Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

welder question.

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  wildtmpckjzg 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That is an awesome stick welder, You would have to be really tuned up to be able to use it on thinner metal or thick metal. Farm use is probably the best use. Although I have come across some welders that could keep up with the best! For that kind of money I would jump all over a Miller and a generator to drive it.
The picture below is 1/10th of what I had to cut and grind out from the PO of my build. All stick welder. Now its been Mig'd.

Attachments

#8 ·
for the build I have coming up I need something that can handle it.
What are you going to be welding and how thick is the material? For that amount i could get 5 used welders off of craigs list.
It will be for a build I have coming up. Thickest is 3/8" but it's not just the welding that has me interested with this. With the generator I can also run my plasma cutter and other welders and if need be, if the power gos out I can keep some of the electricity going in my house. Enough to keep my freezers, and lights on at least.

#6 ·
A good a mig welder would be a better option a Miller, Lincoln or Hobart gas run welder. That way you could do both thin and thick gage metal and I would suggest you use gas also like NOS or Argon. Instead of flux core wire you'll get a better weld and a nicer looking one at that. And with either one of those welders you could get a Tig hook up also for the fine and precise welding jobs. And you can run all electric tools off of them also.

#10 ·
Two thoughts .... 250 stick welder will pull same amp as a stove even elec dyer. Make you an extension cord that could run out to the project.

Another thought (which is how i would go) is a mig. 120v / 220v (switch wires to change volts) 160amp welder with gas does one heck of a job! Welded up a 80" grapple bucket few years ago with no issues and i am hard on it. I have one branded a snap-on but it is a lincoln. It welds great with just 120v and is my go to welder up to 1/4" ish. I have a 400amp tig / stick but never really use it. I have one of the old BARN TOP welder that is copper wound (many alum wound) that i pivked up for 100 used and it does the trick if i have heavy dirty metal. I have run it with a 5000w honda generator out in the woods with no problems.

#11 ·
I'm with most others on this. Buy a nice 220v mig welder and buy a 220v generator if you have to until you can get power run for it. I've got friends who run 100ft of homemade extension cable for their 220 welder and run it off their dryer outlet. It's not ideal but still way better than running a generator. What you linked is really meant for industrial welding at a job site. Did you see that this unit weighs 500 lbs?

Having done the whole suspension build, I can tell you that even the fan in the welder will start to drive you banana's after 20-30 minutes. Couldn't even imagine how obnoxious a generator would be.

#12 ·
ive thought about the extension cord and I don't think my wife will approve. Hobart does make a smaller generator but its a 4kw, 145a and rated for 130a @ 30% duty cycle. granted im not going to be welding THAT much to really need 100% duty cycle. on top of using it to run household items and possibly my air conditioning depending on draw on startup, when I start going to king of the hammers and tierra del sol, I can hoist it up in the bed of the truck and have a welder if I need it. https://www.hobartwelders.com/equip...pion-145-recoil-stick-welder-generator-m00393
im open to suggestions but I do need a generator with a welder but instead of having multiple tools taking up space when it comes in one package is a good idea and 11kw can power a lot stuff

#20 · (Edited)
Tonight I have just finished making an oil pan that will allow an ALH engine to run at 50 degrees (VW Vanagon application). My aluminium welding is getting fantastic when I weld stuff like 6061 aluminium. The filler rod that I am using is 5351 and my Miller Syncrowave 180 is of course on AC and biased around 7 to 8 for most welds that I do. With that setting I can get the very nice ripple effect that everyone thinks is so nice and the weld quality/penetration on 2 to 3mm thick aluminium is great - Best Flux Core Welder that is on commercially purchased aluminium. The instant I start welding on a Volkswagen oil pan or intake manifold I get all these little black flecks in the material and the welds turn out pretty crappy - it just doesn't flow worth a darn almost a crust on it when it is molten. Everything is cleaned with brake cleaner and then I scrub the heck out of it with a stainless brush to ensure that it is clean clean clean... Does anyone have an idea of what the alloy of aluminium Volkswagen is using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.