Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on installing the throttle cable for the Weber 38. The Solex bracket was completely backwards, so I had to do some bending to make it work as a temporary fix. The throttle cable hits the brake booster and the upper steering shaft knuckle and feels like it is binding sometimes when you release the pedal. Redline said this would work but I feel like I need a different linkage. What am I missing?

Attachments

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
Working on installing the throttle cable for the Weber 38. The Solex bracket was completely backwards, so I had to do some bending to make it work as a temporary fix. The throttle cable hits the brake booster and the upper steering shaft knuckle and feels like it is binding sometimes when you release the pedal. Redline said this would work but I feel like I need a different linkage. What am I missing?
It looks like you are missing the throttle linkage kit that is usually included in the Weber 38 K551 package for CJs.

It allow the throttle cable to pull straight down, instead of horizontally like yours is configured.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2026032361...pCtCvgnwR6HjLyfKfEl-oqlxMXE8kf5AaAstKEALw_wcB

Matt

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like you are missing the throttle linkage kit that is usually included in the Weber 38 K551 package for CJs.

It allow the throttle cable to pull straight down, instead of horizontally like yours is configured.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20260323619...pCtCvgnwR6HjLyfKfEl-oqlxMXE8kf5AaAstKEALw_wcB

Matt
I am missing this bracket too. There is no place for the throttle cable to attach to the rod in the kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/202335458605

Gotta love previous owner modifications. I guess I need to do some bracket shopping.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
you have the same kit I have for mine, but mine is RHD so the cable has a different start point. My carb is 180 degrees the other way. Works very well.

I am not sure it would work for a LHD but you could look at turning the carb round.

Attachments

Reactions: Charleston82CJ7

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have not seen the carburetor orientated in the above pictures.
Although, my notes say up to 1977 6cyl to use this bracket, also can use for no power brakes, cable straight out of the fire wall for forwand back acceleration.
Hope this is some help.
UTN

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I am noticing that you do not have a "thicker" gasket in the choke pull off.
I am questioning if you have what they call a "bulk" 38-DGES, this is when they pull it off the pallet and send it to you, and not in a conversion kit?

Asking for a friend.
UTN

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am noticing that you do not have a "thicker" gasket in the choke pull off.
I am questioning if you have what they call a "bulk" 38-DGES, this is when they pull it off the pallet and send it to you, and not in a conversion kit?

Asking for a friend.
UTN
This was the K-380 kit (does not come with the linkage or adaptor plates). It is "supposed" to be a direct bolt on if you are replacing a 32/36 or according to Weber-Redline a Solex (Weber knockoff carb), with a Weber 38.

I think the kit assumes that the linkage is already correct. My Jeep is missing the accelerator bracket that mounts to the manifold as well, so the linkage would not have worked out of the box either way. The bracket COULD work if the throttle cable was a bit shorter, but it kept binding the way it was.

The Solex throttle pulled from the passenger side, so the bracket worked fine for it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
This was the K-380 kit (does not come with the linkage or adaptor plates). It is "supposed" to be a direct bolt on if you are replacing a 32/36 or according to Weber-Redline a Solex (Weber knockoff carb), with a Weber 38.

I think the kit assumes that the linkage is already correct. My Jeep is missing the accelerator bracket that mounts to the manifold as well, so the linkage would not have worked out of the box either way. The bracket COULD work if the throttle cable was a bit shorter, but it kept binding the way it was.

The Solex throttle pulled from the passenger side, so the bracket worked fine for it.
The bend in your picture #2 in the first post looks pretty close to the picture I posted?

The K380 is just as you say, a replacement/upgrade for the already existing 32/36-DGEV and uses your existing linkages.

The extra thick gasket on the choke pull off we noticed missing is used instead of making the large adjustments for a 6 cyl engine. My friend wanted to know. :smile2:

UTN

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bend in your picture #2 in the first post looks pretty close to the picture I posted?

The K380 is just as you say, a replacement/upgrade for the already existing 32/36-DGEV and uses your existing linkages.

The extra thick gasket on the choke pull off we noticed missing is used instead of making the large adjustments for a 6 cyl engine. My friend wanted to know. /forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png

UTN
What is the benefit of the larger gasket on the choke pull off?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
What is the benefit of the larger gasket on the choke pull off?
Adjusting the choke pull-off on the larger 6 cyl engines delays the choke being pulled off.
Without adjusting the set-screw and removing the "freeze-plug" they just install a thicker gasket rather than do the adjustments. Liability issues I beleive.
UTN

EDIT:
Pulling the choke off TOO early results in a hesitation, cough, spit while the choke is on. This doesn't apply when the choke is off or opened after 4-5 minutes of voltage to the electric choke

1 - 13 of 13 Posts