Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
455 Posts
I haven't had to change a brake line in YEARS, like back to the '70s when I had air cooled VWs.
Even my boat trailer used in salt water has the same lines on it as when I installed the brakes in 2004
I have to say I'm not overly impressed in the quality of modern Jeeps. That plastic oil filter housing on the 3.6 is another example. For shame!
Agreed. Sadly it's not just Jeeps that are poorly built now. We are going backwards in a lot of ways. When I was a kid we were still driving cars from the '60s and a vehicle's engine was worn out at 100,000 but it was rebuildable and the body was good for many decades. My first car was an all original 1949 Chevy and it still ran and drove even though it smoked and burned a quart of oil every time I took it to town. Then sometime in the 1990's cars were built to run 200,000+ miles, but the bodies would wear out and fail (more plastic parts to crack and break). Now with turbo's, direct cylinder injection and nylon fuel lines our engines are failing or catching fire in under 100,000 miles. Simple logic tells you that if you are making 300hp in a 4 cylinder engine, it won't last as long. I have a sneaky feeling that the new Chrysler inline 6 is not going to be near as durable or long lasting as the old inline 6 was.

We have made the cars where the bodies now fail sooner and the engines are starting to fail sooner as well. Then we make them so complicated that no one can figure out what is wrong with them when something does go wrong. They may be faster, safer and get better gas mileage but they are big throw-aways now after 3-5 years. I am seeing more and more posts on here where dealers are unable to repair various new Jeeps with ghost problems that no one can seem to figure out. Sorry about the rant... It's just frustrating. I used to buy a new cars but lately I've starting buying vehicles from the '90's that I can work myself on and keep running.

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
455 Posts
I work from home but still have step kids to haul around. My DD's are 1990's Toyotas. They are easy to work on, dependable and get good gas milage. We do have a 2011 Tahoe that does OK. We use it if we need to haul everyone at once, but that isn't all too often. I wouldn't want to do any major repairs to it though.

I really don't want to have to buy a new car. They don't make an electric car that I know of that will hold two adults, 6 kids, a dog and go from Kettle Falls to Yakima.

For Jeeps I went with a 95 ZJ mostly stock (2" BB) and a 98 ZJ with a 6" lift, tube doors and all the fun off road bits. Those I can keep running. I do have a "parts" ZJ in the back yard as well, that I will be pulling the steering pump and gear box out of next week to replace the leaky ones in the 98.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts