Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for all your expertise in the past. My 09 jgc is giving me trouble with opening the door, I tried some remotes and they seem to do the same only opens the door when I’m right on top of the thing. I see some info with cleaning to contacts inside the module and I guess replacement is dealer’s only thing. So before I take the steering wheel apart was wondering if this could be my problem? No issue with staring and all the keys start her just fine even the cheap new fobs I got. Any help will be appreciated

Ken—

·
Registered
66 Posts
You FOB's might be starting to die out, whether it be the transmitter or the battery, and like you said "cheap fobs" wouldn't think it'd be the WCM since everything else works just fine inside the car. When the WCM goes down you'll be left with a no start concern.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did see a video that the module on the wheel has an antenna that just sits on the pins would make sense with the range. Surprisingly no TSB’s on this issue

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did see a video that the module on the wheel has an antenna that just sits on the pins would make sense with the range
There is a tool called a TMP-RKE analyzer, it's a Chrysler tool, but parts departments have it and it's used to measure the strength of the signal coming from the key. Most of the time they'll use it free to check FOB battery installs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just seems funny 4 keys same problem
It would very well be the WIN not receiving the signal from that distance, but with the vehicle being able to start and you having no issues other then the range of the FOB's ,might as well check the "control" first before tearing the steering column apart and saving a headache. Now, I have seen aftermarket keys give a good RF reading...and still be defective, aftermarket keys can do some funky things as for signals to the WIN, so that's still on the table. As for checking the "connection" if there was any problem with it, you'd be having a plethora of issues other then that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow great just to clarify 😜
I have two factories keys and two cheapo internet ones. One original key went dead! And one aftermarket key can’t fit (too many keys in logic)
So is there a different program sequence for the remote side of the key? I was able to get the new key with having 2 original keys and using the dash to program another.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have two factories keys and two cheapo internet ones. One original key went dead! And one aftermarket key can’t fit (too many keys in logic)
So is there a different program sequence for the remote side of the key? I was able to get the new key with having 2 original keys and using the dash to program another.
I've never programmed a key without the Witech software, so I was unaware you could program a key without it. Whenever we program a key at the dealer it requires a special PIN number to unlock the WIN and allow another key to be programmed.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The WIN module has an antenna for keyless entry and remote start if you have it . Probably just unplugged or loose. Under the left side dash behind steering wheel, but not inside steering column. The module will allow a maximum of 8 keys to be programmed, but you need the dealer if you want to delete some which it sounds like you need to do. I hear some locksmiths and high level programmers can also do.
The knee panel under the steering wheel is easy to remove so I would start there.

Reactions: Ken692

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never programmed a key without the Witech software, so I was unaware you could program a key without it. Whenever we program a key at the dealer it requires a special PIN number to unlock the WIN and allow another key to be programmed.
Yes you put the first key then the second key 🔑
Then your next (blank new key only) will be recorded
I will have to check under the dash see if anything looks suspicious

1 - 11 of 11 Posts