Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a ‘17 JK with about 65,000 on it, first a rear caliper seized up this March and this weekend the driver side front brake hose failed and would not release pressure on the caliper. Never had these problems on either the old 98 ZJ (although the OE rotors on those warped easily but aftermarket cured that) or the O7 WK.
BTW those hoses are on back order and not that easy to find; found one at Advance Auto.
Poor quality or just random stuff?

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
Parts OEM are not what they were, even for a xj. In most any case if i can i go to a better after market. Brake lines should not be that hard to source. ? I bought a set of rears that are few inches longer, they are extra parts on hand though. Think from rock auto. Nothing fancy. but have not looked. even amazon sells parts.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had to change a brake line in YEARS, like back to the '70s when I had air cooled VWs.
Even my boat trailer used in salt water has the same lines on it as when I installed the brakes in 2004
I have to say I'm not overly impressed in the quality of modern Jeeps. That plastic oil filter housing on the 3.6 is another example. For shame!

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
455 Posts
I haven't had to change a brake line in YEARS, like back to the '70s when I had air cooled VWs.
Even my boat trailer used in salt water has the same lines on it as when I installed the brakes in 2004
I have to say I'm not overly impressed in the quality of modern Jeeps. That plastic oil filter housing on the 3.6 is another example. For shame!
Agreed. Sadly it's not just Jeeps that are poorly built now. We are going backwards in a lot of ways. When I was a kid we were still driving cars from the '60s and a vehicle's engine was worn out at 100,000 but it was rebuildable and the body was good for many decades. My first car was an all original 1949 Chevy and it still ran and drove even though it smoked and burned a quart of oil every time I took it to town. Then sometime in the 1990's cars were built to run 200,000+ miles, but the bodies would wear out and fail (more plastic parts to crack and break). Now with turbo's, direct cylinder injection and nylon fuel lines our engines are failing or catching fire in under 100,000 miles. Simple logic tells you that if you are making 300hp in a 4 cylinder engine, it won't last as long. I have a sneaky feeling that the new Chrysler inline 6 is not going to be near as durable or long lasting as the old inline 6 was.

We have made the cars where the bodies now fail sooner and the engines are starting to fail sooner as well. Then we make them so complicated that no one can figure out what is wrong with them when something does go wrong. They may be faster, safer and get better gas mileage but they are big throw-aways now after 3-5 years. I am seeing more and more posts on here where dealers are unable to repair various new Jeeps with ghost problems that no one can seem to figure out. Sorry about the rant... It's just frustrating. I used to buy a new cars but lately I've starting buying vehicles from the '90's that I can work myself on and keep running.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is why we kept and I am restoring our old '98 ZJ with the 4.0 six. All cast iron, built for 200,000 miles easily.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
I used to buy a new cars but lately I've starting buying vehicles from the '90's that I can work myself on and keep running.
after 2012 we stopped buying new/ish. The jeep rides a trailer, its pulled by a 1996 F250 7.3 TD/the DD. that has over 200k. did a bit over 13mpg average 1300 miles. To and back to Rubicon, does it every may/june. Jeep on its 37s can hardly get 14mpg.

Wife has the last real SUV ever made. 4x4 1 ton Diesel 7.3 last year of those. It has 265K miles. can pull 10k. Its on 35s and still gets 17mpg. keep it under 70mph. Her truck has seen repairs though. things do wear out but the blocks are rocks. Turbos / injectors tend to go at around 200k. 300k-500+ is not uncommon. But they run dirty compred to anything to day. Not as much power as well. But they Tune very easy. even can have more then a few tunes on the fly.

I would not even buy a Jeep unless it was a jeep. If i need even a another jeep I will buy a used Buggy for off road use. The JKR was our last donation. It will live its life as a trail jeep, sits waiting in the shop. Dusy Ershem trail is next up end of Aug. 33 of the roughest miles there is. Not the hardest. Long as the horse dont break a leg that will make this jeeps 8 th pass of that trail. well 8 been there not all made it.

still say today if i needed a new DD it would be a Tesla. But I need a truck and it need to tow over 650 miles. No one will make a truck near that in my life that wont cost more then a house. Wife's SUV can hold 44g x

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeep is still having parts back order issues.
Went to my dealer to order a new brake line (had to use aftermarket to get it back on the road) and the ABS sensor which is also acting up. 2 weeks out at least.
Honestly this crap is what will push me away from Jeep. Between NLA and back order parts, Ily I may look elsewhere after nearly a quarter century of Jeep ownership. They seem interested in leasing and selling new vehicles but don't give a crap about the owners who keep older vehicles going, and, this is for a JK, only out of production for 4 years!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep and heard from my parts guy at the local dealer, that lovely plastic piece of crap oil filter housing for the 3.6 is on back order AGAIN! I actually bought a couple spares, one OE Mopar and one the aluminum aftermarket replacement by Dorman. Which, is also back ordered. So if you have a JK with the 3.6 and the housing starts leaking like a seive lots a luck, all you have is Chinese aftermarket now.
Wound up finding NTK ABS sensors on Rock Auto, that is the same company that makes NGK spark plugs and the O2 sensors for Jeeps as well, so ordered a couple of them.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
the coolers can leak and just be the seals too.

They cannot get parts for new ones as well. So when they break and they do, same issues. Though the JL has been around now 4 years all most. It has changed as well. With the attempt to make it plug in as well. Adds a lot more parts to break. I dont see a JL not doing this to meet a new MPG goal or go Ev. some places soon they wont have ICE. So jeeps in a bit of a WTF do we do now as are the rest. Tack on inflation do to fuel and the other things done to create more inflation.

same 3.6 and its issues. so yea

I would not even buy a ICE vehicle again at this point. If you are young more so perhaps. Im old. I dont have to DD to work. I only own a Jeep to go off road/camping off road and am in clubs. We do a lot of wheeling all over the west. I do not even drive the JKR there its on a trailer.

We have two trucks, ones a real SUV. No one makes a real E truck. No one will in my life that wont cost 200k. What a real truck... 8 foot bed extra cab or 4 door can tow at least 10k and go at least 400 miles towing that......crickets. The wifes SUV can do more then that since it can get 12mpg towing 44 gallons....265,000 miles too. Its killed a trans. New turbo, injectors Hpop normal stuff at 200k..

If i wanted a DD it would be a Tesla at this point. Off road when this JKR dies or i kill it. If I need a 4x4 i will buy a used rock Buggy.

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
455 Posts
I work from home but still have step kids to haul around. My DD's are 1990's Toyotas. They are easy to work on, dependable and get good gas milage. We do have a 2011 Tahoe that does OK. We use it if we need to haul everyone at once, but that isn't all too often. I wouldn't want to do any major repairs to it though.

I really don't want to have to buy a new car. They don't make an electric car that I know of that will hold two adults, 6 kids, a dog and go from Kettle Falls to Yakima.

For Jeeps I went with a 95 ZJ mostly stock (2" BB) and a 98 ZJ with a 6" lift, tube doors and all the fun off road bits. Those I can keep running. I do have a "parts" ZJ in the back yard as well, that I will be pulling the steering pump and gear box out of next week to replace the leaky ones in the 98.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts