Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, this thread was so extremely helpful. I could not get the heater or a/c to work in my Jeep. 1) First I had the blower resistor module replaced. 2) Then I took out the glove box, cut into the blend door area and replaced the blend doors like in this tutorial: http://www.heatertreater.net/RHD Installation.html 3) While the glove box was off I also got out the flashlight and visually verified that the recirculation door was opening and closing correctly. 4) I turned the heat on full blast and could hear the blower working but almost no air was coming through the vents. So I checked the cabin air filter. There wasn't one ever installed and the vent was clear. 5) I traced the vaccuum lines all through the engine and they looked in good shape and were connected correctly. 6) I found this thread and instantly realized the green/black wire mix-up had to be the problem. It made perfect sense that it was causing the fan to blow the wrong way. I took off the side floor panel and pull black two-wire harness out. Hardest part was getting the black and green wires out of the black harness. I used a flat head screwdriver and wedged them out with some effort, then reversed the placement of the black and green wire. The black wire is closest to passenger seat and green wire is closest to engine now. This immediately worked. Full air is blowing out of all vents and I have a heated Jeep for first time in two years. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 4 hours of frustrating diagnostic trees, replacing the A/C control and blower motor with ones out of my parts Jeep it took me 3 minutes to switch the wires in the connector and It's fixed! Yeah!!!!!! BTW Happy wife Happy Life!!!!

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
You're bumping a long dead thread :)

Anyway if you follow the instructions included with the blower resister EXACTLY as jeep instructs you to, you'll have miswired the resistor and it will suck, in so many ways will it suck. Jeep is 100% aware that their instructions are completely wrong and have for YEARS. And they won't correct it. I had the one in my 04 go belly up... 6 or 7 years ago. Much cussing was involved in the not cheap part not working until I spent some time on google and swapped the wires. And it was an old problem then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This sounds exactly like my problem...sounds like a ton of air blowing but usually not feeling it come out the vents. Went out to look at my wires and, if I’m looking at the right thing, the wires are red (not green) and black with black closest to seat. Does that mean mine are already in the right positions? I can hear things moving when I change vent positions so I’m assuming the doors are working but will try to get a look at the recirc/fresh door when I have some more time this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
This sounds exactly like my problem...sounds like a ton of air blowing but usually not feeling it come out the vents. Went out to look at my wires and, if I'm looking at the right thing, the wires are red (not green) and black with black closest to seat. Does that mean mine are already in the right positions? I can hear things moving when I change vent positions so I'm assuming the doors are working but will try to get a look at the recirc/fresh door when I have some more time this weekend.
It's pretty easy to check if the lower wheel is spinning in the correct direction. Remove the blower assembly from under the dash. It's just 3 or 4 screws. There is an arrow molded into the blower wheel that shows the correct direction of rotation. Keep your fingers away from the blower wheel and turn it on for just a second. You'll be able to see if it's spinning in the correct direction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem in my 02 Overland: I only get good airflow out of one vent, the center driver's side one. The one to the left of the driver has a bit more flow, but it's still low. And the ones on the right hand side are very low.

I reversed the wires to the fan motor and flow was about the same. Blend doors appear to work - A/C blows cold through all vents and heat works fine too. Fan controller appears to be OK and I can hear the fan turning furiously when at max speed. Defrost wasn't working when I bought the Jeep, but it was a loose linkage going into the servo and it now works well.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I have the same problem in my 02 Overland: I only get good airflow out of one vent, the center driver's side one. The one to the left of the driver has a bit more flow, but it's still low. And the ones on the right hand side are very low.

I reversed the wires to the fan motor and flow was about the same. Blend doors appear to work - A/C blows cold through all vents and heat works fine too. Fan controller appears to be OK and I can hear the fan turning furiously when at max speed. Defrost wasn't working when I bought the Jeep, but it was a loose linkage going into the servo and it now works well.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
You'll want to read this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/how-get-plenty-air-your-dash-vents-3544698/

It's a hell of a lot of work to get in there, but once I fixed the air leaks under the dash then the a/c worked a LOT better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks to this thread and this site, I now have my fan turning in the correct direction. A/C blows hard now. Reversed the 2 fan wires, BAM, DONE. New gas cap= no evac leak codes, new O2 sensor= no emission codes, 18 oz of r134= ice cold air. All fixed for under $100. Keep those posts and threads going everyone. they will help a first time Jeep owner like me.....!!!!:grin2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just reversed the wires (on my 2000 Jeep Wrangler) and my A/C is blowing full blast now! You all saved us at least $800. We have been working on this issue for weeks. Three excellent mechanics and one JEEP dealership diagnosis later we still had no idea what the issue was. Everything seemed to be working just barely blowing air. We changed out lots of parts (for no reason, just hoping one would fix it), checked all the vacuum hoses/doors, cleaned everything, and still had the same issue of hardly any air blowing. The next step was having a mechanic take out the dash and do some expensive troubleshooting. Last night I went digging the depths of the internet to find this thread. I can’t believe this worked. It took about 20 minutes. Took the battery out, took out 3 screws, switched the wires and BAM! Everything works! Nothing like the happiness felt when that air was finally blasting my face again. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts