Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting further into my build stages, and the one thing that I haven't done yet, which I've seen others do on their build threads, is adding a CB radio and antennae. I've been wheeling for about 4 years now and have never wheeled with someone who has used one or had the need for one. We've never been in a situation, YET, and I pray it stays that way.

But, I am wondering the benefits of adding a decent CB, as well as an antennae.

This is a serious question! :thumbsup:

·
oooh you almost had it
1,117 Posts
some clubs, (like ours) require them which is usually the only time i actually use it. other than those long road trips on the interstate :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
some clubs, (like ours) require them which is usually the only time i actually use it. other than those long road trips on the interstate :D
He's right. Plus, some places require that you have one so you can radio in if you get stuck. Cops monitor a few channels I think (I may be wrong here) so you "could" use it in event of emergency I guess...?

Or talk to your relatives while escaping the cops. And, then of course you can pretend to your last name is Duke :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm going to install one after the holidays. They are cheap insurance. I just moved to SW Colorado, and my cell phone is pretty useless outside of town...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Bandit calling Snowman.. You got your ears on good buddy?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess it would be a smart investment then. I have noticed they we all tend to hang our arms out of the window to direct the others behind us to avoid a certain rut or to point something else out. By the time I've relayed the information, BOOM! they're already stuck.

Problem is, now I've got to convince my young group of guys to get one (18-22). I was the first to install a winch, and while others haven't done it yet, they're really thanking me for having one. Maybe this will be the same.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
A couple years ago, I was leading a group of about 8 XJs on Gold Mountain up in Big Bear.The front side of the mountain had a lot of snow. The back side of the mountain was very icy, since it's shielded from the sun.

We were headed down and hit a section where I started to slide downhill. First instinct is to brake, but I had to stay off the brake as much as possible to retain what little traction I had. It was sketchy, but still fun at the same time.

When I reached the bottom, I got on the CB to tell everybody to be careful, go one at a time, and to give the guy in front plenty of room. Next thing I know, everybody's sliding down the hill running into each other. One guy even spun around and was sliding down the hill backwards until he ran into the guy in front of him.

WTH, didn't you guys hear me on the CB? Well, I find out one guy's CB didn't work, another didn't have the volume up, and a couple others didn't have them turned on.

So yes, a CB can be very useful. But you have to monitor them in order for them to be effective. :p

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man - sounds like a hell of a night right there. We do mostly night time wheeling on private property of our friend's (100+ acres of trail, mud, and a few rock gardens). I really am convinced that these things would greatly benefit our group. And hell, even if I never get use out of it I can always install a PA!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
CB are good but they have limited range, from a few hundred yards to in good conditions maybe 5 miles. Most my groups have CB problem is not many have been tuned and only work if you are close to each other.

A CB will probably not get you help if you needed it, ie medical, police, etc...

Another group I belong to almost everyone is a HAM (KJ6KXI), and we don't use the CB ver much anymore just HAM and it is amazing to have crystal clear communications on the trail and anywhere on the mountain. I have hit repeaters from my jeep over 150 miles away. I also have local forrest service and police programmed into my HT unit that in a case of emergency I "could" talk to the dispatch directly. (This is for only real bad life threatening emergency! not help I got a flat tire) I also do a lot of remote trails with no cell signal that only a HAM radio would be able to get signal out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the information, I need somebody with that type of range for when I go up north to the mountains. Also, I'll definitely be checking out your website - sounds amazing.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I've seen them used to turn every Jeep on a trail ride into a sort of chat room. Anybody talking can be heard by everyone for info, tips, etc. Spotters often use handheld models so he can be in a safe position out of your way and doesn't have to scream over top of your engine noise.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Like others have said they are great off-road to communicate with people in your group.

On a recent road trip, we got stuck in traffic from a wreck. At that time, I thought it would be nice to have a CB in my other vehicles. I went home and scored a like new Cobra Road handheld off of eBay for 30 bucks. It has a portable antenna, plus a magnetic one you can put on your roof. I used it last week on a road trip. It worked great. The radio, both antennas, and power cord fit nicely in a zippered bag for storage.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
We use CBs all the time, even if its a small "group" of just two rigs. Its nice to communicate on the way to the trail, on the trail, and on the ride home. And besides the convenience aspect, they can be an important tool as XJohnnyC illustrated above.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
communication what else?

along with the emergancy freqs and weather reports

This is my entire CB setup "Cobra 75 WX ST" its an all in one set up doesnt get in the way plus its quick disco and can be hidden or moved to another vehicle. The power inverter for the CB setup is under the console kept out of the way.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Yeah Bandit this here's Snowman, I'm 10-2 on you good buddy go ahead.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Just a pic of my setup, I also have a Handheld Unit for Ham. I plan to redo the center console and mount both the Mobile Units a lot nicer and out of the way more.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
CB are good but they have limited range, from a few hundred yards to in good conditions maybe 5 miles. Most my groups have CB problem is not many have been tuned and only work if you are close to each other.

A CB will probably not get you help if you needed it, ie medical, police, etc...

Another group I belong to almost everyone is a HAM (KJ6KXI), and we don't use the CB ver much anymore just HAM and it is amazing to have crystal clear communications on the trail and anywhere on the mountain. I have hit repeaters from my jeep over 150 miles away. I also have local forrest service and police programmed into my HT unit that in a case of emergency I "could" talk to the dispatch directly. (This is for only real bad life threatening emergency! not help I got a flat tire) I also do a lot of remote trails with no cell signal that only a HAM radio would be able to get signal out.
PERFECT POST!!! i was hoping nobody would post this so i can sound like the smart one, but you beat me to it.

Another example of why a CB is good. Yesterday on our snow run, we used it to communicate. If someone got stuck, we could radio it in so we didnt have to get out and ask (kinda nice when your in the snow). Its also great for on the trails when somebody is stopped and you cant see why they are. For maybe $100, its not bad. Although HAM is def the way to go if you are by yourself.

·
Registered
150 Posts
hmmm my Dad used to do allot of HAM Radios, maybe me and some of my Jeep friends will have to look into that...

Anywho, Theres not too much I can add to why CBs are good, but one time when my Jeep started smoking... I could immediately tell my friend who just turned the corner to stop so we could get out and see what was wrong. Another scenario is one night it was snowing real bad and me and my friend used them to keep in communication with each other.

Yeah you could always used a Cell Phone, but you don't need a tower, you are the tower.

Not to mention the use of them in certain Zombie Movies is a hint to another use... :shhh: :peaking:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts