·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
GROUND POUNDER
12,318 Posts
Phosgene.... Mmmmm....

Bad thing is.. prior to a couple years ago, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.. and actually welded areas that had been "degreased" with brake cleaner.. it smelled horrible..

Glad I know better now..:cheers2:

·
Registered
615 Posts
wow never would have known that. thanks for the post :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just found this govt article about some welding material warnings, includes phosgene as talked about in the article that AmbuGrl posted: http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtraining/htmlfiles/weldhlth.html

Also the zinc coating in galvanized steel can be toxic as well, its always important to check the MSDS for each material you are going to weld

·
Registered
30 Posts
I confirm about galvanized steel. I used to work in an elevator shop and weld that a lot with no aspiration system and had to quit before 1 year for health purpose order of my doctor, started having symptomes
after few month ,same for the guy who was working with me and the previous welder who worked there for over 6 year died.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Oh my god. This must be a warning sign from the Gods. I was littlerally about to go pick up some break cleaner to clean off the oil on some tube I was welding on for my job. Thanks for posting this, it may have saved my life!

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
I've used brake cleaner, degreaser, and whatever was handy in the shed to clean that oil film off steel. I'll never do it again. Thanks for this post, I'm going to pass this info on to some friends.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Im guessing a chlorine free brake cleaner would be a better substitute?
I doubt it, it has pretty nasty stuff in it as well. I always though brake cleaner left no residue. I think I electronic contact cleaner leaves no residue but I would not bet on it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
In case anyone has not seen a Material safety data sheet. Here is the one for CRC Brakleen. The one from the OPs link

Brakleen

"In the U.S., the Occupational Safety and Health Administration requires that MSDS be available to employees for potentially harmful substances handled in the workplace under the Hazard Communication regulation. The MSDS is also required to be made available to local fire departments and local and state emergency planning officials under Section 311 of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act. The American Chemical Society defines Chemical Abstracts Service Registry Numbers (CAS numbers) which provide a unique number for each chemical and are also used internationally in MSDSs."
(MSDS info from wikipedia.org)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use to work in a plant for 3 years that made phosgene gas, I was caught up a leak and inhaled a lot of gas. I spent the next 14 hours in medical under oxygen. I ended up with a sever case of chemical pneumonia it took me about 6 months to fully recover. Phosgene is an acid gas and when mixed with the fluid in your lungs becomes very corrosive. If anyone is unfortunate and inhales phosgene please go to the hospital they can put you on a breathing machine while your lungs heal. One breath will do a lot of damage as did to the guy in the article. If he would have taken a second breath he may not be alive. As a welder for the past 24 years my advice to everyone is to use a torch or buffer to remove any oil, don't use any type of degreaser.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts