed my broken stock spare tire carrier and stock license plate holder, installed the new tramp stamp /spare delete kit, wired up the new 3rd brake light and license plate light, along with the hardware plug kit and license plate hole cover , all good to go now!

Hoss

26621 - 26640 of 26690 Posts