Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow! Scary stuff there, I'll think twice next time I grab any old solvent off the shelf before welding something. :( I have used Acetone to clean for years because it dries so fast I always figured I was good to go, I'll have to check into that to see how safe that is..

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Wow! Scary stuff there, I'll think twice next time I grab any old solvent off the shelf before welding something. :( I have used Acetone to clean for years because it dries so fast I always figured I was good to go, I'll have to check into that to see how safe that is..
The biggest concern you'll have with acetone is its flammability. As long as you're accounting for that (good ventilation), you should be fine.

It's specifically the perchloroethylene in the presence of an arc weld that is the concern. Stuff doesn't burn, but converts into the gas used to kill more people than any other chemical weapon in WW1

Reactions: pgk1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wish I had known about this when it was first posted. I'm sure I have used brake and contact cleaners in the past with no adverse effects,"Won't be doing that again".
Thanks for the post, it's not to late to teach this old dog new tricks...

·
Premium Member
9,780 Posts
Suggested reading on the “new” site!
this is definitely good for a bump. After being a safety guy a couple times and dealing with osha stuff in the past I did not know this.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts