Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What can I use inside the fuel tank skid plate?

989 5
I have an 85 cj7 with a leaking fuel tank. When I dropped the tank I noticed the drain holes in the skid plate were plugged with rust scale. There is a plastic shield there that insulates the tank so it's not metal to metal. The problem is the plastic was cracked in 3 places and I can't bring myself to re use it. So my question is what can I use instead? I read that the plastic piece isn't easy to find so I was thinking of painting the inside of the with an under coating or a roll on bed liner. Also if I do is it safe?

Any info is helpful, thanks in advance
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already bought a steel tank before I dropped it. I see your point though, money for the tank and roll on bed liner kit etc. I didn't want to spend the big bucks for the poly tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! JeepHammer that's is really good information that I hadn't considered. I'm going to look for the HDPE as it sounds like a just what I need. I never really had issues with the sending unit but I'm sure I will once I mess with it. I do recall that I ran the tank down on empty for while and it still had 3 gallons in it so I'll try the process you outlined in your post and extend the suction tube.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.